Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us what you have Crafted!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Does this count?

Thought my girls were starting to a look a little chilly, problem solved with Vintage Vogue Barbie pattern for 1950's swing coat and some lovely brushed cotton plaids only a couple of hems and some buttons to do and they're done.......
DSCF0362.jpg

DSCF0357.jpg

It's a welcome break for me to do something little and quick as my knitted cardigan project is a bit of a minefield at the moment as I have to unravel the whole thing and start over today!:(

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ok, those are just too too cute! What stylish little models you have there! How did you get the one to put her hand on her hip?

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
Ok, those are just too too cute! What stylish little models you have there! How did you get the one to put her hand on her hip?

Thanks guys!:eek: I was pleased with them, I'm making some tiny jumpers and pencil skirts next.
Oh and the Redhead and the Brunette both came with the hand on the hip!! They're all from the Silkstone Vintage Barbie Repro range.
They have a better wardrobe than I do!!

AllaboutEve said:
Thought my girls were starting to a look a little chilly, problem solved with Vintage Vogue Barbie pattern for 1950's swing coat and some lovely brushed cotton plaids only a couple of hems and some buttons to do and they're done.......
DSCF0362.jpg

DSCF0357.jpg

It's a welcome break for me to do something little and quick as my knitted cardigan project is a bit of a minefield at the moment as I have to unravel the whole thing and start over today!:(

Those are great!! I sew for dolls more than I do people. Making custom outfits for vintage and antique doll's in my so-called "job".

maisie

Practically Family
Those coats are too cute! I love how they are all in different colours to! I used have a few Barbie doll, and whenever i went to the US i used to bring some back. I always loved the old style Barbie more and especially loved the one that were with Elvis and Frank Sinatra, and the Gone with The Wind ones, thoses outfits were to die for!

AllaboutEve said:
Any pictures you could post CherryRed? I'd love to see someone else's work. I have made a few Gene outfits too but most of those have been as gifts so I don't have any I can show.
Which kind of dolls do you sew for?

Thanks Rosie, Daisy and Maisie!
Maisie I love the Scarlett doll too, I don't have one but have often come close to buying the version in the green and white toile-type fabric.

I do mostly custom for dolls from the 30's-50's.
This is my last project for a doll from 1929 called Puggy. Here is the original outfit from a reference book:
puggy-1.jpg

Here is my copy made from vintage repro fabric in a similar print. Excuse the hat, it hasn't softened up enough yet:
puggy.jpg

This one is made from a vintage pattern form vintage dotted swiss:
wendyann1.jpg

This is an antique Simon Halbig bisque doll, the oldest style I have done so far and the most complicated.
bisquedress1.jpg

I have more on my website if you want to see them, you can PM me for the link.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
CherryRed said:
I do mostly custom for dolls from the 30's-50's.
This is my last project for a doll from 1929 called Puggy. Here is the original outfit from a reference book:
puggy-1.jpg

Here is my copy made from vintage repro fabric in a similar print. Excuse the hat, it hasn't softened up enough yet:
puggy.jpg

This one is made from a vintage pattern form vintage dotted swiss:
wendyann1.jpg

This is an antique Simon Halbig bisque doll, the oldest style I have done so far and the most complicated.
bisquedress1.jpg

I have more on my website if you want to see them, you can PM me for the link.

Those are amazing CherryRed! They must take you a while to make!!!
Do you enjoy doing fiddly little things like I do?
I love sewing on tiny buttons and sewing tiny hems etc.
I LOVE the dotted swiss what a beautiful colour and what a gorgeous dress!!!!!
Have you ever checked out the little trimmings website?http://www.littletrimmings.com/
They have the tiniest of trims.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
AllaboutEve said:

eek! You have the Fashion Editor Barbie! Oh she's so cute! And she's so much cuter in her plaid swing coat than in her default outfit.

BV - really wants to be Fashion Editor Barbie when she grows up.

(Edit: Fashion Editor Barbie is the redhead, I believe. I could easily be wrong as I am not a scholar of such things, just a crazed fan.)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
BettyValentine said:
eek! You have the Fashion Editor Barbie! Oh she's so cute! And she's so much cuter in her plaid swing coat than in her default outfit.

BV - really wants to be Fashion Editor Barbie when she grows up.

(Edit: Fashion Editor Barbie is the redhead, I believe. I could easily be wrong as I am not a scholar of such things, just a crazed fan.)

Isn't she the cutest and yes you're spot on, she is the redhead! I got her from a close-out sale at a UK internet site about 4 years back at a great price, she is very hard to find now.

I didn't like her original outfit at all either, I thought it was a bit trollop-like and it was swiftly relegated to the bottom of the Barbie box!

I'm sure that you will make a lovely Fashion Editor Barbie when you grow up!!!:) It would be great to have hair her colour don't you think?

shindeco

A-List Customer
I was posting this on a tatting site and thought it might be of interest here, too. This is a collar made to a 1942 pattern. The actual collar pattern (minus the tabs) is from a 1950 magazine and the tabs and tatting are from the '42 pattern booklet (J&P Coats). I made it because I was really curious about the edging pattern and, well, it's definitely a bit unusual! Obviously, it's not something I can wear but I like it.

Original Illustration

IMG_0985.jpg

My version:

IMG_0982.jpg

Nashoba

One Too Many
shindeco said:
I'm a boy (and I don't do drag. But wouldn't 40s drag be fun!!)

you do incredibly beautiful work. I havn't quite gotten the knack of tatting (though lord knows I do every other kind of needle craft and basketry) probably because I've never been able to find someone to teach me and I've gotten frustrated with teaching myself. If you ever put anything like that up for sale on ebay or something let me know. I think it's exquisite
Nash

shindeco

A-List Customer
Thanks for the compliments.

Maybe someone here has some insight on a question I've always had about the original picture/pattern:

Ever since I first saw the picture for the pattern, I've been trying to figure out how she gets the cuffs to stay on her wrists. Cufflinks, probably but do you think the cuffs are attached to the sleeve in any way? I can only assume they're cut so small that they stay put--any other ideas? (The pattern only gives the edging, no pattern for the fabric part of the set)

Nashoba

One Too Many
I would think that it's possible that they are sewn directly to the dress or blouse as a permemant feature. Though I could see the cufflinks or some other kind of small pins to keep them on...would be interesting to be able to look at a piece with that kind of work on it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk