Soap is bad for skin!

Discussion in 'Beauty' started by Stormy, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Stormy

Stormy A-List Customer

So, what do you ladies use to cleanse and to exfoliate? Even mild soaps are loaded with damaging ingredients. I don't even use baby products on my 1yr old grandson.

As for me, I'm looking for alternatives to soaps for optimal skin care. Is sea salt good for both cleansing and rejuvenating?

2. therizyflapper

therizyflapper One of the Regulars

I use a homemade cold cream to cleans and a homemade salt or sugar scrub to exfoliate and witch-hazel to tone :)

3. Grnidwitch

Grnidwitch A-List Customer

Ohhh, homemade cold cream. Please, tell me more. I found that I have to use Ponds CC, anything else drives my skin crazy. I really wanted to get away from the mineral oil that's in Ponds but no go.

4. MissNathalieVintage

MissNathalieVintage Practically Family

I agree soap is bad for some of us who have sensetive skin. I use soap free soaps. This is what works for me. Aveeno in the bath and Cetaphils bars of soap to wash my face. My skin is also very dry in the winter, I use burt bees sensetive skin lotion and night cream, and eucerin unscented lotion for dry skin.

5. geekgirl

geekgirl New in Town

I used the Oil Cleansing Method for years & still do when ever I've worn heavy make-up. It really pulls off the make-up & isn't harsh like some removers can be. It takes a while for the skin to adjust to the increased oil if you are using it daily but once it's balanced out your skin looks amazing.

Since moving to a house with a water softener I've been able to stop using anything at all on regular (no make-up) days. I simply wipe my face in the AM & PM with a warm, damp wash cloth & pat dry. I use a fresh one for each wash. I don't have trouble with breakouts so long as I'm good about moisturizing & my skin doesn't turn bright red like with most soaps.

I did notice that one long weekend at my fiance's house & my skin starts to look terrible again though. He doesn't have a water softener like I do & the difference was really noticeable! No amount of lotion fixes the dry patches. I never realized how vital water was to the washing process until staying there for a while.

Chole

6. Stormy

Stormy A-List Customer

I know lemons work wonders for the skin. I use vitamin E to moisturize and restore, especially this time of year. Still trying to get away from soap.