Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shrinking violets of the golden age

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
A while back there were a number of posts airing the idea that women of the golden age were poor downtrodden spineless ciphers with no power and no mind of their own.

This sure didn't describe my grandmother, or my great aunts (all born between 1880 and 1900). It seems to be a modern conceit that first arose in the 1970s.

Be that as it may, I was reading a novel by Rex Beach called Flowing Gold published in 1922. It is about a dirt poor farm family from Oklahoma who strike it rich in the oil boom.

There is a very funny chapter that takes place at a luxury resort. A dancing teacher steals a kiss from the young daughter of the family. So she slaps him down then drags him across the floor and throws him out a second story window. When her father hears of the affair, he sets out to kill him. Quite a family.

See for yourself.

The dancing master was tall and slim, his face was on a level with hers, and now he smiled into it, saying, “My mistake, my dear.”

“I reckon it was.” The girl’s eyes were glowing queerly, and the man was amused at her evident agitation. His first word had thrown the poor thing into a flurry.

They began to dance again, and, after a moment, with a gently rising inflection, Delamater murmured, “You heard what I called you?” He approved of the sachet that Allie used, and he became acutely conscious of the jewels resting in the palm of his left hand. The girl was rich and she was different, unusual. Ever since she had learned to yield herself to his embrace, he had been conscious of her strong physical attraction, and now it got the better of him. “You don’t care?” he said, with his lips close to her ear.

“Humph! I’m not caring for anything or anybody to-day.”

“Somebody has hurt my little girl.”

Allie threw back her head and stared at him with quick suspicion. “Your little girl?” she repeated.

It is the lot of any man in the heat of his desire to make mistakes, and Delamater erred gravely at this moment. He kissed Allie. Without warning he kissed her full and fair upon her red, half-open lips.

For the briefest instant of amazement the two stood motionless in the middle of the polished floor while the phonograph brayed on; then Allie shook herself free of her partner, and in the same movement she smote him a mighty slap that sent him reeling. Delamater saw stars. The constellation of Orion gleamed in dazzling splendor within his tightly shut lids; he collided with a chair and went sprawling.

With a cry he scrambled to his feet. “What the hell ?” he growled, savagely.

Allie’s face was chalky. Breathlessly, curiously she inquired, “Wha’d you do that for?”

“What did I do it for? Say! You ought to be complimented tickled to death.” Delamater rubbed his cheek and glared at her. “By God! I wish you were a man. Oh, don’t worry, I won’t touch you again! Who the hell would, after that?” Allie opened her lips to speak, but he ran on more angrily as the pain bit into him. “Thought I meant it, eh? Why, you lumbering ox ”

“Then you ain’t in love with me or or anything?”

“Love?” The speaker uttered an unpleasant sound indicative of scorn. “Wake up, sister! What d’you take me for? Why, your mother talks bird talk, and your dad lives in a box stall and eats oats with his knife! Here I kid you along a little bit slip you a little kiss, as I would any girl, and you you ” Delamater stuttered impotently. “Love? I guess I’m the first regular fellow that ever gave you a chance.”

Delamater was surprised when his pupil turned her back upon him, strode to the nearest window, and flung it open as if for air; his surprise deepened when she faced him again and moved in his direction. Her expression caused him to utter a profane warning, but she continued to bear down upon him, and when she reached out to seize him he struck at her as he would have struck at a man.

The silence was broken by a cry. Out of the air overhead came the sound of a disturbance, and every face turned. A most amazing thing was in the way of happening, a phenomenon unique in the history of tournaments, for a man was being thrust forth from one of the hotel windows, perhaps twenty-five feet above the ground a writhing, struggling, kicking man with fawn-colored spats. He was being ejected painlessly but firmly, and by a girl a grim-faced young woman of splendid proportions. For a moment she allowed him to dangle; then she dropped him into a handsome Dorothy Perkins rosebush. He landed with a shriek. Briefly the amazon remained framed in the casement, staring with dark defiance down into the upturned faces; her deep bosom was heaving, her smoky hair was slightly disarranged; she allowed her eyes to rest upon the figure entangled among the thorns beneath her, then she closed the window.

“She chucked the dancin’ teacher out of a winder?” he repeated, blankly. “What for?”

“Goodness knows, Mr. Briskow! Something he said, or did I couldn’t make out precisely. I found her in a dreadful state, and I tried to comfort her, I did really, but oh! If you could have heard her! Where she learned such language I don’t know. My ears burn! But that isn’t the worst; you should hear what ”

“He must of said something pretty low down.” Briskow spoke quietly; his bright blue eyes were hard. “I reckon she’ll tell me.”

“You don’t understand,” chattered the woman. “She flung the man bodily out of the window and into a bed of thorns. It nearly killed him; he was painfully lacerated and bruised and Right in the middle of a golf game! It did something dreadful I don’t know what just as the world’s champion caught the ball, or something.”

“If he’s crippled I’ll get him that much easier,” said Briskow, and at the purposeful expression upon his weather-beaten face Mrs. Ring uttered a faint bleat of terror. She pawed at him as he undertook to pass her.

“Oh, my heavens! What are you going to do?”

“Depends on what he said to Allie.”

The woman wrung her hands. “What people! What savages! You’re going to shoot him, I suppose, just because ”

“Yes’m!” the father nodded. “You got it right, motif an’ all. ’Just because’!”

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Both my Grandmothers were born in that era. Neither of them would take any Guff! It has often been said, that the West was won, by Women and the double barrel shotgun.

My paternal Grandmother's husband died in the Great Depression and she and her only child (my father, seven at the time) lost their house and nearly lost the small appliance / jewelry store they "owned" (in quotes because the store was in hoc and the creditors came calling immediately after my Grandfather died). She moved into a tenement, convinced enough of the creditors to give her time to get the business back on a paying basis so that she was able to hold onto it and, after several years, non-stop work and privation living, paid off the creditors all during the Great Depression.

Then, for the next thirty plus years, she ran the business, raised my father, "moved" back into middle class and even made some modest real-estate investments - all in a "man's" world. My view of her when I was a kid, as she died when I was nine, was of a older, unfortunately sick (emphysema from the 10,000 cigarettes she used to smoke a day), proper, moral, strong-willed, and well-intentioned but not warm woman. Now I look back in complete awe.

The stereotypes of the period exist for a reason - many people fit into the mold of their time period - just as our grandkids will look back at this time period and see a bunch of stereotypes and things we are doing "wrong" and wonder how it could have existed - but I grew up in a world where we didn't spend five seconds question what a woman could do, what role she should have or any of that stuff. Taking a step back, yes there were those stereotype roles and beliefs (and thankfully things are getting better), but there were always examples of those who didn't fit them if someone looked - my grandmother was hardly the only woman to do what she did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner