Show us their hats!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Matt Deckard, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Bamaboots

Bamaboots

Myrtis Dightman, bullrider “the Jackie Robinson of Pro Rodeo”, the first black to ever compete in the NFR.
    164D831F-6AEE-479F-93D2-63747C5D2D1D.jpeg 6C5EA7DB-677E-4667-92DB-73CF4D962AAE.jpeg
    86 now
    7F461A49-774F-49F4-B13B-0688CE1DF795.jpeg
    Holding a photo of his 1972 Marlboro ad. He never smoked.
    61FF083A-E2F5-41C5-8F89-CBFF801E6D96.jpeg

2. MisplacedHillbilly

MisplacedHillbilly Familiar Face

Very cool, thanks for sharing that. How about another first and a pioneer in country music, when the Grand Ol Opry first broadcast across the nation this was who people heard. 1200px-DeFord_Bailey-1.JPG
    DeFord Bailey a founding member of the Grand Ol Opry.

3. Good one. He is mentioned in the documentary "Country Music" by Ken Burns. His last appearance at the Opry was in April 1982.

4. MisplacedHillbilly

326a540be178d34094f73962359ed554.jpg
    Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings (sans hat!), and Hank Williams Jr.

5. I’m a big fan of both Endeavor and Lewis. Couldn’t get into the original Inspector Morse. I think all the actors do a fantastic job, but Anton Lesser is a standout. I generally think the British make better TV and the Americans make better movies…with notable exceptions on both sides.

campbell166, Rmccamey and Redfokker like this.
  6. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

downton-abbey1.jpg

This link will take you to no less than 31 hats that are worn in the period drama: "Downton Abbey."

7. Alcatraz inmates Clarence Carnes, Sam Shockley, and Miran Thompson. Their unsuccessful escape attempt resulted in the prison riot of 1946 where several guards & inmates were severely injured, & other inmates killed. The three inmates went on trial together in 1948; Shockley and Thompson were sentenced to die in the gas chamber. Because he was not one of the planners of the attempt & only became involved late in the effort, Carnes was shown mercy and given a life sentence.

IMG_7925.JPG

Their hats & clothing worn at trial were likely paid for by the taxpayers.

8. Outlaws.

9. MisplacedHillbilly

ronald-reagan-wearing-cowboy-hat-bettmann.jpg
    Forgive me if this one been done before.

10. Redfokker

Redfokker

Love this! So much inspiration. The curls on some of the Lords Hats and Bowlers is the inspiration for my custom, the Aubergine Rabbit by Mike Miller.
    6Jul21 Aubergine Rabbit Homburg 1920s style 650x.jpg 6Jul21 Aubergine Rabbit Homburg front 550x.jpg

11. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Ooh-la-la! I love the hat and I love the name too.

Zombie_61 and Redfokker like this.
  12. IMG_7926.JPG

On the night of May 22, 1909 the Frank Grigware gang consisting of Grigware, Jack Sheldon, Donald W. Woods, William Matthews, & Fred Torgenson robbed the Union Pacific Overland Limited Train near Omaha, NE of seven registered mail pouches. Some children found the group's stash of guns and disguises, and the police staked out the location until the gang returned. All five were convicted & sentenced to the federal penitentiary at Leavenworth, KS.

IMG_7928.JPG

In 1910 the Leavenworth penitentiary was undergoing some new construction. Within six months of arriving the five gang members managed to escape by commandeering a locomotive being used to transport construction materials, & crashing thru the prison gate. Within 48 hrs the gang members had all been captured except for Frank Grigware.

IMG_7931.JPG

In 1930 Grigware was identified as James Fahey living in Alberta, Canada when he was fined & fingerprinted for hunting out of season. During his time living in Canada as Fahey, he had married, started a family & even managed to get himself elected mayor of the town of Spirit River. With the support of his family, the citizens of Spirit River & the Canadian gov't, he fought the FBI's extradition efforts all the way. The Canadian gov't finally convinced J. Edgar Hoover to drop their efforts and even petitioned Pres FDR for a pardon which never came. The FBI kept track of Grigware for the next 43 yrs incase he crossed the border of his own volition. Grigware died in 1977 at age 91 without ever leaving Canada.

IMG_7929.JPG

13. Redfokker

Redfokker

With that melusine finish that Mike Miller has come up with, I should call it Lord Hair Bunny! Actually you don't want to Google Aubergine Rabbit, it come up with female sex toys - I confused it with the "Velvetine Rabbit":eek:

Frunobulax and BobHufford like this.
  14. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

That's the one made out of cheese, right?

Redfokker and BobHufford like this.
  15. I must have done it wrong--all I got was website after website allegedly answering the question of whether or not it's safe for rabbits to eat eggplant. :confused:

Spoiler Alert - Yes, it's safe as long as it's raw (i.e., not dried or cooked), they don't eat the leaves and/or the stem (i.e., the green bits), and only eat it in moderation. :rolleyes:

Redfokker and Frunobulax like this.
  16. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I had a bunny for several years, never tried her on eggplant.

Now pork roast, that's another matter.

17. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Our social circle of friends enjoy music from the era, we love the fashions back then too and we often get together for a social dance, or vintage festival. We have a name, the suffix of which was Swingers as in Swingtime music. Let me tell you that got changed to Swingsters pretty quickly after the lurid emails that started arriving.

Redfokker and Zombie_61 like this.
  18. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

foyle2.jpg
    Foyle's War actors. Sgt. Milner (Anthony Howell) (Detective Chief Superintendent Foyle,) Michael Kitchen, Sam, Foyle's driver, (Honeysuckle Weeks)
    foyle1.jpg
    Is Foyle's War shown outside of the UK?

19. Julian Shellhammer

Julian Shellhammer Practically Family

We watched it on the Acorn streaming service.