Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking and the Golden Era

Smoking looked good in the Golden Era, for some reason. Here's an example:

Gardelsmoking.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Bette Davis made smoking look glamorous in a number of her movie, but the classic smoking scene is in Now Voyager, in which Paul Heindred lights two cigarettes and gives one to Davis, all the while the two of them are staring at each other. One of the sexiest scenes in the movies and no one shed clothes or even kissed in that scene.

Then there is my beloved James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause, with a cigarette hanging from his mouth.

Yes, Dietrich in many of her films, whether in Morroco (photo above) or when she portrayed Shangi Lili. All the cool bad girls smoked.

Then there was Simone Signoret in Room at the Top. She not only smoked, but she French inhaled, that was coolest of all. My friends tried to imitate her, none looked as good as she did.

karol

Bebop

Practically Family
Looking at all these photos of cool, daper, real men smokers reminds me of why I started smoking when I was 11 years old. Bogart and that horrible lung cancer that killed him reminds me of why I quit smoking 20 years later, or at least replaced cigarettes with pipes.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
They really knew how to make it look glamorous...too bad it's so dangerous. I suppose if they could ever make it with all of the disease causing elements removed we'd all start lighting up to full Bogart and Davis effect.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Sefton said:
They really knew how to make it look glamorous...too bad it's so dangerous. I suppose if they could ever make it with all of the disease causing elements removed we'd all start lighting up to full Bogart and Davis effect.

I know!!

Hondo

One Too Many
If only Sir Walter Raleigh knew, quit over 4 years ago :cry: Geez I used to enjoyed smoking and coffee, but it will kill you, as well as make your skin age, look older than you are, I feel better today anyway these days, damage is already done, after 30 years with this nasty habit, I intend to live, just an opinion friends ;)

Hondo said:
If only Sir Walter Raleigh knew, quit over 4 years ago :cry: Geez I used to enjoyed smoking and coffee, but it will kill you, as well as make your skin age, look older than you are, I feel better today anyway these days, damage is already done, after 30 years with this nasty habit, I intend to live, just an opinion friends ;)

Let me get this straight. You mean they didn't know about cigarettes from their very inception? Try this:
"Smoking is a custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose, harmful to the brain, dangerous to the lungs, and in the black, stinking fume thereof nearest resembling the horrible Stygian smoke of the pit that is bottomless."
- King James I of England, (1566-1625) A Counter-blaste to Tobacco (1604).
The passage was written shortly after Sir Walter Raleigh introduced tobacco to England from the Americas.
So this means they have known the effects of cigarette smoking for 401 years now! If you don't know by now just forget it. :p Puts a new spin on tobacco lawsuits now doesn't it? :kick: :rolleyes:

Regards to all,

J

Bebop

Practically Family
Tobacco lawsuits :rolleyes: . Another one of my pet peeves. Let adults be and act like adults and have adults take the consequences of their desisions. In other words, drink and smoke as much as you want. You have the information on the negative effects. Now accept those effects like an adult. I really should not get started on "adulthood" here. I can go on and on......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points