Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something Different...

DocRedfield

One of the Regulars
Hey gang - I'd like to ask you to show off the things in your life - especially creative - that have come about or are otherwise linked to your love of mid-century time periods and lifestyles.

I'd like you all to see WARBIRDS OF MARS
http://www.warbirdsofmars.com
a neo-pulp webcomic (free, though accepting donations or patrons of our swag) set in 1948. But it all starts in 1944 when WWII gets a hasty edit... Its a mix of The Shadow, Rocketeer, pulps, noir films, too many trips to air shows, and a love of pin-up art (just go see for yourselves).

Thanks, and I look forward to your posts!

Edward

Bartender
Superb stuff! Any chance of you getting this into print? I'd love to have this in hardcopy. I think I might be in love with Josie.

MojoStick

New in Town
Just finished building this thing a week ago. It's a one-string diddley bow made out of an old broomstick and a cigar box and a couple of rusty antique skeleton keys.

diddleybow2.jpg

diddleybow3.jpg

tuner3.jpg

DocRedfield

One of the Regulars
WoM

Edward said:
Superb stuff! Any chance of you getting this into print? I'd love to have this in hardcopy. I think I might be in love with Josie.

Yeah - I'm sure I'll have enough done before the next Phoenix Comic-con (May) and I'll want to collect/print it in time for that. Keep watching; I'll have it for sale through the WoM site. Thanks for the interest!

DocRedfield

One of the Regulars
WARBIRDS of MARS: Stories of the Fight!

Resurrecting this thread with an announcement:

You CAN now buy the neo-pulp/scifi Warbirds of Mars Comic Strips in print form at http://www.warbirdsofmars.com
along with...

WARBIRDS OF MARS: STORIES OF THE FIGHT! Based on our webcomic project, the story tells of a world where WWII never ended because Earth was invaded by Martians. A year and a half of hard work has yielded and incredible anthology of prose short stories and full page illustrations by a host of incredibly talented folks. Available now in Print for 18.99 and on Kindle and Nook for 5.99. Other e-formats to follow soon.

http://www.amazon.com/Warbirds-Mars-Scott-P-Vaughn/dp/0984954813/ref=tmm_pap_title_0
It's 1948 and WWII never ended! Instead, Earth was invaded by creatures from the stars! One small group of resistance fighters has banded together to hold the line...at all costs!
Scott P. Vaughn's vision of a world ruled by three-eyed invaders from the popular webcomic comes to life in this anthology, with fourteen tales of intrigue, horror, and desperate action. The stories run the gamut from the air war, to the horseback of the wild west and the nocturnal alleys of battle-torn 1940s urban America. Brought to you by some of the best names in the horror, action & adventure, supernatural thriller, and comics genres. Relive the glory of the Pulp era with these stories of the fight.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Challenge Accepted. Pardon the tool talk at the bottom, I originally posted this on a web forum for "Old Woodworking Machinery" hence OWWM.

So here is the situation. Our living room has been progressively becoming more Mid-Century with Heywood-Wakefield pieces. Currently a couch, two arm chairs and a surfboard end table in Ash Craft. Another end table in the boomerang Champaign. Not long ago I found a sideboard/buffet and a china hutch (upper cabinet) in Wheat. The China Hutch didn't match the buffet, it was a couple of feet narrower, so we set it by the front door as a place to deposit mail, keys etc. The buffet became our TV stand when I bought one of those stupidly large flat screen TV's. We put all our video cassettes, DVD's and CD's into the buffet and the TV on top. But there was no place for the DVD/VCR it sat here:

080711193706.jpg

As you can see a substantial piece of real estate was being occupied by one electronic device. The solution? A piece Heywood-Wakefield never dreamed of building. A TV riser to on top of one of their buffets:

dscn3805.jpg

dscn3808.jpg

dscn3807.jpg

A few pics from the build process:

080511140526.jpg

080511145127.jpg

080511145605.jpg

OWWM used were a DeWalt 925 Powershop RAS, Craftsman 113. Shaper, Craftsman 103.0404 Scroll Saw. It was my first time using a shaper. Pretty exciting stuff. The scroll saw was used literally for a few seconds to round the top corners of the rear piece of 1/4 plywood. The only modern tool used was my battery drill gun to run the screws and put three holes in the back panel to route cords. Real Heywood-Wakefield is made from solid Birch pieces. As this was my first furniture project and I was building it more as a proof of concept then anything else I opted for some scrap birch plywood I had available. The sides are cheaper plywood of unknown composition. The finish is just an eggshell base acrylic computer matched to an original Heywood-Wakefield piece. I painted it on somewhat thin so the wood grain shows through slightly a lot like original pieces and followed with some spray acrylic clear coat. A LOT cheaper then $45.00 a quart to use a replica of the original finish. Although it's not an exact match to what was originally done for the price it's a nice compromise and achieves the same general appearance.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ