Show us your beaten. Not your beater but your beaten.

Discussion in 'Hats' started by johnnycanuck, Feb 2, 2011.

1. ruvort

ruvort One of the Regulars

Seems rather ungentlemanly, but to each his own I suppose.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

2. I am unkempt and shabby, so the look suits me. :D But seriously, I completely understand your opinion. Wearing a hat which has seen as much "wear and tear" as the hats in this thread exhibit isn't a desirable look for everyone. But I appreciate the extremely casual nature of that look, and almost every "defect" tells a story. If I had such a hat I certainly wouldn't wear it with a suit and tie, but for something like a picnic, a backyard barbecue, or a day at the beach, why not?

3. jonbuilder

jonbuilder Call Me a Cab

There was a time in the not so distant past when men most work outdoors and had but one hat worn for protection from the elements. There is a market for new hat that try to look the part

Héctor Fernández and Zombie_61 like this.
  4. There is definitely a market for artificially distressed hats, but I'm not a fan. I appreciate artistry, but sometimes my practical side wins out and I just can't see damaging a perfectly good hat in that way just so some schmuck with more money than brains can "look the part". It's one thing if a hat earns its "scars" honestly through years of service, but anyone wearing a fake beater is just perpetuating a lie.

5. RJR

RJR

Hat-Peters Brothers SO 6.jpg
    File pic of a Peters Brothers SO,reblocked and shaped several times.

6. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

fed iii_20190503_201819_400x421.jpg

7. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, Most hatters sell "distressed" hats. I prefer to do my own distressing. On that subject, I wore my John Wayne Fort Apache hat in the rain at Shiloh military park the day after I walked out of Mike Moore's shop. I haven't done that enough for it to look distressed though.
    Later

8. Robieman

Robieman A-List Customer

How about posting a pic of the hat, if you don't mind. I have 3 of his. Would like to see how yours came out.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  9. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, it will be a bit, I'm at work. I have a few.....
    Later

10. Jerm

Jerm New in Town

Which borsalino is that exactly