Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing Gloves

Viviene

Vendor
I've read several different blogs on how to size gloves. My quandry is this. I have a pair of opera length leather gloves that are marked a size 7 and are marked Made in France. When measuring at the widest part around the entire glove the measurement is 6 inches. From what I've read on the blogs this makes the glove a size 6, not a size 7. No one in my household has hands that are smaller than 8 inches around at the widest point so I can't try the gloves on. Would you presume then that the gloves are a size 6 US? I have another pair of gloves from the same source and they measure 6 inches around as well. There is no give in either pair of gloves as they are both leather. Any assistance would be appreciated. :)

Idledame

Practically Family
I found this:
Width Measurement: Wrap a tailor's measuring tape around your dominant hand just below your knuckles (excluding your thumb), and make a fist. This measurement is your hand width glove size.

Glove-Size-Chart-Width.jpg

US Sizes
6-7 inches XS
7-8 inches S
8-9 inches M
9-10 inches L
10-11 inches XL
11+ inches XXL
EU Sizes
152 - 178 millimeters EU - 6
178 - 203 millimeters EU - 7
203 - 229 millimeters EU - 8
229 - 254 millimeters EU - 9
254 - 279 millimeters EU - 10
279+ millimeters EU - 11
I don't know how this really helps you, except maybe to figure out what size you're looking for in the future, if you buy something on Ebay.
I have noticed that kid gloves I've found have all been tiny. I assume the largers ones were worn out and handed down to other people until they were in shreds, whereas tiny ones survived and look new because almost no one could wear them.

Viviene

Vendor
Thank you again for this information. This includes what I was missing which is the EU sizes. Since I purchase gloves that are not for my own use the sizing isn't such a problem. I'm just trying to make sure that when someone purchases the that they will fit them well rather and disappoint them by being too small. I want to make sure my listing information is accurate. Thank you again for your assistance.

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
I wear leather gloves every day and have a huge collection so I might be able to help. Quality gloves usually come in half sizes, and, if anything, half a size more or less might work. Going down a full size from your true size will most probably be too small.

New leather gloves should fit very snugly with the fingers being just long enough though. They all stretch from there, that's normal. If you go too small you either risk constriction of hand movement, tearing of seams and/or the fingers being too short (resulting in premature wear in the fingertips). I've bought gloves that were too small before if they were so pretty that I absolutely had to have them, and I always regretted it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana