Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Swirl dresses!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
So, I know there are quite a few Swirl lovers and collectors here on the board, so I wanted to start a thread for people to show theirs off (or post pictures of really fab ones you've found online). Pictures of Swirls are like a drug to me, they make me so happy and I can't get enough of them!! I don't know if anyone is quite as sad as me and saves pictures of awesome ones that either wouldn't fit or I couldn't afford at the time, but if you have pics of yours, please post them here!

For anyone who doesn't know about them, here's an excellent article by Fuzzy Lizzie of the VFG on them.

Here are some of mine:

3408034354_f35ffa1c01.jpg

A recent purchase, horribly discoloured but came up beautifully after an Oxi Clean soak. It was in excellent condition, I'm not sure if it was ever worn.

2963852180_f80ccf7965.jpg

Not very clear, but this is me with the AZ Chippies in my green gingham one, which has cute picket fence and flowers on the pockets and was completely deadstock! Yay!

b80a_12.JPG

This is an amazing find, not only deadstock but with all its original tags!
3437940692_613b95f5c0.jpg

Then there is the one I just won, one of the earliest ones you can get.
3447311086_362d8806ae.jpg

I can't wait to receive it!

I have two more, and a home-made Swirl copy but that will do for now. I've shown you mine... now show me yours! :D

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Fleur, what a great idea for a thread! I can't wait to see pics of you all wearing your swirl dresses... *sending out a silent prayer to Goldwyn Girl* <3
Fleur you're a heart throb, and your newly purchased dress looks too good to be true! When is it from? Is the pattern abstract leaves and berries, or does it resemble something in particular?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Fleur De Guerre said:

I've noticed that the sleeves on this very early Swirl are different from the later ones you have. Are they really puff sleeves, or is the picture just tricking me? Is this a difference that you can use to date the Swirls, or do the sleeves just happen to be like this on this particular dress, withot it being a particular characteristic of early Swirls?

The sleeves also look as if they are a tad longer, which would possibly make it more flattering on ladies who have larger overarms. On me, the type of cap-sleeves that your pink swirl has, would look very unflattering. You, Fleur, do not have that problem. lol

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Laura Chase said:
I've noticed that the sleeves on this very early Swirl are different from the later ones you have. Are they really puff sleeves, or is the picture just tricking me? Is this a difference that you can use to date the Swirls, or do the sleeves just happen to be like this on this particular dress, withot it being a particular characteristic of early Swirls?

The sleeves also look as if they are a tad longer, which would possibly make it more flattering on ladies who have larger overarms. On me, the type of cap-sleeves that your pink swirl has, would look very unflattering. You, Fleur, do not have that problem. lol

I think they are puff sleeves, but until I get it, you know as much as me from that picture! The difference is in the label -
3447311140_de1a7233b6.jpg

When they rebranded just as 'Swirl' they dropped the 'Neat 'n Tidy' bit. I literally only know what I learned from the Fuzzy Lizzie article, and she apparently said to the seller that the yellow one is the earliest she's ever seen.

Here's another one I found on Flickr that has the same label:
3400038638_76291b2d19.jpg

3399230463_4d6dca7d77.jpg

but no puff sleeves. So I am assuming this my one is just a variation on the design.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
Then there is the one I just won, one of the earliest ones you can get.
3447311086_362d8806ae.jpg

I can't wait to receive it!

I have two more, and a home-made Swirl copy but that will do for now. I've shown you mine... now show me yours! :D
Those are all so lovely Fleur!! The yellow one is so perfect! Does it have the button in the back? I can't wait to see pictures of you in it :)

Foofoogal

Banned
man, mine are all in storage. My life is a series of storage and moves lately. [huh] :(
Hopefully I will be able to show later. I have one that I just know would fit you Fleur. I am petite and have no idea how I ended up with it. lol

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
They aren't like backless hospital gowns! lol
They're just exactly like any other wrap dresses except they wrap at the back and not the front. The crossover of material depends on the dress size vs your size, but there's never much risk of showing your undies, unless you get taken unawares by a gust of wind, which is a risk in any wrap or indeed full skirts!

Audrey - it does have the button in the back, but it's not the swirly one that the later ones have.

Mojito

One Too Many
I love threads like this, and learning about a type of fashion I know absolutely nothing about. Great images and information.

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
That early Swirl is really great, I'm glad to find out that you bought it Fleur.

Here are mine -

3367040527_1144afa06b.jpg
3218711643_a49741c323_o.jpg

and I bought this one from FuzzieLizzie's etsy shop -

3354572265_c3e807cede.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have a copy that I made. It's one of my favorite patterns!
2783634269_4e782c7f9d.jpg

Here's a back view so GreyAndWhiteCat can see how the back works
2783635117_774288dc3b.jpg

PS

A-List Customer
As did I GG!
swirldr1.jpg

I am going to have to take pics of my other Swirls. I can't find the saved ones any longer.

Inky

One Too Many
arrggh, you gals are such temptresses! I love those Swirls, but alas, cannot wear sleeveless or short sleeves anymore. And I think a cardi would just ruin the look.

I shall enjoy them vicariously through you all -- keep posting your collections!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana