So I Found These Pants Today

Discussion in 'Suits' started by Michael A, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

[​IMG]DSCN1967 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
    My question, the age? A few points: no belt loops, exterior suspender buttons, hand felling, apparently made in France for Sigrand & Cie, narrow legs, 15" at hem, long button fly.
    [​IMG]DSCN1937 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN1934 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN1935 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN1941 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN1939 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN1968 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN1969 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
    [​IMG]DSCN1954 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Michael

2. MondoFW

MondoFW Practically Family

Interesting find. They look very Edwardian, that's all I can add. Lack of belt loops and the suspender buttons would indicate they're very early pants, unless this is some top-tier repro.

Michael A likes this.
  3. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

They aren't repros. I agree they have an Edwardian feel or even Victorian. All I can find on the department store Sigrand are some catalog scans from the 20s thru the 30s. And I'm not sure they are the same as Sigrand & Cie. I have no experience dating clothes this old. Another idea I've been considering is how did French pants end up in the middle of Iowa. One route would have been with a returning WWI veteran. So my wild guess is that they are from between 1918 and the early 1920s.

Thanks,
    Michael

4. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt A-List Customer

Looks like the typical trousers that go with a frock coat.
    From my point of view, it is difficult to classify them more precisely in terms of time, as they have been tailored according to the same pattern for a long time. I would guess 1900/10 to mid-20s - so Edwardian still fits. Interesting that they do not have the usual adjustable belt for width adjustment at the back.

Michael A likes this.
  5. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Michael A likes this.
  6. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

Dang, you mean now I'm going to have to find a frock coat to wear them? Ha ha. I was surprised by the lack of waist adjustment, too. And they are cut very trim in the waist for the size of the seat. I was amazed to find them in the thrift store, and with the sharp creases still in them.

Thanks,
    Michael

Mean Eyed Matt likes this.
  7. MondoFW

Dont forget to send us a pic of the full ensemble ;)

This is a pretty damn good score, Edwardian trousers in a store in...Iowa. It's bizarre how vintage stuff gets shifted to their polar opposite environments--I've heard New York City shops garner a lot of vintage Western gear, how ironic

Michael A likes this.
  8. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt A-List Customer

I would like to see this full-ensemble-picture, too!

MondoFW and Michael A like this.
  9. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Nice condition. Could they be part of a uniform, perhaps - an hotel or some other classy joint? I imagine some venues had uniforms that were unchanging for many years.

Dirk Wainscotting and Michael A like this.
  10. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

11. MondoFW

Wunderbar! My favorite outfit I've seen from you. Did you go out in this neo-victorian style? :D

Michael A likes this.
  12. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Cane and a Topper Michael...cane and a Topper!
    B
    Ps: then you will look like the guy for Mr. Disney Hats. Cool!

Michael A and MondoFW like this.
  13. Michael A

Michael A I'll Lock Up

No, it got too warm after an hour or two today. It will come out sometime this autumn. I'm not sure how old the coat is. It was made or sold by Lockley in London. A lot of handwork is apparent in it. The silk grosgrain lapels need replacement, but the wool is in very good shape.

You're right, Bowen. I need a cane and a topper. And a few of Mr Disney's hats.

Thanks,
    Michael

Dlaniger and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  14. Dirk Wainscotting

Dirk Wainscotting A-List Customer

I'm going to tentatively put them at the late '50s, but using an older tried-and-true drafting system (rear darts not at centre-line, finishing on the side pockets are all standard details for trousers of the 1930s and earlier). There is a lot of visible machine work, so that is either a sign that they are later or that they were made with a eye on cost; this makes me agree with Seb Lucas that they could have been waiter's trousers?
    The slide fastener is probably a replacement, but that's not unusual.

PeterB likes this.