Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sparklet soda siphon

travellak1

New in Town
I have been really interested in sparklet soda siphons for a while. These guys have some of the seals available for purchase. The problem with the early sparklet units is that there is a crimped on cap that holds the valve guts into the head. You can cut the cap off and replace the parts, but you have to crimp something on to replace it when you are done.

They do not sell the internal parts for the valve and expect you to send yours to them so that they can restore it for you. I really want to do it, but its 500 euro. I think sparklet is by far the best brand of soda siphon and they are gorgeous to look at but I wish it was cheaper. I cannot find any other option to repair these things. I would try to source the internal seals or make my own if there was some way to close it back up without a special cap crimping press.

https://www.siphonmanufaktur.de/en/die-soda-siphons/

⇧ That is a lot of money for that. Clearly, this company has found a niche and charges for it - that's fair, obviously, enough people pay or they wouldn't stay in business, but that doesn't make it cheap.

If it helps, I've found that some vintage things, like old Big Ben clocks, for example, are more expensive to repair than to purchase. There are tons of Big Ben clocks from the '20s - '50s that you can buy for $50 or so bucks, that look nice, but it will cost you +/- $150 to get them in working order.

Another example is popular-in-their-day wristwatches from the '20 - '60s. You can find some great looking ones for sub '$100, but it will cost closer to $200 to get them in working order.

Just wanted to give you some perspective on other vintage items that, like the siphon, cost more to repair / restore than to purchase.

The best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112