Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Source for mid 1800's style men's hat ribbons?

huckleberry

New in Town
This is my second post...I posted almost the same question yesterday in a cowboy hat thread...but perhaps it may be better suited to be posted here on its own. I wish to add a custom ribbon/bow to (2) hats that I'm making up... both sort of the Clint Eastwood "Outlaw Josey Wales" look.

I'd like to do either a 1" or 1.5" wide solid color satin band/grosgrain ribbon on them. I'm very new to all this vintage stuff, so if I'm off a little on the terminology....please forgive me...I'm anxious to learn.

Anyway, I thought of buying length of grosgrain and then tie them into what I read to be called an 1898 bow... however the bow I'm thinking to be more period correct is maybe some like the Homburg style bow. Again I could be wrong on my terminology.

All I can find are pre-made hat ribbons made for Panama hats (on ebay) but I don't believe this is the right approach at all. I'm trying for something 1850's-1860's in appearance. I already reshaped both hats with a kettle/steam and added a touch of "trail dirt" to artificially make the hats look old and weathered. I'll finish them off by draping Army hat cords on them. They are really starting to look sweet...I just need to finish them off the right way so there will be no later regrets.

I tried to research tying bows but somewhere between double loop bows with tails and such I became sort of confused. I read about some of you guys using elastic grosgrain etc...I just don't know where to start....maybe even some member here make these up.

One thing for sure...all the stuff you can find and buy online ...and hat bands are not one of them. Thank goodness for me finding the Fedora Lounge. So much useful information be be learned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn