Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
When I was about four years old I punctuated an argument with my mother by telling her to "kiss my a**" which was a phrase I heard her use a dozen times every day. She gave me the "mouthful of soap" routine, and I swallowed it and laughed. "Gimme some more!"

Then I ran out behind the house and threw up. But she never tried that with me again.

"Do as I say, not as I do" is never a good way to parent. But hey: none of us get this parenting thing right all of the time.

When I was about four years old I punctuated an argument with my mother by telling her to "kiss my a**" which was a phrase I heard her use a dozen times every day. She gave me the "mouthful of soap" routine, and I swallowed it and laughed. "Gimme some more!"

Then I ran out behind the house and threw up. But she never tried that with me again.
Ha! Lizzie, I did the same exact thing. My mom "washed my mouth out with soap" once. Once. [emoji14]

During high school gym class, in the days when a wooden paddle with holes in the middle was used by the coach to punish offenders...
That's exactly the kind of paddle that aforementioned "coach" used. By the time I got to high school the coaches had become more creative with their discipline, and instead of getting paddled we were required to run laps on the school's track. They claimed the number of laps would be determined by the severity of the infraction, but it became immediately obvious they were making it up as they went. And if you didn't run those laps to their satisfaction--too slow, complaining or making a joke of it, or for no reason in particular--just as you thought your punishment was coming to an end they'd add more laps to your "sentence".

3fingers

One Too Many
Thanks for the optimism [emoji14]
We won't discuss your impending brain shrinkage that will correspond with him entering his teens then.
The good news is as he gets older you will become smarter again. That corresponds with the reality check that real life brings to us all.
Enjoy the ride, it's not all bad.

Thank goodness I was taught in the DoDDS system; totally secular, great teachers who wanted to teach kids and no corporal punishment whatsoever. The education that I received largely made the person that I am today.

Got suspended once in all that time, for a day or so. Otherwise, just a locker full of tardy slips at the end of each semester!

For the record, I attended only secular, public schools too. This wasn’t nuns, it was regular public school teachers. You got paddled if you forgot our homework. I disagree with our implication that the teachers weren’t interested in teaching kids though.

That's exactly the kind of paddle that aforementioned "coach" used. By the time I got to high school the coaches had become more creative with their discipline, and instead of getting paddled we were required to run laps on the school's track. They claimed the number of laps would be determined by the severity of the infraction, but it became immediately obvious they were making it up as they went. And if you didn't run those laps to their satisfaction--too slow, complaining or making a joke of it, or for no reason in particular--just as you thought your punishment was coming to an end they'd add more laps to your "sentence".

Running laps is a time honored disciplinary tactic. It’s usually just a way to get kids occupied and out of the coach’snhair for a bit.

How anyone can think that deliberate, ritualized humiliation of a child, or the infliction of physical violence on that child will accomplish anything constructive or of psychological benefit to that child is completely beyond my comprehension. Obedience won thru fear is not true obedience, and respect won thru fear is actually thinly-veiled contempt. A dog beaten into submission is the dog most likely to tear your throat out when you least expect it.

I can't count the number of times I've argued with those who profess that the way to raise "respectful" youngsters is to inflict pain upon them when they misbehave.

Oh yeah, they'll respect the fact that an adult is willing to put a serious hurt on them, and their fear of that might keep their behaviors in check, but don't conflate that with respect for the person inflicting the pain.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
How anyone can think that deliberate, ritualized humiliation of a child, or the infliction of physical violence on that child will accomplish anything constructive or of psychological benefit to that child is completely beyond my comprehension. Obedience won thru fear is not true obedience, and respect won thru fear is actually thinly-veiled contempt. A dog beaten into submission is the dog most likely to tear your throat out when you least expect it.
Your argument is right on the mark. I've tried and tried to get it across that corporal punishment is barbaric. The way that you have worded it makes for eloquent debate. Can you imagine that if an employer was unhappy with your work, you would be sent to the correction centre to receive a beating? You can't beat an adult, why should you beat a child. Some say that the school bully deserves to get the same as he gives, but that's just teaching the child that hitting someone is justified.

The catholic school that I went to really went over the top with beatings, is it any wonder why their churches today have so many empty seats?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think part of the reason "the rod" holds on so long in parts of the US is that this country has a long tradition of physical brutality justified as "discipline." The Puritans didn't "gently correct" those who misbehaved, the Patriots didn't quietly invite the Loyalists to go somewhere else, slave owners didn't reason with their chattels, factory owners were quick to send in the goons to keep the workers in line, and police for much of the 20th century were notorious for "beating a confession" out of suspects. The rope, the tar pot, the whip, the lead pipe, the blackjack, and the rubber hose are as much a part of American history as the Constitution, and that heritage still runs strong in a lot of people.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
An interesting idea. I will bring it up at the next staff meeting and see where it goes.:D
Do you know, you could be on to a winner?
miss whiplash.jpg

Yesterday in the doctors waiting room for my yearly physical.
Took an iPhone shot of this hanging on the wall.
2z6t1qf.jpg

This expresses how I felt after waiting for more than half
an hour in the cold waiting room.
I'm pretty sure they hang those in the exam rooms just to remind their patients that being a doctor isn't as easy as they might think.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Doctors. You mean meat mechanics? [emoji14]

Meat mechanic came back with my results of my physical and I'm happy
to report that no overhaul will be required on my antique body.
Although I did show 2% count of being slightly anemic and was recommended vitamin D3.

It was suggested I should visit
the pharmacy to get a shot to prevent
shingles. I hate needles, but was
told that the pain of having shingles
is worse ! :(

Last edited:
Meat mechanic came back with my results of my physical and I'm happy
to report that no overhaul will be required on my antique body.
Although I did show 2% count of being slightly anemic and was recommended vitamin D3.

It was suggested I should visit
the pharmacy to get a shot to prevent
shingles. I hate needles, but was
told that the pain of having shingles
is worse ! :(
As long as all is good, you're golden buddy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk