Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing help for Aero Jackets seeked

A.D.

New in Town
Hi,
I am new to the forum and wanted to say hello to everyone. I also wondered if anyone could help me with sizing and fit of the different Aero models, I am especially interested in a Highwayman, a Cropduster or another Halfbelt jacket. I'd also consider a Barnstormer as a winter coat maybe. I heard that the highwayman is quite a roomy jacket, but how does it compare to other models?

My measurements are as following(in cm and inches) measured with and without layers underneath:

Height 175cm – 5ft 9”
Chest relaxed 99 (105) – 39” / 41.5”
Chest expanded 105 (110) – 41.5” / 43.5”
Stomach 100 (106) – 39.5” / 41.75”
Waist 96 (100) – 37.75” / 39.5”

I'd be happy for any information/help about what could fit.
Thanks,
Arthur

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
Hi,
I am new to the forum and wanted to say hello to everyone. I also wondered if anyone could help me with sizing and fit of the different Aero models, I am especially interested in a Highwayman, a Cropduster or another Halfbelt jacket. I'd also consider a Barnstormer as a winter coat maybe. I heard that the highwayman is quite a roomy jacket, but how does it compare to other models?

My measurements are as following(in cm and inches) measured with and without layers underneath:

Height 175cm – 5ft 9”
Chest relaxed 99 (105) – 39” / 41.5”
Chest expanded 105 (110) – 41.5” / 43.5”
Stomach 100 (106) – 39.5” / 41.75”
Waist 96 (100) – 37.75” / 39.5”

I'd be happy for any information/help about what could fit.
Thanks,
Arthur

You are probably like a 38/40. I think the highwayman will probably be a good fit. You probably need to ask for the bottom hem width info.

I have a jacket that will fit if you are looking to pick up a used one.

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
You are same chest measurements as me but 2 inches shorter. Ask for a 38 inch chest fit jacket. it was perfect on me but too short in the body so I went to 26.5 length. Don't worry about comments on it being big or boxy. The fit on mine was perfect, the 38 with a tiny cinch on the waist buckles should be spot on. I would definitely ask for a 38 fit jacket first though and add or subtract measurements as required if you feel you need more or less.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
You have more or less the same measurements as mine but a wider stomach (hmmm, I guess you drink more beer than I do, good for you, beer is beautiful). I have a size 40 30's Half Belt. It fits perfect on the chest, a bit wide on the stomach and allows for layering (today I wore it with a shirt and a thin cardigan). I could wear a size 38 with only a shirt on.
When I visited Galashiels last april I tried some highwaymans. A size 36 was tight in the stomach, a size 38 a bit wide on the shoulders/chest area. I would advise a size 40 30's HB or a size 38 Highwayman.
The Highwayman is indeed a generous cut model.
I also have a Mariner, according to the Aero site this is a style similar to the Barnstormer. I have a size 38, allows for thing layering.

A.D.

New in Town
You have more or less the same measurements as mine but a wider stomach (hmmm, I guess you drink more beer than I do, good for you, beer is beautiful). I have a size 40 30's Half Belt. It fits perfect on the chest, a bit wide on the stomach and allows for layering (today I wore it with a shirt and a thin cardigan). I could wear a size 38 with only a shirt on.
When I visited Galashiels last april I tried some highwaymans. A size 36 was tight in the stomach, a size 38 a bit wide on the shoulders/chest area. I would advise a size 40 30's HB or a size 38 Highwayman.
The Highwayman is indeed a generous cut model.
I also have a Mariner, according to the Aero site this is a style similar to the Barnstormer. I have a size 38, allows for thing layering.

Thanks everybody for their recommendations!
Harris... I don't drink much beer, unfortunately ;-) I am just out of training.... I got 15 kg more than a year ago... it's a shame, I gained more than my wife during pregnancy ;-)

A.D.

New in Town
You are probably like a 38/40. I think the highwayman will probably be a good fit. You probably need to ask for the bottom hem width info.

I have a jacket that will fit if you are looking to pick up a used one.

Thank you, could you please post some pictures?
I am not against the idea of a broken in, but not run down used jacket, but would prefer to buy in europe to avoid import duties, etc.
But if the price was right, I might consider it.

A.D.

New in Town
Sorry to ask so many questions..... I was just wondering... the Highwayman is availlable in FQHH , tumbled FQHH and CXFQHH (at least at aero website in the Highwayman stock section).
What exactly are the differences in quality, wearability, ageing, etc.?

FQHH and CXFQHH is the same thing. Since Aero's Front Quarter Horse Hide leather is tanned through Chromexcel method - shortened to CX or CXL - sometimes this abbreviation is added to the name of the hide.

You must have seen the two names being used alternatively in the Aero Highwayman stock jacket section of the site, right? :)

Tumbled FQHH, or tumbled CXFQHH is your regular Aero horsehide that had undergone a softening process which involves tumbling the leather in huge vats in order to break it in. Tumbled FQHH is softer, more pliable and shows more grain and character from the start but other than that, quality-wise it is no different than the regular FQHH. Some people have reported that the tumbled hides are slightly lighter than the standard FQHH but one jacket that I have had was the same weight as any HH from Aero.

Many people I've talked to entirely miss the Customization part of the website so just in case;
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1295
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1296

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi People, got a question about the Highwayman and Aero's level of customziation/custom fitting. We all know that Holly asks for four measurements, chest relaxed and chest puffed, stomach, and waist. Now, do you know if they actually apply these? or just use them as guide to choose their stock sizes? Say they determined that I'm a size 44 Highwayman, are they just gonna pick a 44 pattern or they will actually make the waist and stomach fit my measurements?

Peacoat

Bartender
I have three of their jackets, including the Highwayman. It is my understanding they take a stock chest size jacket, such as a 44 pattern, and alter any parts of the pattern that don't fit the customer's measurements.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Tumbled FQHH, or tumbled CXFQHH is your regular Aero horsehide that had undergone a softening process which involves tumbling the leather in huge vats in order to break it in. Tumbled FQHH is softer, more pliable and shows more grain and character from the start but other than that, quality-wise it is no different than the regular FQHH. Some people have reported that the tumbled hides are slightly lighter than the standard FQHH but one jacket that I have had was the same weight as any HH from Aero.

Many people I've talked to entirely miss the Customization part of the website so just in case;
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1295
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1296

That hasn't really been my experience.

Yes, on paper the Tumbled FQHH should be the same as the CXL FQHH, but the jacket i had in Tumbled FQHH had very different characteristics than my regular CXL FQHH one.
To me the tumbled one didn't have the nice waxiness that CXL has. And it really didn't look like it was going to break in the same way.
It had a sort of suede finish, and a dryness that i didn't like, and was not as water proof as the CXL.
It looks a lot more like Vincenza, saturated with grain from the start, but it didn't look like it would gain patina or interesting grain as it broke in.
It also didn't crease as nicely in the elbows etc, and didn't mould to me as much as regular CXL.

I didn't keep that jacket long enough to see it evolve, but i really don't think a tumbled jacket would look the same as a CXL one once broken in.
That's just a gut feeling by the way, i might be wrong, but that's how i felt about it.
The replacement i ordered will be in regular black CXL. It might take longer to loose it's shine and look worn in, but IMO it is worth it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I think to a great extent our choice(s) of which skin we prefer is dictated by our use of the jacket (riding, casual wear, work, etc.) and where we are located. Since I live in N Central Texas where we have few cold/wet days, I prefer either Vicenza mid-weight horsehide or veg tanned gaotskin for maximum use. I only have one FQHH Teamster for cold & wet days, whereas @Sloan1874 lives in Scotland where I think it is cold & wet 10-11 months out of the year, and freezing ice this time of year comes at you at 100 km/hr from 90 degrees rather than from overhead. :eek: :D

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
Also, don't forget the lining choice. Aero has one of the most incredible selections of liners out there. You can choose from many patterns of tartan wool in light, medium, and heavy as well as cotton and maybe more. If it is warm you want to go with a thinner lining for sure. I have a lightweight wool on mine which is more than good enough for LA.

Alternatively some people prefer a light or no lining even in cold climates. Reason being you layer a thick sweater underneath. Personally I would prefer the heavier lining as I generally prefer medium weight long sleeve sweatshirts.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've been switching between the ANJ-4 and Irvin for the past month. Had the latter on this morning - a cutting wind with a smir of rain - twinned with a tweed newsboy hat: buckled the collar up, pulled the hat down low, and I good to go!

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
I've been switching between the ANJ-4 and Irvin for the past month. Had the latter on this morning - a cutting wind with a smir of rain - twinned with a tweed newsboy hat: buckled the collar up, pulled the hat down low, and I good to go!

Where is the photo of this outfit! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto