Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing A Bogen & Tannenbaum AN-6552

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Hi All,

Just received my next restoration project that I am very excited about. After a careful inspection I see no issues and found this jacket to most definitely be a prime candidate for a complete overhaul. It has seen better days but will soon be back in shape.

Sometime in the past this jacket has had it's knits changed out. That work looks to have been accessed through the collar. All poorly done but that damage done can be remedied. With that in mind, this jacket is in need of a new mouton, knits, lining change out and the male side of the zip assembly to make for a nice vintage wearer. As seen below.

This B & T jacket is full of surprises. Among those surprises is that it appears to have been made using a heavy nylon thread. Up and until now I was of the opinion that most all WW-2 era jackets were made using cotton for their thread. So this Bogen is definitely an exception. The good thing is I will not be required to stitch this jacket in it's entirety. Normally do on these WW-2 vintage jacket put together with cotton thread to make for a decent wearer.

The other oddity is the jacket's construction. It was made with a short front panel that terminates directly under the armpit. As seen below.

Most WW-2 jackets utilized a front panel that wrapped completely under and around the base of the sleeve. But not in this case. However, it is most definitely the exact style seen in most all later model USN jackets.

This particular jacket came with a size 42 tag. Although it definitely fits like a Large size jacket, still it would be nice find others with similar make jackets for comparison. That way I might better understand exactly what size jacket I'm dealing with here.

If there are any members out there with a similar make jacket please contact me! Not to mention, it is my understanding that the Arnoff is a near clone to this Bogen. So those same made jacket owners please contact me so I might make some comparisons to nail down my jacket's size I'm about to restore.

Thanks So Much!

Dave

Last edited:

AdeeC

Practically Family
I recently bought a very nice example of a Willis & Geiger AN-6552 from Nick123. It also appears to have synthetic stitching. As with your jacket the front panel terminates approximately under the armpit but angles down backwards significantly leaving a very short lower back strap. Mine is a size 40 and almst identical dimesions as my Gordon & Ferguson M422A size 40.

Deacon211

One Too Many
That is a beautiful jacket! I don't know squat about vintage 422s, but I have one on order from GW. In the process of picking all the details, JC did say that some makers did indeed use nylon thread at some point during their production.

Love to see this one when it's finished.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points