Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So, I was just working in the shop, minding my own business when...

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I got a call from my buddy John McLaughlin in Milwaukee ( Brass Rooster) telling me that he and his lovely wife Kate were in the basement of a building in NYC, digging through boxes of never used felts hoods that were made for the Mallory and Merrimac hat companies in 1952 and 1953. OK, you have my attention, now what?
John & Kate were given permission to buy what they wanted before the owner sent the rest off to another Milliner and wanted to know if I wanted to participate in the deal.
REALLY???
YOU HAVE TO ASK??? LOL
SO, I was able to buy in conjunction with John & Kate 100 bodies that are "content unknown". Some feel like beaver but most likely are not, but ALL of them are 61 or 62 years old and completely stabilized felt. For those who are new to the hobby, this means that the felt has felted itself to the maximum density and cannot get any denser. All of them are featherweight , lighter than anything I have worked with, and totally unique. I posted a picture of the first hat to be made for a client in the "Official" VS thread but this story needed to be told here. It has been in the works since March and have been dying to tell everyone. This has been a hatters dream, the big score.

Colors ( not complete)

IMG_0974.jpg IMG_0975.jpg IMG_0976.jpg

I need to Thank John and Kate for including me in on this and please know that they also have these bodies and will be coming out with what I believe they are calling the "Vintage 100". Look for VS and Brass Rooster collaborations in the future.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Wow! Some spectacular colors in this bunch.
Congratulations on this find - I am sure many a lovely hat with come out of this.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Incredible find!!! Amazing things like this turn up. Glad you could get some of them Art, you will due them justice when you turn them into beauties.

fedoralover

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
With all your collection of vintage ribbons they will be awesome to see!

BTW have you a date set on your grand opening yet? Or did it come and go and I missed it?

fedoralover

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Woah, amazing find, specially since you know how to use em!

This fedora thing is quickly becoming fascinating stuff to me more and more and faster and faster.

GREAT COLOURS! wow!

good score.

Brass Rooster

Vendor
BAIuxhBvHt7

This is one of the Vintage hoods in the Coffeetone color. I made this a few weeks ago with a Fluer Da Lis bash, vintage ribbon, and a lace wrap on the bow with lace off of a gown from the 1920's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112