Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Bilt Tailgunner

trainspotter

A-List Customer
I had been thinking about getting a collared highwayman style jacket for a while. A somewhat limited budget did not present many options. Although I loved the Idaho, I did not want to venture into Field Leathers territory owing to the wait times as well the price

Aero was the first choice, I have had good experience dealing with them so far. But having experienced the neck hanging issue in almost all Aeros (including a Premier Highwayman) except the Board racer, I was not very sure if it would be the most comfortable option

SB was the other obvious choice, although I had never bought anything from them directly. But I did own a couple of SB jackets briefly, and they all seemed very well made. The budget was more or less in Aero territory (although I still feel Aero has better leather selection for the price - especially the thinner CXL which they sometimes offer in limited batches)

Thankfully, I got a chance to try out a used Tailgunner through ebay. Although the jacket was a size smaller in the chest, the range of movement and comfort it offered was one of the best I have encountered in a leather jacket. I sold off that jacket rather quickly(to a fellow lounger), but it certainly firmed up my decision to move forward with SB

I contacted Deborah @ SB in mid April, and even though the pace of communication wasn't that great(they are a small crew), the quality and guidance was very helpful. Debs had already sent me a few black leather samples basis my preferences, out of which I selected the Italian Epsom horsehide. It is a mid weight, veg tanned & shiny horsehide.

Other than that, I went for pretty standard features - 2 internal pockets, wool tartan lining(wildcard), and antique brass #8 universal zippers. The jacket took around 2 weeks to be ready, and I received it yesterday.

Overall, I am pretty happy with the jacket. The sleeves could have been half an inch shorter, but they are definitely livable. Rest of the measurements are on point. Range of movement and comfort are great as expected. Sharing a couple of fit pics

WhatsApp Image 2023-05-31 at 16.17.09.jpg
rfrf.jpg

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Thanks everyone

@jonbuilder certainly less boxy than a HWM. In fact the taper is quite strong from a 23" chest to 21" hem

The Epsom horsehide is nice, and quite similar to CXL. I am not quite able to point out the precise differences, both are more similar than different in terms of hand, feel and appearance. Besides being veg tanned, Epsom looks to be dyed through, so there is no CXL like teacore, but a bluish grey effect in the high usage areas

But overall I am still highly biased towards CXL FQHH, there is just nothing like it in the market

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Congratulations on your new SB!
Fit looks awesome and the leather seems to have some nice blueish undertones.
I'd say even the sleeve length as it will most likely crease up a bit.

Glad to hear about the range of motion / mobility as the one I'm getting also has the shoulder gussets.

I also received (2 packages of) different samples while planning my order.
One of them had some black samples as well.
Out of the black samples I would have chosen "Mustang smooth". Don't think I got the black Epsom.
The brown Epsom I got was nice, but I did not like they gray-ish core.

Now I'm waiting for my SB jacket as well. It was actually finished, but had some issues which were missed by QC but thankfully caught by my proxy in UK. Went back to the maker for further investigation. We will discuss further options on how to proceed afterwards.

If this one goes well in the end I think I'm going for a modified Tailgunner In natural HH next. They even mentioned that they will be getting some Blattwerk natural HH.

Very happy with the leather that I picked from the photos that I got:
IMG-20230526-WA0001.jpg

trainspotter

A-List Customer
Thanks @TartuWolf

Indeed the brown leather on your TG looks dope. Which one is it?

I am also interested in a TG in natural horsehide. Hopefully SB can muster some natural CXL steerhide from Horween, it may turn out to be my dream project!

TartuWolf

Practically Family
The leather on the Pacific in that picture is Rancho / Ranchero HH. Chrome tanned, semi-aniline.
I really doubt they will deal with CXL. The +200 pound markup for the current CXL steerhide is there because they don't want to deal with it anymore I understand.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations on your new SB!
Fit looks awesome and the leather seems to have some nice blueish undertones.
I'd say even the sleeve length as it will most likely crease up a bit.

Glad to hear about the range of motion / mobility as the one I'm getting also has the shoulder gussets.

I also received (2 packages of) different samples while planning my order.
One of them had some black samples as well.
Out of the black samples I would have chosen "Mustang smooth". Don't think I got the black Epsom.
The brown Epsom I got was nice, but I did not like they gray-ish core.

Now I'm waiting for my SB jacket as well. It was actually finished, but had some issues which were missed by QC but thankfully caught by my proxy in UK. Went back to the maker for further investigation. We will discuss further options on how to proceed afterwards.

If this one goes well in the end I think I'm going for a modified Tailgunner In natural HH next. They even mentioned that they will be getting some Blattwerk natural HH.

Very happy with the leather that I picked from the photos that I got:
View attachment 522177

If they're doing a remake anyway, I would highly recommend you suggest they bring the higher buckle a bit lower down/closer with the bottom one.

Cut looks solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21