Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"South Pacific" decor theme?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Okay, we're finishing up the remodeling of our 1958 ranch house. The living area has been a sticking point for us, and I think I've finally figured out exactly what I want to do - but I'm having some trouble getting the husband on board. The rest of our house is done in 40s and 50s style, but not really any particular theme. We're working on framing several WWII posters and ads to decorate the house.

The room is very large and open, and bright. Right now the walls are a mocha color but I'm planning on repainting anyway. The floors will be a light wood. On one wall is a huge glass door that opens onto our patio, which is done in kind of a Caribbean setting with lots of terra cotta and black wrought iron furniture. For the living room, I'd like to do kind of a South Pacific theme, extending the patio indoors, to make it into sort of an enclosed porch feel, but still a living room. Confused yet? lol Our couches need to be replaced anyway, so I was considering going with something along these lines where the couch and chairs would be:

http://www.backyardcity.com/images/TOR/Metal-Chair-Blue.jpg

Incorporating our existing 50s teak occasional and coffee tables, adding throw pillows in a tropical print fabric, and maybe a large sisal or jute area rug. Vintage travel posters on the walls, and maybe a palm or two in the corner if it isn't too much. The other advantage is that the furniture would be cat-proof, which is something we need to consider.

What do yall think?

Has anyone else done anything like this? I cannot find any photos online to show him. Quite a while back I had pulled out a magazine article about a woman who had redone her living room like this using outdoor furniture, and it looked great, but of course now I can't find it!

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've seen similar ideas in houses before, but rather than use metal or plastic furniture, they've had lounge suites like this:

canelounge.jpg

While personally I'd prefer this sort of cane sofa and chairs for an outdoorsy 'South Pacific' living area (especially if the upholstery was done in a more tropical/Hawaiian barkcloth), the problem for you is that it's not cat proof!

The whole idea sounds like it really suits the room, though.

Husbands - why do we have to be so problematic? lol

BegintheBeguine

I love it!

I purchased a single chair, similar to the one Benny Holiday shows, from the Salvation Army Thrift Store, and my young husband HATED it. :D :D Still have the chair. ;) I love the idea of the palm tree. How about one of the palm tree floor lamps still around for sale,new? I want an Oriental room AND a tropical room!

Benny Holiday

You've still got the chair, but what about the husband? lol

An Oriental room - that sounds so cool! If I wasn't so Art Deco crazy, that would've been a fine chocie to include when I was recently renovating my pad.

BegintheBeguine

Hubby misbehaved. Badly. :kick: He's in Iraq now rather than jail. We're still friends. I got the idea for the Oriental room after a Sherlock Holmes story and I think La Bas, or some other such-type book I read when I was a teen. Any pix of your Art Deco pad in the Lounge?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab

Benny Holiday

FWGal, I really like that second picture. The design of the chair, the large wall lamps, the mirror, and the plants all add up to a great look.

BegintheBeguine, that's what I get for being facetious! :eusa_doh: I hadn't actually considered that my jest might reference reality, I apologise for my poor taste in humour (pity my friends who suffer it weekly).

There's a shop on Braodway, going into Sydney, that features imported Chinese furniture, and it's all very antique-looking and exotic. I could imagine how good a room would look done in such a theme.

No pics of my pad in the Lounge yet, but my wife and I just purchased our first digital camera, so there will be soon. The kitchen is a real treat - art deco table and chairs, white cupboards with deco handles and chrome appliances, and the piece de resistance, 'kite' shaped art deco tiles running around the middle of the splashback panels. It's all coming together nicely, so there'll be pics soon!

BegintheBeguine

Is 'interior decorating' even a phrase used anymore?

;) I love those pix! Benny, don't apologize my brother, my tale of woe is no secret. lol I think I started the joke, such as it is.

The outdoor metal chairs are actually quite comfortable as you may already know, Fortworthgal, if you can get the cat out of it to sit in. :)
I can rarely find pictures online,:( I have to get out my collection of old interior decorating books purchased at library book sales for ideas.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Well, I'm picking up my 50s double glider tomorrow for a start. It is in great shape, just needs a repaint! I'm thinking of going dark green - which will work with my palms theme, or if not, on the back patio.

Twitch

Fortworthgal- check out some of the home improvement stores and look for murals. They make many scenes as wallpaper-able murals. They come in 8' X 14' size and are applied as wallpaper in 8 sections. Easy to do too. Easier than wallpaper.

I have one of a Japanese garden in a corner of a mint green room with light green carpet. I'd wager they have a Carribean theme out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24