Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Bilt Statesman

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Edit: Doh, I just noticed my phone autocorrected the brand names, "Simmons Bilt" to "Built" and I can't correct the topic line.

I didn't think I'd ever buy a SB jacket, due to the history of the company, but I surprised myself a few weeks ago when I saw this one on their outlet page and couldn't pass it up at the price they had it at.

It's not a style that they have in production, but the sale page called the style the "Statesman". I understand from corresponding with Debs that this is a one-off jacket and they may or may not offer it in the future, so I have the only one.

It's made from their Clayton veg tanned horsehide, which is good stuff. I'd say comparable to Horween CXL mid-weight in terms of stiffness and weight, but it's got a waxy hand to it.

Fit is very good, it's warm, and will be a great car coat. I like the shawl collar and the pockets, which are like a peacoat, but a bit more stylish. Pics are from the sale page, I will do fit pics when I can, but I find the fit to be excellent, with enough room to layer.
cover.jpg
l1.jpg
l1-2.jpg
state3.jpg

Last edited:
Saw that on their outlet page. Was a good deal indeed. That model isn't a regular offering. Nice score. Would love to see how it wears. Haven't seen another like it.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, this photo is a blowup of me in front of a large sculpture. I happen to have the jacket on, but it's not really a fit pic. I'll have to get some better shots of it.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, this photo is a blowup of me in front of a large sculpture. I happen to have the jacket on, but it's not really a fit pic. I'll have to get some better shots of it.

Sorry, i was trying to humorously point out the fact that the photo is tiny and you can't really see anything...
Looking forward to larger pics, looks like nice leather!

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That looks likes a very nice jacket! I like the style, makes for a very unique car coat. Hope they will offer it as a model.
So clayton leather is about the same weight as CXL?

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
So clayton leather is about the same weight as CXL?

I mean, it feels about the same weight as my Aero CXL FQHH jackets. I haven't taken any precise measurements.

Update: absolute weight of the jacket is 7.5 lbs, making it one of my heavier jackets. Being a mid-length, 30" jacket, of course there's more material. The thickness of the leather is substantial, I would guess likely 3.0 - 3.5 oz.

Last edited:
When time allows some better pics would be great. I really liked the look of this on the SB sale page. It's an interesting design. Hard to tell how it wears from the pic. Look forward to seeing more of it.

Peacoat

Bartender
Fit is very good, it's warm, and will be a great car coat. I like the shawl collar and the pockets, which are like a peacoat, but a bit more stylish. Pics are from the sale page, I will do fit pics when I can, but I find the fit to be excellent, with enough room to layer.
View attachment 137682
The pockets are similar to a WWI peacoat, with the high hand warmer pockets and the lower flap pockets.

In 1936, or thereabouts, the style changed to only hand warmer pockets, which were placed lower on the coat, and in a more comfortable location.

So, yes, these pockets are loosely similar to peacoat pockets, but from 82 years ago.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Pockets also similar to my custom Dave Sheeley.

View attachment 138239

That's a shorter jacket, looks like it's only waist length, but yes, there's similarity with the pocket design. The line of the pocket flap of the Stateseman isn't curved, like on this one, but otherwise, they're quite similar. The button being on the corner of the pocket flap, rather than centered, seems like a stylistic touch, but I'm not sure if there's any practical purpose to it. What's your finding there? Does it make the pocket flap work better, or would a centered button have been more practical?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points