Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should Men Wear Bracelets ?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
When you reach a certain age, you can wear whatever you want [emoji1]

965b236ecbab4aca96ba243896911bb1.jpg

Cheers!
David

Edward

Bartender
Question: do leather accessories fall into the category of jewelry?

Interesting question, 'what is jewellery'. I tend to define anything which isn't actually clothing and doesn't serve a utilitarian purpose as being jewellery. Watches, so, I don't tend to think of that way because for me it's a utilitarian thing, telling the time, though I can see how their functional role has diminished for many people these days. Anything non-essential - rings, necklaces, cuffs, bracelets, tie clips, cufflinks (you can always opt for barrel-cuff shirts instead)....

Captain O

One of the Regulars
Some men find their advancing age "liberating". That's just fine by me. I, on the other hand, find excessive jewelry heavy and cumbersome.

In one of the Miami Vice episodes where an older actor by the name of Jon Polito played a character named "El Gato" Being Latino and heavyset, the man wore a large number of gold chains and what appeared to be a Mercury Cougar hood ornament on a chain as a medallion. Polito was portraying a heavy importer of Peruvian Flake "Marching Powder". His wardrobe consisted of gauche animal prints on velour robes, along with many rings on his fingers and thumbs atop his gloved hands. Using alcohol to excess, his corpulent, obese figure, along with his pencil-thin mustache, created a caricature that I can't seem to get out of my mind.

While it may not be entirely correct, it serves to remind me of how "oily" this mode of dress makes me feel when I see older men with excessive ornamentation.

Then again, it's just my opinion.

Sonero

Practically Family
As promised I will publish some of my costume jewelry. None of this is expensive minus the silver bracelet I purchased for $100 in Peru. The others are way below $100 in value. Some even as low as $20/30.

I really like to wear rosary beads. The RED one purchased yesterday is of the Santa Muerte. A lot of the narco guys wear these. Then the hamsa hand due to me being mediterranean.

rosary.jpg

The next is the silver bracelet from Peru. That's what got me back into bracelets recently.

Also two rings with what are called LAB DIAMONDS. They look like the real thing and who cares if it gets lost.

* If you look for jewelry with the 316L Stainless Steel you are buying surgical steel which will not rust or tarnish and is water proof.

I also get into a metal called TUNGSTEN. Make sure it is cobalt free. Beautiful scratch free jewelry can be made out of this metal. The downside is if you drop it, it cracks. Maybe I can post one or two items later if anyone is interested.

bracelet.jpg

Also now getting into BEADS. I especially like onyx and tiger eye patterns. ETSY is a great place to find unique items.

beads.jpg

Then here is a copy of the gold chain that got me robbed in Mexico. I take full responsibility. I didn't think anyone would think it was real. I live down there part time so people know me. It wasn't like I was a new tourist or something like that. Maybe it didn't matter that it had no value other than it looked nice.

Reagardless if dressed appropriately no one would know that this was fake. Fake jewelry has come a long way. I purchased this on a hip hop bling website. :) There are a few of these sites online.
gold.jpg

So YEAH I am a guy that likes to play around with jewelry. I think most of it looks tasteful or at least "works" under the right circumstances if styled properly.

Last edited:

Sonero

Practically Family
My leather cuff came in today. I am very pleased with the workmanship.

I took photos of it and the look that I was thinking about. I totally see this with dress pants and not jeans. It could go with jeans but that's not what I am going for at all. Sleek not Slick.

My shirt is open not to show off my fat stomach but to show how the dress belt w/ brass buckle and gold chain play off the cuff.

I dig this look.

* Add black dress shoes. Preferably side zip 6" Scarface type booties. I have those tucked away :)

Photo on 5-13-17 at 3.52 PM.jpg
Photo on 5-13-17 at 3.52 PM #2.jpg
Photo on 5-13-17 at 3.53 PM.jpg
Photo on 5-13-17 at 3.53 PM #3.jpg

Captain O

One of the Regulars
My leather cuff came in today. I am very pleased with the workmanship.

I took photos of it and the look that I was thinking about. I totally see this with dress pants and not jeans. It could go with jeans but that's not what I am going for at all. Sleek not Slick.

My shirt is open not to show off my fat stomach but to show how the dress belt w/ brass buckle and gold chain play off the cuff.

I dig this look.

* Add black dress shoes. Preferably side zip 6" Scarface type booties. I have those tucked away :)

View attachment 74462 View attachment 74465 View attachment 74464 View attachment 74466

Don't feel bad, brother. Other men have a "six-pack"... I have a keg. :eek: If you feel comfortable in the bracelets, have the confidence to pull them off.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Isn't Johnny Depp famous for wearing those style of cuffs?

Other types of bracelts I have and enjoy wearing:
-steel ID chain bracelet (vintage)
-elephant hair bracelet (à la Bruce Lee in Game of Death)
-sailor knot bracelet (wearing one on my right in my profile pic)
-80s black jelly bracelets

Last edited:

Captain O

One of the Regulars
As youngsters, (12-16 years of age) we used to buy and wear "wrist braces" because they supported the wrist. We thought that they looked impressive at the time. These were cheap, made of fabric-reinforced vinyl and made our wrists perspire and itch.

Ah, youth!

OC Fry

Familiar Face
I'm a big fan of bracelets for men. I think they are more masculine than rings (exception made for wedding bands). Not to mention more masculine than necklaces or earrings.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Truth. David, what is that silver cuff you are wearing? If it is a Navajo bracelet, I have its twin...

Alan, it's a present from my wife. She told me it is Navajo and she has the paperwork for it somewhere. I'll see if I can have her find it so we can know who the artist is.

The one you posted is indeed very similar.

Cheers! David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points