Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Size 46 jacket seller says Pit to Pit is 58 inches- what are they measuring?

Andrew Putnam

Familiar Face
There's a jacket online I'd like to buy but I like to have as much information as possible before I buy from overseas which is why I try and get as much info as possible if I can before purchasing.
The jacket is a UK size 46
It is astounding just how hard it can be to get some sellers to measure a jacket correctly, even when I supply pictures of how to do so. Many times I have received a reply "The size is there it is marked XL" end of story.. no good persevering in these cases usually I'd imagine however,
In reply and I'm very grateful for them trying to help, I got 27" shoulder to cuff, 27" bottom of collar to hem, then I get 58" Pit to Pit. The jacket is obviously not 58" P2P
The only thing I can think of is they accidentally switched to cm's on the P2P measurement which would make it 23" which makes sense.. but they aren't replying anymore.
So my question is does anyone with more experience have any idea how they could have come up with 58" P2P that might somehow shed light on the actual P2P measurement?
Perhaps there are some common mistakes people make that could reveal the true measurement... or perhaps I should just let it go.
Any help appreciated.

So my question is does anyone with more experience have any idea how they could have come up with 58" P2P that might somehow shed light on the actual P2P measurement?
Perhaps there are some common mistakes people make that could reveal the true measurement... or perhaps I should just let it go.
Any help appreciated.

You said it yourself - if the seller is in Europe, it is possible that they forgot to convert the cm to inches. 58 cm would be 23". This still can't be a size 46 but in 99% of the cases, people will shortchange the P2P measurement. I'm not sure why, my guess is they don't straighten the jacket enough or they simply measure from seam to seam, instead of an actual physical width of the garment... But I regularly buy jackets listed at 21" P2P, even though technically I wouldn't be able to even zip it up at that size, because I know I'll get a jacket that measures up to 23" in chest.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
In this instance you are not just buying a jacket, you are also buying a seller. Since you live in Australia and the seller is in the UK, returning the jacket would be a monumental headache. I wouldn't walk away from that sale, I would RUN away. :eek:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I kind of agree with what the others say but I have found that some sellers can be helpful if you engage in polite emails and will eventually get it right. Some won't. In my experience 70% will respond positively to - "It will really help you sell this jacket if you list some key measurements, because labeled sizes vary a lot and some jackets marked Small actually fit like a Medium."

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a tough question because there are an infinite number of ways to do this wrong and really only one way to do it right.
Unless this jacket is really special I would have to agree with what the others have said and take a pass on it

robrinay

One Too Many
If the seller can’t be bothered to measure the jacket properly then steer clear of him/her. If you’re desperate to buy it then try the polite advisory approach, telling them if their measurements are way out then whoever buys will return it at the sellers expense as - ‘not as described’.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
He could have accidentally given full circumference of the jacket taken around the chest. 29 times 2=58. Seems huge for a 46. Probably a sloppy undertaking for anyone.

Mich486

One Too Many
Try the polite approach first of course then if you really like the jacket but the seller doesn’t cooperate, I’d buy it and if it doesn’t fit return it. You will be able to return it given that the item it clearly is not as described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Try the polite approach first of course then if you really like the jacket but the seller doesn’t cooperate, I’d buy it and if it doesn’t fit return it. You will be able to return it given that the item it clearly is not as described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
logic like this is one reason sellers are hesitant to put measurements in their listing.

robrinay

One Too Many
Jawohl!!!
logic like this is one reason sellers are hesitant to put measurements in their listing.
It’s for this reason I place a metal measuring tape across the important dimension areas of my ‘for sale jacket pictures’
I tell them in the description that I’m aware it only shows approximate measurements but it gives a rough idea and cuts down on questions and arguments when on arrival they say it’s too small.

Andrew Putnam

Familiar Face
Yeah unfortunately I have not heard back from the seller after several days and sending two polite messages so will have to let it slip.
It was a cheap old ex police motorcycle jacket BKS, which I may have had some matching pants for here for.
They don't seem to make them like that anymore, Motorcycle jackets are mostly all skimping on materials and safety for flashy huge brandnames displayed and hundreds of different seams.
I have another possible 2 piece suit coming, although the pants do seem to have been sent to the wrong country!
eBay for you. I'd so prefer to buy via FL!

Edward

Bartender
You said it yourself - if the seller is in Europe, it is possible that they forgot to convert the cm to inches. 58 cm would be 23". This still can't be a size 46 but in 99% of the cases, people will shortchange the P2P measurement. I'm not sure why, my guess is they don't straighten the jacket enough or they simply measure from seam to seam, instead of an actual physical width of the garment... But I regularly buy jackets listed at 21" P2P, even though technically I wouldn't be able to even zip it up at that size, because I know I'll get a jacket that measures up to 23" in chest.

One reason I stopped buying jackets on ebay unless I know the brand or am otherwise certain it's going to fit right is that there are far, far too many people on eBay - including even same professional sellers - who don't understand the difference between garment size and measurement. If the measurements equate to 46, then it sounds like one of these ninnies who think that means it will fit a person who measures 46 chest - i.e. be a size 46. I can only assume people like that are the reason Tom Ford and the likes are able to sell those stupid, over-tight, shrunken suits.

TL/DR: Some people think an item that measures 23" p2p / 46 around the chest is therefore a size 46. They obviously don't know how clothes work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm