Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slim Fitting B3 Bomber Jacket?

nrvnqsrxk

New in Town
Hi, I'm trying to put together a costume for Halloween, and wanted to confirm with you guys that this is actually a B3 Bomber jacket.

I realize that there are epaulets on his jacket, but the closest I've found are B3 bombers or variants made by The Cockpit. I'm not sure which one is more accurate, the B-9 Jacket, and the RAF Sheepskin. Or is it a different jacket altogether that was heavily influenced by the bomber jackets that the Capcom Costume designers decided to "custom make"?

For these jackets, would the wool on the inside make the jacket bulky? Are there other alternatives than the cockpit/avirex? I would ask this on another forum, but you guys are the resident experts on these kind of jackets :) I'd like to thank you guys in advance for any help!

nrvnqsrxk

New in Town
@Hawkeye: Thanks for your suggestion. The B-6 Jacket looks much more like the one he wears in the pictures. Is there any way to give +1 on this forum?

@Fishmeok: That is the most attractively priced B-3 I've ever seen, haha. Do know where I can find pictures of people wearing this jacket?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the forum. None of the jackets you have pictured are accurate repros. This RAF jacket- "Irvin" has pockets, but originals never did. Original B-3 also did not have slash pockets, but a map pocket. WPG make a cheap, reasonably accurate repro B-3 which you might consider.

fishmeok

Vendor
nrvnqsrxk said:
@Hawkeye: Thanks for your suggestion. The B-6 Jacket looks much more like the one he wears in the pictures. Is there any way to give +1 on this forum?

@Fishmeok: That is the most attractively priced B-3 I've ever seen, haha. Do know where I can find pictures of people wearing this jacket?

I think if you search the list you will find it- there is a big thread about B-3's somewhere. The WPG one has thinner fleece than a true B-3, it's a good "looks right from 10 feet" jacket. He also makes an Irvin you might want to look at.
cheers
Mark

nrvnqsrxk

New in Town
Yea, after doing a search for WPG Irvin, I found that massive thread with a bunch of pictures. They look really good! I placed an order for a WPG Irvin in 38, but the warehouse contacted me later saying that they didn't have that jacket in stock. So I have a dilemma on hand.

I am a size 38, and am planning to take this jacket to Japan when I move there. Should I bite the bullet and take the 40 instead, or wait 2 weeks for a 38?

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
B3's

That looks like a B3 inspired design more than anything. Trimmer cut with longer sleeves, almost like a motorcycle jacket.

If you definitely want the trimmer cut, I'd say wait the two weeks for your size. It's not like you're going to need extra room to layer a sweater underneath, right?

My $0.02

Edward

Bartender
My call would be a mix of B6 and D1.... it has the epaulettes and trim fit of the B6 (which, if memory serves, was the only WW2 era USAAF sheepskin that had proper epaulettes), but the pocket placement and entry type looks much more D1:

B6:
B-6ELC.jpg

D1 - note the pocket detail:

D-1ELC.jpg

As has been said, the jacket in the picture is clearly an 'artistic licence' design, not a representation of a specific issue jacket. You could either buy one of the above, or have something made with comes a touch closer.... or just go for something cheaper. Shouldn't be hard to find something on eBay that will do the job if it is purely for a cosutme, especially if you are happy to go for something with a faux-sheepskin lining (quite a lot of seventies era stuff that cam be bought very cheaply and might fit the bill).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925