Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Somebody Wasn't Loved Enough

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I like it, actually...

...and a few of us are pretty decent sleuths. ;)

That last picture gives me the creeps.

S

Samsa

It's too bad the fedora is being associated with the "hiptser" culture. To be sure I don't think many of us are wearing fedoras for practical reasons... but all in all I think the average member here has more fashion sense than the average hipster does.

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Gents,

I read this:

"Okay fine, so I've never actually seen anyone on the streets of Silver Lake wearing a top hat. But I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and have concluded that the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland very well might be the proto-hipster. Think about it. Garish color schemes, check. Shaggy unkempt mane, check. Penchant for spewing pretentious gibberish, check. Indie-rock style snug trousers, you betcha. And most importantly, the Mad Hatter had no real job and spent all day every day having tea parties with his friends. Give that man a laptop, stick him at the Intelligentsia Cafe, and he'd be in hog fucking heaven.

And I posted this:

What size Top Hat do you and your gibberish take, Sir?

1890's Represent!

T.

Spellflower

Practically Family
All this time I thought fedoras were worn by nearly every man in the western world for a period of more than fifty years, and here it turns out that the only ones who ever wore them were "chain-smoking, hard-as-nails 1940s gumshoe"! Thank god that guy showed up to educate me before some troubled dame knocks on my office door asks me to investigate her rich husband's murder!

hargist

One of the Regulars
It's interesting that this guy is not showing any comments, because I made one and I'm sure others have too.

This guy's article is just another example of the oh so prevalent post-modern attitude of "I'm smarter than everyone else because I criticize everything."

How boring.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Fedora --> hipster: wtf?

Samsa said:
It's too bad the fedora is being associated with the "hiptser" culture. To be sure I don't think many of us are wearing fedoras for practical reasons... but all in all I think the average member here has more fashion sense than the average hipster does.

Since when is the fedora (supposedly) being associated with hipster culture? Just because Mr. Weiss is churning out an opinion occasionally in a blog doesn't mean he has clue 1 about his subject matter.

Blogs have been such a mixed blessing. Sturgeon’s Law: Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Mark

Spellflower

Practically Family
Here's my comment:

So if only detectives are allowed to wear fedoras, then why is every couch potato allowed to wear a baseball cap? Yes, hipsters are annoying, but what's annoying about them is the ironic way they wear their hats (and everything else they pick up), not the hats themselves. All you've done in this article is point out the ironic, stereotypical references that hipsters are making when they wear their hats. You're basically stating the implied punchline of the hipster's joke, which is just as annoying. I wear a fedora because it's a good looking, functional hat which I feel has a timeless quality, not because I'm trying to impress my ingroup with my ability to ironically reference popular culture. If more people wore hats for these reasons, hipsters would stop wearing them and find some other reference to make. So do your part to stop hipster irony, and put on a hat!

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Ya Gotta Admit...

Cousin It looks pretty dapper in that derby- his hair looks great, too. I may have to consider that style- does he live in the Silver Lake District, too?

Doh!

One Too Many
Actually, Cousin Itt does look rather dapper!

And the portion of his tirade on truckers' hats: I've lived in L.A. since 1989 and haven't noticed people wearing those since... never.

Methinks he doth protest too much.

S

Samsa

Ugarte said:
Since when is the fedora (supposedly) being associated with hipster culture? Just because Mr. Weiss is churning out an opinion occasionally in a blog doesn't mean he has clue 1 about his subject matter.

Agreed. I simply meant it was a shame that the blogger was associating fedoras with hipsters - and thus possibly infecting his readers with that notion.

mineral

One of the Regulars
Hm, so the author thinks we all wear hats to woo the ladies? If my hat is ever helpful for that purpose, I promise I will eat a chunk out of it.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Yeeah, so I can say "private dick" with a straight face.

Okay, no I can't. I just had a flash of Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute as assayed by a young and useful Dan Ackroyd. My but he could strike a series of seductive poses, could he not!

Anyway, who cares what Jeff Weiss thinks about anything. The internet has given too much power to communicate to too many people with nothing to say.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I read the comments at the bottom of the article, I knew they were made by members of this forum! Mr Tattersall and Spellflower, I'm proud of your intelligent ripostes to the hot air being blown around in the article. :eusa_clap

Imagine being paid to spout off your personal, uninformed opinions to the world at large!

Doh!

One Too Many
I'm glad he's at least letting comments be posted, even though so far it's 3 - 0, opposed. It's refreshing to read complete sentences instead of the usual, "your stupid. What U have agianst teh hat waring community anyway. LOL"

Keep fighting the good fight, Loungers!

M Tatterscratch

A-List Customer
Benny Holiday said:
When I read the comments at the bottom of the article, I knew they were made by members of this forum! Mr Tattersall and Spellflower, I'm proud of your intelligent ripostes to the hot air being blown around in the article. :eusa_clap

Imagine being paid to spout off your personal, uninformed opinions to the world at large!

Thank you, old chap! (And please tell me that's your sled in your avatar!)

By the way, it's Tatter-scratch, although Tattersall is darned amusing :rolleyes: - With a name like that I could go into the horseflesh business!

At least you didn't call me "Mr. 'Tater Patch" or summink...

And I AM paid to spout off my personal, uninformed opinions - I'm in advertising! :D

T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points