Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sky Captain hair

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Daisy--that is awfully sweet of you to say :eek:
And I'd be happy to show you some tricks the next time we meet up. Will you be going to the WWII Weekend in Reading? I'll be there this year, and I am going to try to make it to the QM again, too. I'd be happy to teach a class if MK would like me to :)

For me, shorter hair is easier to style, both on myself and on others. Very long hair is much harder to roll, especially if it isn't layered.

And I understand the hair loss dilemma; I was on a migraine medicine last year that caused me to lose some of my hair and it was pretty disconcerting. To help with the short new hairs that seem to pop up everywhere, spray the hair with hair spray and then smooth it into place with a densely-bristled brush (I use a boar bristle brush and this method works great--better than any product used alone.)

My best advice is to use a good brush (I still prefer a small-medium round brush, finished with a boar bristle brush) and vigorously brush your set out. Flip your head upside down and really brush the heck out of it, and then flip it back and start pushing the waves/curls into place. It will look a little wild at first, but it will settle down. (And if you're looking for specific style advice, you are more than welcome to PM me and I'll try to answer your questions :))

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
Thank you Daisy--that is awfully sweet of you to say :eek:
And I'd be happy to show you some tricks the next time we meet up. Will you be going to the WWII Weekend in Reading? I'll be there this year, and I am going to try to make it to the QM again, too. I'd be happy to teach a class if MK would like me to :)

For me, shorter hair is easier to style, both on myself and on others. Very long hair is much harder to roll, especially if it isn't layered.

And I understand the hair loss dilemma; I was on a migraine medicine last year that caused me to lose some of my hair and it was pretty disconcerting. To help with the short new hairs that seem to pop up everywhere, spray the hair with hair spray and then smooth it into place with a densely-bristled brush (I use a boar bristle brush and this method works great--better than any product used alone.)

My best advice is to use a good brush (I still prefer a small-medium round brush, finished with a boar bristle brush) and vigorously brush your set out. Flip your head upside down and really brush the heck out of it, and then flip it back and start pushing the waves/curls into place. It will look a little wild at first, but it will settle down. (And if you're looking for specific style advice, you are more than welcome to PM me and I'll try to answer your questions :))

Thank you so much for the hair brush/short hair advice. I'm gonna give that a try today. I actually have a thick bristle brush, I'm not sure if it is boars hair or horse hair. Either way, it's quite coarse. I find that my hair is a lot smoother when I use this brush.

Thanks again for all of your advice, it's greatly appreciated:) I'm actually contemplating getting extensions. Not so much to add length to my hair, which I would like a little more of, but to add a little thickness to it. I just haven't done it yet because I'm worried about the potential damage it might cause. I don't want to do any more damage to my already thinning hair. I'm also a little put off by the maintenance of it. It's something that I will have to constantly keep up. I'm not sure if I'm ready to take such drastic measures, when in actuality I could get a really nice wig:)

June

Familiar Face
Jitterbugdoll-thanks for the tips !

It would be great if you taught a class at the WWII Weekend. My sister-in-law and I are new to all this and could really benefit from your expertise. You'll be sure to recognize us-we'll be the ones with the paper bags over our heads :eek:

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
th-MarliynMan_Devan_8484780_400.jpg

I'm so glad someone mentioned other hairstyles...I'll admit, I still suck at this hair thing....I finally found a picture of what I would like to go for..how does she get her hair like that? (and is she REALLY that pale?)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
It would be great if you taught a class at the WWII Weekend. My sister-in-law and I are new to all this and could really benefit from your expertise. You'll be sure to recognize us-we'll be the ones with the paper bags over our heads

Thanks, June! I am sure you look lovely, so no paper bags needed lol

Mysterygal-Can you post a larger photo of Dita?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
will try again

ny13501052331.widec.jpg

I just think this is so cute! Is this done with rollers, or an iron? Also, I've bought some big rollers but haven't used them...do they give the hair any curl or is it just to give body?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
You would use very smaller rollers (like Hot Sticks) or pin curls to create that hairstyle. You could use a curling iron but it would take forever (I don't have the patience, so I scrapped using curling irons years ago.)

I achieve that look with smaller rollers, simply set under and towards the face. The hair naturally creates a soft "S" wave in the process, as it is long enough to wrap around the roller more then once (one turn create a "C" curl, more than the will form "S" waves/curls.) To deepen the finger wave effect, you can set the hair with alternating rows of pin curls--one row curled to the right, the next to the left, then right, and so on.

As a side note, I'm that pale so it's likely natural, made more dramatic by religious use of sun screen and avoidance of the sun; though I have heard that she uses body makeup for shows. I was once asked what I used to make my skin so white and the person would not accept the fact that I didn’t do a thing to alter my skin tone.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Well, being blonde, it looks so natural on you! It's just a very rare look, which I love-it really stands out! Speaking of sunscreen, this is my new years resolution! I've been so awful about using that stuff...5 biopsies later at a dermatologist is making me change some habits (results are all good though..thank God!)

Tough Cookie

One of the Regulars
Daisy Buchanan said:
*snip*I'm actually contemplating getting extensions. Not so much to add length to my hair, which I would like a little more of, but to add a little thickness to it. I just haven't done it yet because I'm worried about the potential damage it might cause. I don't want to do any more damage to my already thinning hair. I'm also a little put off by the maintenance of it. It's something that I will have to constantly keep up. I'm not sure if I'm ready to take such drastic measures, when in actuality I could get a really nice wig:)

I just started with extensions, they're a lot of fun and not that much work. I just had my second batch put in this past weekend, and my stylist decided to see how much longer he could make my hair, so this is fun. He managed to add about 4-5" and still keep it very natural looking. We also put in a good number of a different color throughout, so I have a high-lighted effect without the damage of bleach, which my thin (sorry--fine! I have fine hair, not thin hair! :eusa_doh: ;) ) hair couldn't handle.

I'm very lucky because the stylist is the husband of a good friend, we trade dance lessons for hair styling lessons (focusing on the 40's and 50's, of course!), so I just pay for the cost of supplies and the husband gets a practice head. Not that he needs practice, he's quite quite good.

Anyways, it can take a little getting used to--sleeping on the attachment points is annoying for a few nights, because of the new placements, and one should be very careful when brushing one's hair. I was careful before I got them, so it's not a change for me. Plus at night I twist it all up into a pony tail on top of my head with a soft cloth scrunchie so it's not a wild tangle in the morning.

Lemme know if you have any more questions about extensions. :)

Oh, and I believe Dita is a natural blonde, by the way.

epr25

Practically Family
Hi there this is a little of ladies hair. But I was not sure where else to post this. Please redirect if need be. My boyfrind has lovelye ringlet naturally curly hair. I have covinced him to grow it out. But now we need a style. I love the pomp but he's not going for it. I also really dig the polmaded and brushed back look, with the deep waves. His hair is perfect for that. But if you have any photos or can direct me to web site? We just need something to go by.

Kim_B

Practically Family
I agree - I think Dita looks stunning with dark hair!

Speaking of curling irons, several years ago I received one for my birthday but it's not your typical curling iron - it's one of those heated air brushes that looks like a curling iron, and let me tell you this thing creates curls that actually stay in my hair! That's what I used on my hair in my avatar (it works like a dream for finishing up the ends and is wonderful for touch ups at the end of the day).

http://www.conair.com/styling-irons-curling-irons-c-1_73_76.html

Kim_B

Practically Family
epr25 said:
Hi there this is a little of ladies hair. But I was not sure where else to post this. Please redirect if need be. My boyfrind has lovelye ringlet naturally curly hair. I have covinced him to grow it out. But now we need a style. I love the pomp but he's not going for it. I also really dig the polmaded and brushed back look, with the deep waves. His hair is perfect for that. But if you have any photos or can direct me to web site? We just need something to go by.

Here is a website that you can look through some images of classic actors...maybe that will give you both some ideas?

http://www.reelclassics.com/Actors/index.htm

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
SkyCaptain_10.jpg

New question!! Heh. The more I'm looking at these pictures, the more I want this hat! ^_^ Does anyone know where I might be able to find one? Love the color. I also have an oblong, 23 3/4" head, which makes these things difficult.

BV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy