Show us your scarves ...

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Two Types, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Since there is a 'show us your .....' thread for most subjects, I thought there should be one for scarves. Especially since winter is on its way (for those of us in the northern hemisphere anyway).
    So here goes with some good old Tootal scarves:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, this one got chewed by the dog a few years ago. It's now waiting to be repaired and maybe even converted into a cravat:
    [​IMG]

And here are some close ups to show the wonderful patterns:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

And here are a few modern silk scarves made by Viyella. They are perfect for those days when it is just cold enough for a scarf in the morning but you don't need to wear it later. They fold up nice and small and fit into a jacket pocket:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Here's a 1960s wool backed scarf by Duggie:
    [​IMG]
    Detail:
    [​IMG]

I have always suspected this a woman's scarf. it is cotton but extremely long and wide:
    [​IMG]

These are by 'Sammy':
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is by 'Favourite Scarf':
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Even modern scarves can sometimes be good. this one is from 'Tie Rack'. Its Italian silk backed with wool:
    [​IMG]

Here is the detail on a 1960s scarf:
    [​IMG]

5. flyfishark

flyfishark Practically Family

Two Types...between your shoes, ties, ascots, and scarves, does your family have to live in the car? You make my addiction seem like a harmless habit! Always look forward to your postings.

6. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

My pleasure, sir. I will get around to posting some more suits and trousers etc. But to be honest, I don't have too many of those. And I only have a handful of hats and caps etc.
    We are lucky enough to have plenty of space in the house, so I don't take up too much of it. Also my wife is the one who earns the money, leaving me to spend a large chunk of my wages on my shopping habit (in exchange for doing all the housework, cooking and child care duties). I suppose I'm very, very lucky!

7. MissLaurieMarie

MissLaurieMarie One of the Regulars

Great thread - are the ladies permitted to partake?

8. Twill

Twill One of the Regulars

First of all... Two Types, wonderful scarves! You've amassed quite the collection. I especially love the white one by "Sammy".

This is my first scarf. I bought it last month at a vintage shop during a stop-through in St. Louis. It's synthetic, probably rayon, with no tag. It was so unique-looking, I couldn't put it back on the rack. I am by no means an expert, but looking at its bold pattern and atomic feel, I think it might be 40's or 50's? Anyone else care to take a guess?

[​IMG]

Apologies for the mobile phone photo. The colors are dark reddish-brown, light tan, and deep rust-orange.

9. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

To me, the colours suggest 1940s. Certainly no later than 1950s. That is a beautiful scarf.

10. Twill

Thank you, sir. That was my thought as well... more towards 1940's.

11. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Why not? The more the merrier. I have a 1940s ladies scarf which I sometimes use as a neckerchief or a pocket handkerchief (a bit large but it has a great design)

12. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

The blue scarf is wonderful. Over here, I have seldom seen vintage scarves in such a pale blue.

14. clyde

clyde New in Town

I've been on the look-out for a new scarf; those are fantastic.

15. Twill

Love that maroon one, Dinerman.

16. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

[​IMG] This is a wartime ladies scarf. However, I adore the design and sometimes wear it as a scarf or as a pocket handkerchief.

17. Twill

So, how does one differentiate between and gentleman's and a lady's scarf?

18. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

Well in this case, it's the shape (a large silk square). It can only be a ladies head scarf.

19. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

Got this last week on a trip to Whitby/ Harrogate from a charity(thrift) shop, it's 100% silk made br ARIS, second picture gives true colour... as new with no tears fraying or fading for a whole English pound![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

I was recently haggling over the price of a coat, the vendor wouldn't drop the price but she did offer me two cotton scarves instead. They are lovely prints, I am guessing 1960s?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are close ups of the pattersn:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]