Simon James Cathcart Leather Jacket?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by crispyfresh, Nov 1, 2021.

1. crispyfresh

crispyfresh New in Town

I've been looking at this SJC leather jacket for a couple of weeks now. I have zero experience with buying leather products from them. The jacket costs $539 U.S. dollars. My primary desire is the vintage style of the jacket. I'm not particular on how it fits or anything like that. Its primarily the styling. Is this a good investment?

https://simonjamescathcart.com/collections/outerwear/products/black-leather-33-jacket

[​IMG]

2. Spiney

Spiney Familiar Face

Nice jacket. Collars look huge but apart from that I like it.

crispyfresh likes this.
  3. crispyfresh

crispyfresh New in Town

The large collar is part of why i want the jacket. The styling is why I like the jacket. Its a spearpoint collar. Thanks for the response.

Mich486, ton312 and Spiney like this.
  4. Spiney

Spiney Familiar Face

No problem, it’s too big for me that’s all. Jacket also looks great in brown.

crispyfresh likes this.
  5. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 I'll Lock Up

Looks sharp. It's goatskin which has a different feel and break-in compared to Steer or Horse. It is a nice jacket and for not a bad price.

Spiney and crispyfresh like this.
  6. ton312

ton312

I bought the wool/leather version of this jacket in navy blue and own the plaid 33 jacket currently. I love their stuff. It’s well made and very affordable. I was super tempted by the goatskin jacket myself. I might go back for that one depending on how the wool shakes out.

7. Jin431

Jin431 Call Me a Cab

The collar is so cool on this guy, the front of the jacket looks killer.

Spiney, ton312 and crispyfresh like this.
  8. crispyfresh

crispyfresh New in Town

I have a sizing question. I'm currently a 42 chest, but I'm going to get BACK down to a 40 chest as I'm currently losing weight again as a goal. I intend to layer a sweater under it at times. Nothing very thick. Should I stick with a 42 size or should I order the 40 size?

9. ton312

ton312

I have a size 40” 33. I’m 5’11 197lbs. I ordered another 40” as I find these run large. Sorry for the marked up pics, jacket is with Dena right now and she’s adding leather cuffs but you can see this 40” is far from a tight fit.
    78A309A1-B88B-4900-8097-498522BC05B4.jpeg

AeroFan_07, Jin431, Spiney and 2 others like this.
  10. Edward

Edward Bartender

Probably best to drop them a line. Simon has a couple of folks running comms these days, should be able to clarify. I don't know whether the leather version is the same cut as the wool or not. I have quite a few SJC products - shirts, caps, polos, suits, jeans and a first-run wool 33 jacket. All superb. Not owned a leather yet, but if they are up to the same standard they will be very nice indeed. Certainly competitively priced. That half belt looks very nice, though the one I feel calling to me is the Grizzly. At the sort of price these are they are by no means cheap, but certainly markedly cheaper than my usual, which, for a style I've not tried before and don't know how often I'd wear, has a definite appeal. What I particularly like about these is that (even with the halfbelt to an extent, though it *is* a very classic look) they do have a bit of a vibe of their own rather than looking much like any of the other labels' I like's house-style. The hardware looks nice too - that's where a lot of the more affordable options fall down, in my opinion.

11. Edward

Edward Bartender

Leather cuffs would be a nice touch. I see the current wool 33 has added a leather top on the collar.

ton312 likes this.
  12. ton312

ton312

They really up’d their game with the latest 33. Leather collar, leather Halfbelt, fully lined and cuff straps. I can’t wait to receive it. I have no doubt it will see tons of use!

Edward, Spiney and crispyfresh like this.
  13. crispyfresh

crispyfresh New in Town

I emailed them my sizing question just to make sure. The jacket doesn't ship until the end of the month. I would hate to wait that long and find out I might have to return it. I like the jacket you already own. Thanks for posting it.

Spiney likes this.
  14. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

Did you see the size guide? Fit looks indeed to be quite generous.

upload_2021-11-2_14-9-54.png

15. ton312

ton312

That's just about identical to my older 33...and precisely why I didn't go up to a 42"!

Spiney, crispyfresh and Marc mndt like this.
  16. crispyfresh

crispyfresh New in Town

I didn't look it up because the description said it fits true to size. Based on what you posted, if I got a size 40, it would be big enough to layer AND be big enough if I gained weight back to a size 42 chest.

Spiney likes this.
  17. Spiney

Spiney Familiar Face

That jacket is really growing on me. Didn’t like the collar at all originally, quite like it now. Considering ordering the brown one.

ton312 and crispyfresh like this.
  18. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

Collar is fine. Not sure about the pocket size/or positioning. Personally, I preferred the cloth plaid version.

Spiney likes this.
  19. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up