Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Check out this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/my-new-pair-of-aeros.87105/

The Bootlegger is 20"at the bottom hem, 26 back, reaches my belt line (33") and fits me perfectly.

The Hercules was almost the same, but the bottom hem was 21.5" i think. As much as i tried to convince myself i was OK with it, it was a baggy mess, and i never wore it once.
To me the bottom hem is the most important measurement. I would rather have a bit too much room in the chest than in the waist.

Also here is my SHinki J-100 if you want to see some Shinki grain:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/diamond-clothing-buco-j100-review.83051/

I'd love to see the pics in these links, but all I get is this:

bwe.png.jpeg

No. I think that is true for some chrome tanned goat - eg Cooper's cheap A2's that you see everywhere. I have had goat jackets that were veg tanned or combined veg tanned and chrome tanned. The wear started to show almost immediately. One was made from the same goat Aero uses. The hide began to fade and wrinkle right away, with light undertones coming through. And it was pretty heavy too. I personally prefer goat to all the others.

Goat is not always a summer weight hide unless you get a lighter variety. Some goat I've had is 3oz and bloody heavy. I guess it also depends on by what you mean by summer.
Interesting Seb. I guess I just haven't seen too many examples of goat that shows much patina, color variation etc. I don't think it's a knock on the hide either... was very much wanting a CR in goat not all that long ago. Having never handled it I just couldn't commit.

zebedee

One Too Many
Goat's great stuff- definitely worth getting a jacket in. I have two, and if only cordovan goat hide was a thing, I'd have three.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
We have what they call micro climates. There can be a radical change in the temperature, humidity, sun, rain, fog, etcetera from a few miles distance, of just crossing a bridge, or a few miles in from the coast. So I might be able to use my HBD Vicenza in the morning, for a while, then lug it around, then put it back on if I drive over the bridge, or lug it around if I drive inland, then put it back on at night. I'm sure you have heard the Mark Twain quote "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". I live in Oakland.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I've heard that Thedi uses a goatskin that is fairly rough and thick. I didn't think to ask how heavy the goat that various makers are using. I'm definitely looking for a light weight jacket. It was 107 F. in San Francisco this summer. Mr. Twain would have been shocked.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
No. I think that is true for some chrome tanned goat - eg Cooper's cheap A2's that you see everywhere. I have had goat jackets that were veg tanned or combined veg tanned and chrome tanned. The wear started to show almost immediately. One was made from the same goat Aero uses. The hide began to fade and wrinkle right away, with light undertones coming through. And it was pretty heavy too. I personally prefer goat to all the others.

Goat is not always a summer weight hide unless you get a lighter variety. Some goat I've had is 3oz and bloody heavy. I guess it also depends on by what you mean by summer.

Thanks for all the feedback on goat folks. I am still doing a lot of homework trying to play catchup to the level you all operate at.
I have heard a lot about weights of other leathers, and even total weights on individual jackets. But, don't hear much about weights on goat. Who made the 3 oz. that you have? What weight is Aero's? Or, for that matter does anyone know what weight goat is for any of the major makers. The only differentiation I have seen in goat was on Bfs web page. He has 2 different kinds, but no real specifications.

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 10.52.59 AM.png

Asaha

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the feedback on goat folks. I am still doing a lot of homework trying to play catchup to the level you all operate at.
I have heard a lot about weights of other leathers, and even total weights on individual jackets. But, don't hear much about weights on goat. Who made the 3 oz. that you have? What weight is Aero's? Or, for that matter does anyone know what weight goat is for any of the major makers. The only differentiation I have seen in goat was on Bfs web page. He has 2 different kinds, but no real specifications.

View attachment 88530
@jonesy86 , I'm no expert in this subject but if it helps you, Terry Mitchell (lounger) has a great Youtube channel with some great looking goat skin jacket. Good luck.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Langlitz used to use a 3 oz goat. The heavy goat I had was produced by the old Aero goat supplier which is both veg and chrome tanned. Goat is usually about 2.5oz thick, as I understand it. Johnson Leather used a very nice mottled naked goat that aged well. I think it too was veg tanned. I personally would never wear any leather thicker than 2.5oz. Down here it is pointless to wear the thick stuff and 2.5 oz is pretty darn solid.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Langlitz used to use a 3 oz goat. The heavy goat I had was produced by the old Aero goat supplier which is both veg and chrome tanned. Goat is usually about 2.5oz thick, as I understand it. Johnson Leather used a very nice mottled naked goat that aged well. I think it too was veg tanned. I personally would never wear any leather thicker than 2.5oz. Down here it is pointless to wear the thick stuff and 2.5 oz is pretty darn solid.
Great info. Thanks a lot!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
He has quite a collection, but I don't think he wants to let any of them gol:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points