Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Speaking of hair, hotroller recommendations?

Barbara

One of the Regulars
I've got a small toddler, not much time to fiddle around, so some days my hair barely gets brushed. I'm wondering if I should invest in some hotrollers, not least because I hate sitting in sponge rollers all day long when we do go out for that rare event, or if I just want to look decent.

I've heard great things about Caruso rollers? Anyone tried them? My hair is fine and pretty straight, so it takes some serious curl. Would the curl stay as long as it would if you used sponge rollers?

Thanks ladies

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The Caruso steam rollers are excellent -- I have a set that I use when I didn't have a chance to do a pincurl set the night before, or if I need to pep up curls that have gone limp from the humidity. I can generally count on a Caruso set lasting at least thru a day -- and in dry weather, sometimes even two days.

I find they work better in the winter than in the summer, for what it's worth, but I think that's more a function of local climate than anything else. In general, I think the Caruso system is a very good one. (Plus the steamer makes an excellent inhaler for when you've got a cold!)

decodoll

Practically Family
I used Caruso steam rollers for quite awhile, and as far as hot rollers go, they work well. I've switched to Hot Sticks now, and they are faster, easier and cheaper. However, the Hot Sticks didn't work as well as the Caruso when my hair was longer. I don't think any hot roller set is going to stay in as well as sleeping on rollers, unfortunately... at least not on my hair. :rolleyes:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
For me, Hot Sticks worked better than the Caruso steam rollers. I could never get a long lasting, tight curl with the latter (though my aunt loves them and her hair looks great.)

I like Hot Sticks because they are very small and hot, and they create a very tight curl that, when brushed out, mimics a cold pin curl or roller set very well.

Barbara

One of the Regulars
How do the hot sticks work? How are they held in place? My hair is above the shoulders. And what do you use to set them (lotion, hairspray?) Thanks!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Hot sticks are rubber sticks that you roll the hair around; to hold them in place, you simply tuck one end into the rubber loop at the other end (no pins or clips needed.)

p14635b.jpg

I comb setting lotion through my hair and then spray with hairspray while it is cooling on the rollers.

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Thanks, I usually try to get something close to a 30s look if I can. It sounds like the hot sticks might be worth a try. I need something I can put in fast and use fast.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use Profile spa rollers. I'm pretty happy with them, but have heard great things about the Carusoe rollers. Hot sticks work great too, I just have an easier time using the bigger rollers.
This is a great thread, I was planning on looking into buying a set that would work better for me. Like I said, I like the Profiles, but my hair is fine and poker straight, and does not hold a curl unless I load up with setting lotion. In the end this makes me feel like I have a helmet on my head. I was looking for something like the curusoe because I hear the curls they create are long lasting. I really should use the hot sticks more, they really make a nice curl and hold it for a while. I just have to remember to bring a travel size of hairspray with me for an evening out. It's funny, I can't get a curl to stay in when I want it to. But, an evening out in the rain, and I get a head full of pretty natural curl which I'm never able to re-create at home. I've even tried to fill the bathroom up with steam and sit in it for about 20 minutes in hopes that my hair will naturally curl! Oh the legths we go to!

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Yes, sometimes I actually get curl if I'm sweating or it's raining. I've never been able to re-create it either. My big issue is time, as in I don't have time for pincurls (not that I can even do them), and barely do anything with my hair unless we're going out. My husband is blessed with wonderful natural waves, and he doesn't appreciate them at all, but I can never really get my hair in a nice set on a whim...

I'd like to look nice more than on the odd occasion. I think I will try the hot sticks. They seem small enough to keep out of my toddler's reach (she always insists on a few sponge rollers in her hair), and I can also set my hair before I go to work sometimes.

Great advice, thanks ladies...

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
I second your comments Daisy Buchananon about this being a great thread.

I've used Caruso curlers and find that they keep, but I have a horrible tendency to brush my curls and I know shouldn't. Very naughty of me!

I think thos hotsticks sound dandy tho' and I might have to look into getting a set. Hmmm....

But I think I might be missing the setting lotion step, which sounds instrumental in keeping those locks in place.

Daisy Buchanan

I was looking at the hotsicks on line, in the hopes to get some. I see that they come in different sizes, like hot rollers. Can anyone recommend the right size to get to acheive a pin curl look. I don't want to end up with those spiral curls that were so popular in the late 80's.

Daisy Buchanan

Sorry to ask another question. In my search for new hot sticks, I've come across many different brands. Can any of you ladies recommend a brand that they like the best. I've seen Conair, Sassoon, Sunbeam. Any suggestions?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I've only used Conair (though I bought a set by BaByliss that is exactly the same as the Conair sets.) They come in two sizes--purple (large) and pink (small). The large is of course, smaller then your average hot roller. You do not end up with 80s curls if you brush them out. When I first remove the curls from my hair (same with pin curls, rag curlers, and sponge rollers), I have Shirley Tempe locks. A quick brush though and 1940s glamour waves emerge.

Daisy Buchanan

jitterbugdoll said:
I've only used Conair (though I bought a set by BaByliss that is exactly the same as the Conair sets.) They come in two sizes--purple (large) and pink (small). The large is of course, smaller then your average hot roller. You do not end up with 80s curls if you brush them out. When I first remove the curls from my hair (same with pin curls, rag curlers, and sponge rollers), I have Shirley Tempe locks. A quick brush though and 1940s glamour waves emerge.
Thank you Jitterbugdoll. I saw both of those brands on-line, and wasn't sure which one to get. I did find a great travel roller kit that looks like it will come in handy when I go to Italy.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I just picked up a travel set at Goodwill the other day. I've always travelled with a full-size set before, but I think the smaller size of the travel set will free up my luggage for more vintage clothing to take home ;)

Daisy Buchanan

Yeah, that was the idea I had too.

I ended up buying the Conair Ionic hot sticks, and also a set of Carusoe steam rollers. I couldn't decide which would be better, so I opted for both. I have gone through too many roller sets in the past year, hopefully one or both of these systems will work better for me. I just don't have the patients to sit at night and try to do a full set of actual pin curls.

decodoll

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Sorry to ask another question. In my search for new hot sticks, I've come across many different brands. Can any of you ladies recommend a brand that they like the best. I've seen Conair, Sassoon, Sunbeam. Any suggestions?

I have a Conair travel set that came with all small (pink) rollers, then got the larger Babyliss set which listed the rollers as large (purple) and medium (blue), but the Babyliss medium rollers are the same size as the Conair small rollers. I don't do the setting lotion step, but perhaps I should try it on windy days. :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The BaByliss set I have is the same size as the Conair version, just in different colors. My set came with all large rollers and one small roller [huh], so I just switched out some of the small rollers from my backup set.

decodoll

Practically Family
Yeah, the rollers you get with the different sets don't seem to be consistant at all. My travel set is the only one I saw on ebay at the time with all small, so I snapped it up. My BaByliss set came with 14 medium blue(same as conair pink smalls) and 7 large purple. Who knows...someone's having fun putting them together randomly at the hair curler plant. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto