Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

LostInTyme

A-List Customer
We were soldiers

trained in the arts of death dealing
life taking measures were imposed
without concern
for the opposing combatants
quarter was never given
or considered

if an enemy was spared
he might return again
and the outcome could reverse

smoke ‘em if you got ‘em
was a common call
never partaking
was my choice

at night, we lived and slept in holes
small measures to be safe
but our foes knew each one
and where we hid

when they came
they came in force
in numbers so great
we couldn’t count

first call was
they’re in the wire
responding from our holes
raining hell fire on them
‘till the ammo ran out

next call, they’re in the compound
ell tee called in the strike…..

in a moment, it was over
soldiers no more
combatants no more
just the dead, the dying and the maimed

somewhere, someone said
smoke ’em if you got ’em
but no one did

Times change …

0586A1ED-AD49-4751-9339-E943CF9B926B.jpeg

BTW, I’ve known that phrase for as long as I can remember, and have used it myself many times. John Prine used the line in a song lyric (“The Bottomless Lake”).

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
“Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em” takes me back to Basic Training. The drill sergeant always said it and seemed to be giving smokers an extra minute or two of peace. So, of course, I took up smoking. I stopped again as soon as basic training was completed.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
“Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em” takes me back to Basic Training. The drill sergeant always said it and seemed to be giving smokers an extra minute or two of peace. So, of course, I took up smoking. I stopped again as soon as basic training was completed.
Ditto this.
I recall in boot camp when the DI said “smoking lamp is lit” nearly every swingin***k was lined up hot boxing as many butts as they could in the few minutes of escape. Was the only way to get a quick buzz. Sometimes they made all line up. Very few were non-smokers.
Yeah, times change.
B

Tiki Tom

Smoking and boozing makes you a better citizen!

Yup. Even at the time, I recall remarking that Uncle Sam seemed to be actively promoting smoking and alcohol abuse in young men. The boozing was to truly epic proportions. I wonder what the military’s message to new recruits is today.

Turnip

Similar here.
When I joined the Navy we were entitled for two packs of duty free cigarettes per sea day and the traditional monthly liter of booze. In case of no service sea days during a month we made a little duty free tour beyond the three miles zone to make sure everybody could grab the bottle they ordered.

Turnip

At this end you’re in fact a good deal for the state, smoking and drinking.
You pay a lot more tax than those who don’t and you’ll statistically die socially acceptably early enough to avoid weighing down the social insurances like those who don’t.
The health costs dying early from cancer… are more than countervailed compared to the costs caused by number and increased endurance of those leaving cigs and booze away and join all those wonderful geriatric diseases… that smokers… statistically just don’t grow old enough for to enjoy.

At least over here…

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff