Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shrinkning a sweatband

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
Sweat on it for a few days. Seriously, if it's not too huge just wear it for a bit. I've found they tend to shrink a bit naturally.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can also turn the inside out and dampen it with water then heat it with a blow dryer then let it dry naturally. Be careful not to overheat it. If the hat is only half a size too big, I would say do half the sweat and see how it does. You can dampen and heat the other half later if you need to.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Have you considered/tried using sizing strips beneath the sweatband? I'd suggest doing this before trying to shrink the sweatband.

jpbales

Practically Family
my Fed IV was too big, so I basically did all of the above, which is basically everything the instructions say NOT to do!haha I went to town with the blow dryer on the sweatband (after wetting it) and I still ended up using two strips of foam around the sides (my head is a little long oval) Good luck!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Careful on the heat

I can tell you from personal experience that using "HEAT" i.e., a BLOW DRYER or HOT STEAM from the kettle will sometimes SHRINK and CURL the sweatband on a Vintage hat. I destroyed a sweatband on a Cavanagh Hat with HOT STEAM. The original leather, if it was such...., curled and shrank like a shrink wrap to an electrical cord!! Yikes!

I sent the hat to Art and he replaced the sweat. Too bad..I lost the vintage sweatband.

I suggest that you gently wet the inside of the sweat band and then let it dry. Then repeat. Yes, sweats tend to tighten up over time.

Use the paper or foam strip. If this fails, your hat needs a RE-Block by a reputable hatter.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Confirmed! The rule is, aim for a half measure first, and you`ll most probably get the full measure. I shrank a normal size (one size too big) into a Long Oval by only wetting the sides and letting it dry in the sun....any more aggressive wetting and drying and I`d have been 2 sizes too small in the space of 10 minutes! Take care! SLOWLY SLOWLY

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Hey Folks,

I have a got an Akubra FederationIV standard fur felt. On the heritage quality, Akubra hat size 60cm fit me, but this one is a little too big. Maybe because it is way more stiff. I already but some stripes in it.

Is there a way to shrink the size a bit, but controlled? I don't want the hat to be too slim.

Regards,
Arne

KSCOM4

New in Town
I would say to put in on and wear the heck out of it. It will gradually conform to your head shape. Whatever you do, don't expose the sweatband to steam or wetting. You'll end up with an expensive disaster!

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
After a working-day my sweatband now is wet. I will leave it drying naturally without anything, that fastens the drying.
IMG-20201031-WA0007.jpg

IMG_20201031_143932.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points