Slightly Sinister Children of the Golden Era

Discussion in 'The Golden Era' started by Veronica Parra, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Katt in Hat

Katt in Hat A-List Customer

My Dad used the basement furnace to grill steaks.

Just about the time the War ended and we were still in Brooklyn.(1945-6) My memory is certain on this. Not weird at all.

2. That kid's going to get grease on his arm, which will then catch on fire, and the other kid will keep right on playing the accordian. Meanwhile, their mom's going to wonder about that funny smell...and then go right back to dicing Spam.

3. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Caught

I think Marc is posing as Veronica so as not to seem so post-prolific.:rolleyes:

4. Now that's not true. Marc's writing yet another paper for school, but he's shown me that the Lounge is fun again. I got tired of it for a while.

5. mysterygal

mysterygal Call Me a Cab

actually, she probably thinks that the burning smell is the spam :rolleyes:
    My mom cooked it for us ONCE...never will I eat it again...I don't think it's even real meat.
    How could you get bored in here? :)

6. Not bored, but frustrated with all the political stuff. Marc doesn't mind it though. :)

7. Lincsong

Lincsong I'll Lock Up

This is too surreal

[/QUOTE]

My Dad had the exact same chairs, except in turquose, that we used in the patio in the 1970's and I played the accordian.:eek:

8. Burma Shave

Burma Shave One of the Regulars

Ah, Lincsong...

...but did you have a croquet putting green in the living room/barbecue pit?

9. Lincsong

Lincsong I'll Lock Up

No croquet but;

taking a closer look at those cabinets, they are the exact same kitchen cabinets my parents had in the kitchen. I think Dad still has the doors out in his backyard in case he wants to use them in the garage. (never will happen though)lol

10. Anagaharad

Anagaharad New in Town

Wow. I think i may have nightmares now..............

11. Cousin Hepcat

Cousin Hepcat Practically Family

Great thread!

Devil Boy says, "Have a Coke"

[​IMG]

This pod child's transformation into human form is almost complete: and look, no cavities

[​IMG]

Vampire Boy enjoys getting kid sister drunk in backyard on Dad's gin & vodka

[​IMG]

"Now be good, Johnny, or see that clown? He's gonna get you tonight..."

[​IMG]

The note from school says, "Danny is perfectly normal. There is nothing wrong with your son. Just go about your daily business..."

[​IMG]

HEYYY NOW... :eek:fftopic:

[​IMG]

Swing High,
    - Cousin Hepcat

12. Lincsong

Lincsong I'll Lock Up

Pre Ritalin

These kids were before the Ritalin outbreak.:eek:

13. mysterygal

mysterygal Call Me a Cab

that's why mom and dad are having the kids serve up gin and vodka instead of the regular lemonade stand

14. Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle My Mail is Forwarded Here

OH MY GOD! I'm laughing so hard, tears in my eyes, pounding the table...my partner just walked in to say "I didn't know your clients send in funny things you uncover as you prepare their tax returns!" Page 1 had me roaring. I'd stop, do something else, come back to it, and I'd make it down to Ham Girl before I couldn't hold back any longer...into a bit of a lull as you reach the end of page 2, and BAM! Right back with a vengeance with the 50's/60's "Look Ma, No Cavities!" ads. And the mention of the pod child - bravo! I often use pod comments that most don't pick up on (Regarding a particularly ditzy secretary who did something incredibly dim one day, my assistant said "Call her husband - see if there's a pod growin' in the greenhouse" which only about 1/3 of the office understood the derivation of). But this whole string is priceless. It deserves something like a Golden Fedora Award for hilarity.

15. Cousin Hepcat

No kidding, love all the posts! lol everyone needs a good laugh when doing T-t...t-t-t.. paperwork...

Hey for the same kind of humor, have you seen James Lilek's website for "interior desecrations" - great stuff, he's got a book too, I ordered that & passed around the office... someone else posted it somewhere here on the Lounge before: (he's the same one did the Gallery of Regrettable Food)

http://www.lileks.com/institute/interiors/index.html

Swing High,
    - Cousin Hepcat

16. I am laughing my _ _ _ off!!!

About a 1970s den: "The ever-popular 'explosion in the consignment store' look is achieved quite nicely here."

About a '70s bedroom: "This is a teenaged girl’s room. Toss a modern Goth chick in here and she’d dissolve on contact."

About a '70s bathroom, complete with a clawfoot bathtub painted purple: "This is the Age of Aquarius. If it’s moving, offer it a bong hit. If it’s not, paint it."

About a '70s wall print of a big banana: "The banana is cool because Andy Warhol painted them and they were on that album cover by that group mom wouldn’t let you buy and if you smoked the peel you got stoned they say I don’t know one girl said she tried it but she lies about everything anyway all the groovy kids are into bananas ..."

17. Cousin Hepcat

A couple of faves from his book: (you have to wonder if this guy's married, and if so, feel sorry for his wife!)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Cousin Hepcat

18. You've heard of misanthropists? Well, this guy's a misdecorist.

19. Burma Shave

Burma Shave One of the Regulars

Oddly, perhaps,

some of the stuff in that Interior Desecrations site reminds me of photographer/installation artist Sandy Skoglund's work.

Here's one, for example: http://www.batguano.com/bgma/skoglund.html