Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Small Town Rodeo?

Foofoogal

Banned
Wondering if anyone has gone to a small town rodeo recently. I went the other night and it was like when I was a child. I have grown so used to the huge Houston Livestock Show I forgot what it was like when the Bull looks you in the eye and looks like he may just come over the fence. :eek: lol
I personally like the Ladies Barrel Racing best. Anyone do this?
Anyone collect vintage Rodeo items?
Eons ago honey used to ride bulls and I was so impressed when the Gilley mechanical bull didn't get the best of him. He put them all to shame. I have known several Pro Rodeo riders.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rodeo/news/story?id=4169752

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
In Gerry NY, in Chautauqua County (the WESTERN most county in New York State) they've had a really nice little rodeo every year since 1946. It's many years since I've been to one, but I remember it as being a total blast. It's sponsored by the local volunteer fire department. They have a nice size grandstand that was built a long time ago, and it's been running like a well oiled machine for decades.
http://www.gerryrodeo.org/
Some people may have issues with rodeos, and I don't intend to wade into that quagmire. But I just remember it as a totally fun family experience.
(Foofoo, I'll bet you didn't expect someone in New York to be the first to respond to this, did you? ;) )

High Pockets

Practically Family
I live in "Small Town Rodeo" country, and have spent more than my fair share of time at many of them.
There's nothing like it!
You can load up your horse and family and for a few bucks have the time of your life. Heck, if you do nothing more than meander around the parking lot on your horse chatting with all your buddies, just killing time during a few of the events that your not particularly interested in watching is worth it's weight in gold.

The smell of the dust and corndogs and the sound of a cheap PA system that's seen it's better days is something everyone should have an opportunity to enjoy on a hot summer evening......ahhh.

I have a few old belt buckles from the 40's and 50's as well as a pair of new Pee Wee's that are of the style of the 1940s.

100_2346.jpg

100_2343.jpg

High Pockets

Practically Family
Thank-you ma'am,.......back in the 1940's the short boot, (Pee-Wee's),with a riding heal and pointed toes were both fashionable and functional.

The "pointy" toes made it easier to find the stirrup without looking and the heals are designed to keep your foot from going all the way through the stirrup, which would for sure result in a deadly wreck.:)

The buckles may be vintage but the boots are not, I had my bootmaker build those for me a few years ago. We got the design from one of his company's catalogs from back then.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I have never been to any kind of rodeo, small town or otherwise. I don't think they come near here.

Chainsaw

Suspended
In need of advice

One of my spanish buddies, who's from Colombia invited me to a Rodeo.

There's supposed to be Pasa fino horse's, Brazillian Bar-B-Q, and hopefully lot's of women.

That being said, what does one wear to a Rodeo? I'm country/city guy, we have a family farm ( used more for hunting). Never owned a pair of cowboy boots, I don't own any jeans.

Do you think I can wear a Akubra Fed IV? And I have a pair of boots I grabbed from Magnoli, check my avatare. They're supposed to be for skeet shooting, but maybe I'll wear those. Any thoughts?

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
My mom grew up in Okemah, Oklahoma (Woody Guthrie's home town), and when we were young children, we'd visit our grandparents there during Founder's Weekend (I think that's what they called it). All the men grew whiskers and mutton chops and the like, and they held a county-wide rodeo.

It was fun.

Now, Okemah holds an annual Woody Guthrie festival, but I think Founder's Weekend has long since ceased to be.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Just about an entire decade ago, and that's maybe between nine to eleven years ago, I went to a rodeo as a kid (wore a fur felt tan cowboy hat too, still have it in my closet, but it's tattered, tapered, and stained through my constant use) around Big Bear Mountain, California. I've been to one other too, at a larger stadium, but that's as far as I can remember right now. I'd love to go to another someday if I can scout one out nearby. Occasionally, I'll catch a rodeo on TV, but that's it.

Do you think I can wear a Akubra Fed IV? And I have a pair of boots I grabbed from Magnoli, check my avatare. They're supposed to be for skeet shooting, but maybe I'll wear those. Any thoughts?

The Akubra Federation IV (dark brown) is all I really own at the moment, so I'm in the same boat. I love wearing it, but I can't help but feel that a fedora with a wider ribbon might be a bit out of place for a rodeo. Personally, I'd opt to wear an Akubra Campdraft in silverbelly, once I get my hands on one, as far as fedoras go; it's definitely a very "western" fedora. However, if I went hatless, I'd use the rodeo as an opportunity to actually buy at least a nice looking straw cowboy hat, if they do happen to sell them there.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Thanks JB.

I remember what my brother said about Arizona. He said if your not wearing a cowboy hat, and really loud western shirt the woman won't even look at you. I don't want to go without a hat, I think that Akubra I got on order will be better then nothing. I forgot I have a straw hat somewhere. It's not that fancy, but maybe that might be better. I'm not crazy about buying throwaway hat's. If I'm going to buy one, i might as well spend some dunns and get a proper one.

Chow

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I've been to a few in Texas and Montana with my brother-in-law who's a big rodeo fan having grown up on a ranch in Montana.. They were pretty cool; kinda like going to a high school football game.

Here's a belt buckle that my brother-in-law's grandfather gave me to commemorate my first visit to his ranch. He gave them to all the tenderfoot Yankees who visited. He was quite a guy; a real character.

Shoes558.jpg

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Tomasso said:
Here's a belt buckle that my brother-in-law's grandfather gave me to commemorate my first visit to his ranch. He gave them to all the tenderfoot Yankees who visited. He was quite a guy; a real character.
lol That is a riot.

WH1

Practically Family
:p
Chainsaw said:
Thanks JB.

I remember what my brother said about Arizona. He said if your not wearing a cowboy hat, and really loud western shirt the woman won't even look at you. I don't want to go without a hat, I think that Akubra I got on order will be better then nothing. I forgot I have a straw hat somewhere. It's not that fancy, but maybe that might be better. I'm not crazy about buying throwaway hat's. If I'm going to buy one, i might as well spend some dunns and get a proper one.

Chow
Tomasso very beautiful buckle nice not a platter like some we see. Nice that he spent so much on a commemorative buckle in your honor.;) :p

I rodeo'd for over 20 years and have been around it all my life. Clothing wise only things which are really acceptable are:
wrangler 13mwz jeans or cinch jeans, starched with a creased leg. Buy them 2"-4" longer than your normal inseam that way they "stack" on your boots. (keeps them from riding up over the top of your boots when you are in the saddle") ($30-$35)
A clean lightly starched button down type shirt in a nice stripe or easy color, again wrangler or cinch make the best. also regular buttons, snaps and smiley pockets are for dudes and wanna be's:p ($35-$45)
for belt and buckle a simple horsehair or leather belt with a basket stamp.
($25-$40)
Avoid the really big gaudy buckles unless you won it (I have some that weigh a ton I don't wear them but they look good on the wall, gotta have something to show for all the trips to the emergency room). If you don't have a buckle you won the best thing is a nice sterling silver ranger set. Garcia and montana silversmiths make some nice ones but they are spendy.
($150 and up)
For boots easiest and most comfortable for my money are justin or ariat roper style boots. ($95-$125)
Hats are a matter of personal preference used to be the style you wore told where you were from. I have always gone with the traditional resistol cattleman's crease in black.($125) I also have it in a shantung straw with a bound edge. ($45)

Oh and never never scream yeehaw at a rodeo.lol :rage:

Chainsaw

Suspended
Thank you Kindly WH1. I had a Beautiful belt buckle that an indian chief gave to my Dad, but I traded it to another Indian for a handmade medicine/tabaco pouch (long story).

Now Resistol, that doesn't sound bad. I suppose our hat's would be Similar to the German Tyroler hats. Traditionally were woodsman, and hunters by nature. not too many cowboys where I come from.

My Grandfather always wanted a couple Palominos. If I ever make any real money, I'm going to finish the place on the farm, and probably get those horses.

Edit: almost forgot, hows that go? "Cowboy up?"

Burton

One of the Regulars
I've been to several small town rodeos and remember one that stood out in Arizona where I was with my folks that I think caught so many things that are right with our country. It was great fun and I must admit with all I the adventurous things I have done in my life (by normal standard a lot) I really respect the hell out of the crazy fellows that ride those bulls.

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Boots

Hign Pockets, those boots are Blucher boots, made in Oklahoma. Blucher is still in business, and still making fine boots; I have two pair.

I was once at a small time rodeo in Balmorea, TX. Interstate 10 had not yet been completed. It was local cowboys and cowgirls, and I don't remember seeing sponsor logos like you often see today hanging around. It was a great rodeo; and Balmorea is an interesting town out in the Big Bend area. It has an amazing spring that you might want to learn about. Swimming in that spring was quite an experience too; the pool is 25 feet deep and the water is as clear as air. A person could get vertigo swimming in that pool.

Best part of any rodeo is when they set loose a greased pig and the kids chase it, or they set loose kids riding sheep.

Bandera, TX has a pretty good rodeo too, but Bandera is a tad bigger than Balmorea and up in the Hill country. Bandera is a pretty small town with a few good places to eat.

There are also the prison rodeo's we have here in the states; Angola in Louisiana, and the state prison in Oklahoma has a rodeo too. I don't know of any others, if someone does, write in.

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
Been going to rodeos all my life. Rode in some. Still going to as many as I can find time for. I try to get out to the Prairie Circuit for some of the better riders.

Like a few of you above I've got a couple pair of Blucher's, even wearing a pair right now. "Never lose a Stirrup!"

It amazes me that where ever I've gone to a Rodeo, Calgary, Casper, Guymon, OKC, Stillwater, Cheyenne, Arkansas, Amarillo--They are essentially identical in terms of program, pagentry, and jokes--Haven't changed in 70+ years.

I still like the look of a beautiful woman in Western dress at a rodeo.....be it jeans and boots, blouse and skirt, or dress- something about 'em.

I wear what I am comfortable in and have never felt out of place. Never earned a buckle so that's a no go. Just jeans/khakis, boots, long sleeve shirt, belt. And it's true-Lot's of Starch.

All the best,

CH

$ally

One Too Many
I'm based in Arizona USA, so we have quite a few here. My side job is at an old west theme park, which has a small weekly rodeo with amateur buy-in, not to mention yearly larger ones like Bill Picket and AGRA. I don't participate, but we get some talented cowpokes

davestlouis

Practically Family
I have fond memories of a small town rodeo somewhere out west during the one big family vacation we took across the whole western US in 1977. I don't have a clue where it was though.

Around here we have the gay rodeo every couple of years, at the National Equestrian Center in Lake St. Louis. You will see some wild outfits at that event...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk