Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing for Denim Trucker jackets

toomanynotenough

New in Town
What rules of thumb do people use when buying denim jackets for sizing?
I am looking at getting a Brave Star Trucker and sent them an email but yet to hear back.
Is a jacket chest size 3 inches bigger than my chest size an ok guesstimate?

Anyone with experience with the Brave Star Ironside?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
People will have different preferences. I have a 41 chest and generally wear 46 inch chest in a jacket (not size, measured). This means 23 pit to pit. That equates to a classic size 42. A denim jacket worn with just a t shirt could be worn trimmer if that was my taste.

Are you getting the three inches form the actual measurement or or from the tag size because the first law of jacket buying is that labeled size generally means dick.

toomanynotenough

New in Town
You deciphered my question correctly.
How many inches do people add to the their chest measurement for denim jackets?
I too add about 5 inches for leather jackets. so a pit to pit 24.5 is what i like, not to tight but not a big bag.
I am guessing denim jacket material is thinner and able to be worn tighter while still feeling comfortable. So i might be able to get the same "comfy" feel from a pit to pit 23.5 in a denim that i would in a 24.5 leather jacket (mid weight leather which is my preference).

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My formula for this is:
calculate the radius from the body circumference (e.g. chest, waist, etc.).
Radius + thickness of the material + desired space. Calculate the circumference from this result and divide by 2.
Example: 110 cm Chest = 17.5 cm radius + 5 mm stiff leather plus lining + 1 cm space = 19 cm radius = 119.4 cm circumference = 59.7 cm P2P

The back length is the most decisive factor to me on a denim jacket. Regardless of how well it may fit, if it's too long, the whole thing will be thrown off. So I personally don't even bother with the P2P and rather just focus on the sleeve / black length and how the jacket looks on you rather whether how it fits, if it makes any sense.

Trucker that's too long will look too large to me, no matter how tight it fits around the chest.

To answer your question, if you're a size 40, 22" (23" tops) P2P sounds about right to me. I'd get an M for The Ironside, I suppose. I wouldn't buy a jacket any roomier than that. Denim can be worn tighter, it'll ease up and become more and more comfortable, the longer you wear it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My formula for this is:
calculate the radius from the body circumference (e.g. chest, waist, etc.).
Radius + thickness of the material + desired space. Calculate the circumference from this result and divide by 2.
Example: 110 cm Chest = 17.5 cm radius + 5 mm stiff leather plus lining + 1 cm space = 19 cm radius = 119.4 cm circumference = 59.7 cm P2P

That leaves you with a significant margin for error.

Try this

18b73f954b422946e35d08c56e696a38daf6ff25

Clearly it's down to 3.5 inches.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
That leaves you with a significant margin for error.

Try this

18b73f954b422946e35d08c56e696a38daf6ff25

Clearly it's down to 3.5 inches.

"Pigs arse" now there's a quaint Australianism for ya right there !

If it's a "Man's" US "Large/XL" it fits me , 90Kg/ 5 foot 11/36 waist/44 chest. ( I am a "L" in any brand of US T-Shirt !)

A Schott or Vanson 44" fit me fine right off the rack.

If it's a ladies L when it gets to the door ( it has happened !) then it fits my 17 year old daughter
(sleeves rolled once sometimes !).

This "yellow" Levi trucker is an XL, and fits short. Sitting on the bike it is fine. The untucked T exaggerates shortness !

Levi trucker at Yanchep lagoon 1.jpg

toomanynotenough

New in Town
I need my formulas to be no more complicated than x = y

So it looks like Brave Star Ironside in XL will give me a snug look and feel at 2.5 inches more than my chest.
Thinking i might risk it

upload_2020-4-10_21-13-19.png

toomanynotenough

New in Town
I’m 5’11 210lbs and the size large from Brave Star fits “to the nuts”. Here’s the 21.5oz pre soak when new:
View attachment 226436
My jacket measures wider and slightly longer than the chart.

That is a great fit. I am 6 foot and 210, so the picture is second only to trying one on. Thanks!
I am wanting this jacket in a slightly more comfy fit. So i think the XL is the size for me this time.
I was planning to get the 18oz but i do like the look of the 21oz.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
i dunno if this is right or wrong but to me the heavier the material (leather or denim or whatever) the more fitted you need the jacket or pants be, the lighter the material the more options of different fits you can choose from including the more relaxed/ baggier fit.

That is a great fit. I am 6 foot and 210, so the picture is second only to trying one on. Thanks!
I am wanting this jacket in a slightly more comfy fit. So i think the XL is the size for me this time.
I was planning to get the 18oz but i do like the look of the 21oz.
If you plan on putting a heavy layer under it sizing up would be a good idea. Especially if you plan to wash it. The 21oz def shrinks. Post soak/self loathing wear ‘TIL dry and I lost about 1/2 in body and sleeve length. Worn regularly for a month or so prior to doing that.
4C444D1F-09CF-4577-ABE9-4B1F4E4DDFF7.jpeg

Damn man I have gone full *denimbro*
Makes the acquisition of a nice vintage suede trucker all the more important. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ