Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

*Snoods*

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Anyone wear one of these? And if so, what material is yours made out of?
Are they easy or ackward to wear?

I recently watched 'Raging Bull' with De Niro & Cathy Moriarty. Cathy is just GORGEOUS in this roll. Anyhow, in a few scenes she was wearing a snood and it looked fabulous. It also, looks like something that would be great to throw your hair in when you around the house.

I have seen some for sale on Ebay & what not, however some look knitted out of yarn,and I just don't think this would be a lasting snood nor do I think it would hold up your hair very well.

So I am looking for any suggestions!

Smiles & Thanks ~ Melissa

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab

Rosie

One Too Many
I've been wearing snoods almost everyday for about the past month or so. (I'm wearing one in my avatar). As I wait for my hair to grow out, my hairstyle of choice has been rolls of varying sizes and "dressed up-ed-ness" (it's a technical term) and a snood. Mine mainly are made of rayon or polyester and I've found a few that are dressier, covered in rhinestones or in pearls. I like them a lot, they are cooler in hot weather than keeping my hair on my shoulders and I have a variety of colors to match many outfits. Around the house, I either put my hair up in a bun or wear a head scarf.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Snood

I happen to own three snoods, I used to wear them in the late 80's when my hair used to be long. I actually have gotten rid of almost all of my 80's hair things but I kept a few things, (incase I ever grow my hair out again) the snoods in particular because they are so 1940's! Mine are not vintage... I guess since mine are from the 80's they would be retro instead! Now my hair is to short to wear a snood - I have a chin length bob! I have one cream colored one and it is made of lace and one black one made of lace and a black one that is net.

Brooksie

Brooksie

One Too Many
snoods

The snoods I own are a little different than the ones that look like a giant hair net... mine have a little bow attached to a hair clip and a little elasticized pouch you put your hair in. I think this is also known as a snood but if I am wrong I would appreciate it if someone would enlighten me so I will not be ignorant to this fact any longer! :p

Brooksie

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
Thanks girls! Your the best!
Very detail oriented & answering all my questions.

I think I am going to get myself one of these *very* soon!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I have a black rayon one, no idea from where. I haven't worn it since the late 90's.

I would like to make one though, anyone know where I can get crochet patterns?

Naama

Practically Family
I only wore mine once.... But it wasn't a flashy one, it was one of them who shouldn't be seen and just hold your hair in place. I went out with it, dancing, and let's say, there was a guy who was quite surprised. :eek: But then again, it was really invisible lol

Naama

maisie

Practically Family
I've got a black cotton one, and it is pefect for when its hot!! When i was a military show about a week ago and it was a heat wave it is perfect for making sure the curls stay in and keeping your hair your neck!!!:D

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab

There are quite a few vintage and reproduction snood patterns on eBay--I was looking at one just the other day.

jitterbugdoll said:
I wear them--they are great for rainy days or for times when your hair doesn't turn out the way you like it!

The ones I have are made out of a rayon yarn with a piece of elastic at the top. They work well (providing the elastic is not too snug), but I really want to try one of these more authentic versions:
http://www.retrolamour.co.uk/Admin/ProductData/SNOODS.htm

Those are cute styles, but if you compare the ones they've made to the vintage picture I think they are using a yarn weight that is still a tad too heavy.
I have a ton of knit & crochet patterns from the 30's and 40's that belonged to my grandmother. I bet I have a snood pattern among them.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really like the idea of "snoods". It makes doing ones hair in a 40's style much easier.
Recently I've gotten into the show "Charmed", yes this is silly for someone my age, but they re-run it during the afternoon and I'm un-employed. But anyway, Alyssa Milano's character has a 40's flare to her style. They often have vintage looking flowers in her hair, or they have her in a snood. They do a good job with it, and I like the way it looks.
As for ease of use, I'm not good with doing my hair in any style. It took me a while to figure out how to get one to really stay in my hair. What I like about it. I can get away with a 40's do without putting my entire head in pin curls.

I don't own any vintage ones. The ones I have are made of nylon. I got them on-line at The Red Dress Shoppe http://www.reddressshoppe.com/Shoes and Accessories.htm
They were the shoppe that I found that sells them for the best price. Added bonus, they have some very cute repro dresses and shoes.

Daisy Buchanan

jitterbugdoll said:
I wear them--they are great for rainy days or for times when your hair doesn't turn out the way you like it!

The ones I have are made out of a rayon yarn with a piece of elastic at the top. They work well (providing the elastic is not too snug), but I really want to try one of these more authentic versions:
http://www.retrolamour.co.uk/Admin/ProductData/SNOODS.htm

The ones I have right now came from here:
http://swinglindy.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=493

These are great sites. Never been to them before, very glad you posted them.
Thanx:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Daisy Buchanan

CherryRed said:
I haven't watched Charmed in a long time but I did recently see that episode. Now those are done in a much better weight.

They have actually had quite a few episodes in which the characters go back in time to the 30's or 40's.
They even did their own version of "The Maltese Falcon" and another episode in which they have a USO party at the club they own. Everyone dressed in vintage. Fun to watch. The secret is out, I'm 31, and I like "Charmed". How embarrassing.
Their hair always looks so great, I've actually used stills from some of the episodes and attempted to re-create their styles.
Thanks for the snoods picture, I was trying to find one to post on this thread, but couldn't.

Daisy Buchanan said:
They have actually had quite a few episodes in which the characters go back in time to the 30's or 40's.
They even did their own version of "The Maltese Falcon" and another episode in which they have a USO party at the club they own. Everyone dressed in vintage. Fun to watch. The secret is out, I'm 31, and I like "Charmed". How embarrassing.
Their hair always looks so great, I've actually used stills from some of the episodes and attempted to re-create their styles.
Thanks for the snoods picture, I was trying to find one to post on this thread, but couldn't.

lol I'm almost 34, I used to watch it regularly. I got out of the habit of watching during the second season with Paige.
Those episodes sound fun. Don't feel too bad Daisy, I am a Gilmore Girl's fan, and that's a younger age bracket's show too.;)
In fact they had an episode with a 1940's dance and I belive Sookie wore a snood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk