Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SM Wholesale A-2: 9 month review.

Fadetoblack88

Familiar Face
I've had my russet steerhide A-2 for about 9 months now, and I thought I would post an update and pictures of it for anyone curious about the SMW A-2. Its only been cold enough to wear it for about 6 months here, but I practically lived in it during this time.
It started out a little lighter shade then it is now and very uniform in color. And it was very smooth, almost no discernable graining. That has since changed. The leather is starting to get good grain, particularly in the collar/sleeves/pocket flap areas. The russet has a nice reddish hue to it under natural light and a bit more brown under artificial lighting. There are darker areas starting form on the leather, sort of like "tigar striping". Its hard to decern from the poor lighting but under the right conditions they are noticible. In the typical wear areas its developing a darker color, almost like a walnut brown. I replaced the brass talon puller with a vintage conmar and had a 34th BS "Doolittle Raiders" bullion patch added. I was too big to wear the jacket when I first received it but have since lost close to 50 LBs and can now fit reasonably ok-ish into it. The more weight I lose the better it will fit. My wife says I look ok in it so that's fine by me . Having said that I will post the measurements if asked. But it's a size 54. That was the biggest it could be made without totally distorting the lines and in keeping it a one piece back I was told. Its a nice big man size and to any big men reading this, yes, its possible to have an A-2 without looking distorted! Its my understanding originals went up to a size 56(?), so this should be within the proper parameters of the classic A-2 look. What does the audience think?

Attachments

• 20190510_151847-1.jpg
    20190510_151847-1.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 211

Fadetoblack88

Familiar Face
I've had my russet steerhide A-2 for about 9 months now, and I thought I would post an update and pictures of it for anyone curious about the SMW A-2. Its only been cold enough to wear it for about 6 months here, but I practically lived in it during this time.
It started out a little lighter shade then it is now and very uniform in color. And it was very smooth, almost no discernable graining. That has since changed. The leather is starting to get good grain, particularly in the collar/sleeves/pocket flap areas. The russet has a nice reddish hue to it under natural light and a bit more brown under artificial lighting. There are darker areas starting form on the leather, sort of like "tigar striping". Its hard to decern from the poor lighting but under the right conditions they are noticible. In the typical wear areas its developing a darker color, almost like a walnut brown. I replaced the brass talon puller with a vintage conmar and had a 34th BS "Doolittle Raiders" bullion patch added. I was too big to wear the jacket when I first received it but have since lost close to 50 LBs and can now fit reasonably ok-ish into it. The more weight I lose the better it will fit. My wife says I look ok in it so that's fine by me . Having said that I will post the measurements if asked. But it's a size 54. That was the biggest it could be made without totally distorting the lines and in keeping it a one piece back I was told. Its a nice big man size and to any big men reading this, yes, its possible to have an A-2 without looking distorted! Its my understanding originals went up to a size 56(?), so this should be within the proper parameters of the classic A-2 look. What does the audience think?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Interesting FTB - maybe use paragraphs so it is easier to read you. This A2 option has always interested me.

The key issue for affordable A2's are how is the lining and the knits holding up? Can you see wear, pilling, stretching of wool or a thinning of the lining fabric - especially in the neck area?

Fadetoblack88

Familiar Face
20190510_145742-1.jpg
20190510_145635-1.jpg
20190510_145626-1-1.jpg
20190510_145554-1.jpg
20190510_154509-1.jpg
20190510_154322~2-1.jpg
20190510_154535~2-1.jpg
20190510_150148-1.jpg
20190510_151856-1.jpg
20190510_151917-1.jpg

Interesting FTB - maybe use paragraphs so it is easier to read you. This A2 option has always interested me.

The key issue for affordable A2's are how is the lining and the knits holding up? Can you see wear, pilling, stretching of wool or a thinning of the lining fabric - especially in the neck area?
The knits are holding up very well. No pilling at all and they're a seamless construction. The lining is is a nice sturdy cotton and also holding up. All in all I would say its a very sturdy jacket. The stitching is spot on too.

Fadetoblack88

Familiar Face

My English professor would be horrified if he saw that

HPA Rep

Vendor
Nice wartime Conmar zipper slider and pull! SM Wholesale makes a solid A-2 at a great price.

As for original A-2 sizes, they went up to 54, but that was a 1940's 54, so while still large, it is not like a size 54 today and would lily fit a 52" chest measure comfortably, at best.

Thank you for sharing.

Fadetoblack88

Familiar Face
Nice wartime Conmar zipper slider and pull! SM Wholesale makes a solid A-2 at a great price.

As for original A-2 sizes, they went up to 54, but that was a 1940's 54, so while still large, it is not like a size 54 today and would lily fit a 52" chest measure comfortably, at best.

Thank you for sharing.[/QUOTE
My pleasure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot