Show us their hats!

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Matt Deckard, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Thanks for the heads up, Jared. I'll look forward to the documentary. At first glance I thought the pic was of the late Ed Bradley.

Zombie_61 and RBH like this.
  2. itsallgood

itsallgood One of the Regulars

IMG_5360.JPG Spotted on the wall at the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Las Vegas while waiting for an order from Secret Pizza on the third floor (shsss)...

hatophile, Bushman, Jauntyone and 4 others like this.
  3. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

The-Queen-and-Margaret-Th-010.jpg
    The Queen was a role model for Margaret Thatcher. The hats, the gloves, the coats were all her, aspiring to look like the woman she admired.

4. In the fall of 1861 Frances L. Clayton enlisted in the Civil War as a male in order to be with her husband. To disguise her gender, she took to the manly vices of drinking, smoking, chewing & gambling, & was described as an “accomplished horseman.” She fought alongside her husband at the Battle of Stones River where he was killed. She was later wounded & her true gender was then discovered. Clayton was then discharged at Louisville, Kentucky in 1863.

IMG_8220.JPG

5. steur

steur

Singer and variety artist Kees Manders (1913-1979). His brother Tom Manders was by far the more famous of the two in the Netherlands, but Kees enjoyed a good amount of success on his own. His visited my home town of Volendam somewhere in the forties it seems (can't tell you the exact date). Interesting little tidbit is that my aunt (by marriage) Marta is the girl on the far right.
    Kees Manders seems to have had a preference for lighter hats.
    kees manders.jpg kees manders3.jpg kees manders2.jpg

6. steur

steur

This may have been posted before, but I can't recall. Worth seeing more than once anyway because of the huge amount of hats that can be seen.
    Tom Mix visisted Amsterdam in 1925 and brought out a huge crowd to see him. Penty of hats worn, but Mix's hat stands out.

Tommixportrait.jpg

7. RBH

RBH Bartender

I ran across this shot today.
    Monteagle Tennessee, 11 years ago. I believe it was the first official Fedora Fest.

Mike Moore and Art Fawcett.

[​IMG]

8. alanfgag

alanfgag

Spent some time with old snapshots this past week... here are a couple of my Dad, 1944 and shortly thereafter.

dad_with_helmet.jpg

dad_with car.jpg

dad_by_store_window copy.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  9. Bamaboots

Bamaboots

Always enjoy seeing this pic, Rusty. Reminds me of a time in my life (long ago) where I made a weekly trip up from Cowan and to Monteagle as well as a weekly stop at Winchester Hat Co.

Zombie_61 and RBH like this.
  10. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Zombie_61, RBH and alanfgag like this.
  11. Robieman

Robieman A-List Customer

Did you work for the railroad?

12. RBH

RBH Bartender

That is way cool cuzin'... did you ever go to High Point?

High Point

[​IMG]

Zombie_61 likes this.
  13. Mighty44

Mighty44 One of the Regulars

alanfgag likes this.
  14. alanfgag

alanfgag

It is indeed. My Dad lived in Elmhurst at the time and then in Jackson Heights when I was growing up.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  15. Mighty44

Mighty44 One of the Regulars

Funny—I thought so. I’ve lived in Jackson Heights for 15 years now. Give a shout if you are ever visiting the old neighborhood!

David

deadlyhandsome and alanfgag like this.
  16. Bamaboots

Bamaboots

No, sir but I supplied the RR with product as well. I was spending my time with this outfit during that run.
    http://sextonweldingsupply.com/

Not sure High Point existed during my time there, Rusty but I became aware of it later on. I’ve never eaten there. I lived in Tullahoma during that time and was very familiar with all dive bars in the area. The drive on 41A, from Cowan to the campus of Sewanee: The University of the South, is one of my favorites to make in the fall of the year. Been a couple of years since I’ve made it though. Still have a few friends in the area. During the years I worked in that area, Winchester Hat had a store that I bought a couple of hats from. Long gone.

RBH, Zombie_61 and Robieman like this.
  17. I like Mr. Fawcett's choice of hats; simple, clean, and elegant.

RBH likes this.
  18. MisplacedHillbilly

MisplacedHillbilly One of the Regulars

20211201_111818.jpg
    Didn't know where else to post this jewel lol

19. Mm25

Mm25 Practically Family

This is my new favorite picture of all time!

MisplacedHillbilly likes this.
  20. RIP Bob Dole

Not a big hat wearer, but this photo of him in a hat says a lot.

4432440C-D1B1-44B7-8E63-327F9D181277.jpeg

Not many of this generation left.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021