Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So Close, Yet So Far...

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
I went to an estate sale in Dallas just to look at this hat on top of the Remington typewriter:

12hral_charlie.jpg

Close Up:

Close-12hral_charlie.jpg

The sale started at 10, and I got there at noon, but the hat was already gone. Ralph Willard (a local legend) was running the sale. When I asked him about the hat, he said he sold 2 "top hats" earlier in the morning. I asked if he remembered any details about the hats, and he jokingly said, "Now you're getting too personal." Understandable, considering the dozens of customers swarming through this amazing old house. (http://www.24-7estatesales.com/ralph_willard.html)

In light of the fact that he sold me a near perfect Stetson 25 for $5, I fear that I missed out on at least one great old hat.

It looks very old... very Deadwood... early 1900's. Like a cross between a Homburg and a Top Hat.

Can anyone tell me what I missed? What kind of hat was it?

Based on the limited view my guess would be early 1900s maybe very late 1800s. It has the brim curl and taper of an early Homburg - Fedora assuming its soft felt and has a center crease of course :). If it is stiff .....? That sure would have been a super get!

One Too Many
Nice and great Hat ¡¡

But this picture reminds me high-school era, when I typewrote on this machines, in México We had to make homework, what a time¡¡¡
2843975630106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

It is my own machine, only need the Hamburg (my dad have one storage).

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Who needs an iPad?

Who needs an iPad when you have one of these babies!?

The estate sale was at the home of a former reporter for the Dallas Morning News. She had several vintage typewriters, but I didn't buy any of them because The Fedora Lounge hasn't taught me about them... yet. And, my wife would have killed me, if I bought anything other than the Stetson.

150719541 said:
But this picture reminds me high-school era, when I typewrote on this machines, in México We had to make homework, what a time¡¡¡
2843975630106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

It is my own machine, only need the Hamburg (my dad have one storage).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot