Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sleeping in a hat?

Richard

Familiar Face
the last few months ive been sleeping in a hat ( a wool ski cap I got for free celebrating the 2002 olympics from cheerios by sending in box tops). Primarily because we are not using any heat and it's cold). didn't people used to wear nightcaps? i think i remember from cartoons, long elf like hats. any style tips? anyone else sleep in a hat?

Raindog

One of the Regulars
I have done Richard. Just the wooly hat though. I wouldn't mind trying a proper bedhat. What was the point of the long top I wonder? It'd get tangled up with me and end up strangling me.
Anyone remember the famous mirror scene in one of the Marx Brothers films with groucho in the sleep clothing??

Jeff.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Yes, especially now that I am living in Iowa, I sleep in a light stocking cap (they call them beanies nowadays).

I find it cuts down on the number of colds I get in the winter if I cover my head and ears at night.

Years ago, I used to sleep in a cotton turban made especially for women to cover their heads and keep their "do's" from flying all over the place. Unfortunately, they stopped making them in cotton, started making them in polyester -- and I stopped wear them.

karol

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Slept under a fedora on many an occasion. Train trips through Romania, especially late night ones, even quiet times on a night shift at work. Shhh

shamus

Suspended
I wear a wool cap if it's really cold. Growning up I did all the time in the winter as we didn't have heat in the bedrooms. Makes a huge difference.

PeeWee

One of the Regulars
Sure...I sleep in a lightweight wool toboggin during the cold months. We turn the heat down at night, and my noggin gets cold without it. A few years ago I looked around for a Ebeneezer Scrooge type nightcap with no luck. Some men still sleep in nightgowns too.

shamus said:
I wear a wool cap if it's really cold. Growning up I did all the time in the winter as we didn't have heat in the bedrooms. Makes a huge difference.

Geez, I could really go for one of those. Too bad it is too small. I'll have to check if Art has a blcok to make one. ;)
I am blessed with the California weather, it is raining right now:rolleyes:, so the heat doesn't cost that much and a few extra blankets makes a difference. Only the top of my head is outside the blankets anyway. ;) I couldn't stand having anything on my head while I am sleeping anyway--except hair of course. :p

Regards to all,

J

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
California coast winters...

I have to agree, an extra blanket seems to be good enough here. And, if it gets that cold I'll first get up and close the window before I put a knitted cap on.
' Course having to run out into the middle of the neighborhood wearing my boxers and one of those long red night caps after one of our California Quakes might cause some interesting discussion among the neighbors...

D. Hats said:
I have to agree, an extra blanket seems to be good enough here. And, if it gets that cold I'll first get up and close the window before I put a knitted cap on.
' Course having to run out into the middle of the neighborhood wearing my boxers and one of those long red night caps after one of our California Quakes might cause some interesting discussion among the neighbors...

Close the window? :eek: Its not that warm here and I am just about 355 miles north of you. ;) The windows don't come open here until after February except on rare occasion.
I've taken to wearing a little bit less than you to bed and that red nightcap just night cause quite a stir. :eek:
The only nightcap I am interested in comes from a bottle. ;) Kind of sounds like a quote from someone. We'll just attribute it to WC Fields. He must have said something similar once. :p :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
I know you're under a low pressure cloud right now. Down here we have a high pressure system moving in today that'll drive any clouds and moisture out... not that we're experiencing any anyway, it'll just keep your moisture from movin' in.
It's nothin' but sunshine and tee shirt weather right now... all's the high pressure system will do is generate some santa ana winds, and dry my skin out more.

D. Hats said:
I know you're under a low pressure cloud right now. Down here we have a high pressure system moving in today that'll drive any clouds and moisture out... not that we're experiencing any anyway, it'll just keep your moisture from movin' in.
It's nothin' but sunshine and tee shirt weather right now... all's the high pressure system will do is generate some santa ana winds, and dry my skin out more.

You're killing me up here. You poor thing.:rolleyes: Dry skin? :p Hahahahhaha!
I wish I was dry to the touch after going outside. ;)

Regards to all,

J

mjbrekke

New in Town
Check out http://www.sleepshirt.com/sleepcapandh.html. These are wonderful night caps. I've been wearing them at night for over a decade. Soft, comfortable, stretchy but not tight, reasonably priced, durable (a set of 3 lasts me about 4 years), just the right weight (not too hot, not too cold) and big enough so that you can pull it over your eyes when the sun rises. And they finally make them in navy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana