Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I actually found a place in my local town that sells lovely gents and ladies spectators in various colourways, good quality too, they are also online apparently, Crispins of Rye, the shop is called and i have been trawling the internet unsuccessfully for ages DOH!

Mav

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
I dig these spec loafers over at BB. The price is right but they're out of my size. :(
I think spectators look good. On others. This is an excellent alternative, as I'm a fairly serious penny loafer wearer. Unfortunately, they're out of my size, as well. The brown and whites are great.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
McClain bourbon and bone specs

I have those, and a pair of Broadstreet in black and white. A few years back I wanted a pair of white nubuck wingtips, but AE didn't list them in the catalogue. My retailer, Sherman Brothers, got in touch with AE and they agreed to make a pair of McClain in white nubuck for a $100 premium.

They may not be prepared to do the bourbon and bone McClain (I don't see any McClain on their site), but they may be agreeable to doing the deed with the Cambridge model, which is very similar.

Of course, you'd have to be prepared to drop $425 for the favor.

Another approach may be via Indy Magnoli. I bought a pair of specs from him earlier this year. He may well be willing to offer bourbon and bone specs.

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
Recently purchased from www.herringshoes.co.uk

Tanwhitespectators.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
KILO NOVEMBER said:
They may not be prepared to do the bourbon and bone McClain (I don't see any McClain on their site), but they may be agreeable to doing the deed with the Cambridge model, which is very similar.
IIRC, AE will pull out discontinued models for MTO (made to order).

Mr Vim

One Too Many
These are not mine...

I just saw these today in a shoe store, and I looked them up on amazon to get some pictures... is this anything but a modern take on a classic shoe? Or has this sort of thing popped up before? I'm curious,

well here it is.

Screenshot2010-09-15at61804PM.png

close up.
Screenshot2010-09-15at61814PM.png

Mr Vim

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
How much do they a$k for these? I'm curious. :)

So this style of shoe is not new? There have been weave leather shoes before? I mean it makes sense but I was surprised when I saw them.

Amazon has them going for 120.00, not exactly cheap.

cptjeff

Practically Family
Mr Vim said:
So this style of shoe is not new? There have been weave leather shoes before? I mean it makes sense but I was surprised when I saw them.

Amazon has them going for 120.00, not exactly cheap.

In the realm of leather shoes, there is absolutely nothing that hasn't been made at some point in time. Keep in mind that until the last century, there was one way to make leather shoes, and that's how we make high end men's shoes today. Wood lasts. Leather. Thread (which has evolved to be a very precise science over the years in terms of number of fibers, what type, wax, ect).

So yeah, pretty much everything has been seen.

Oh, and 120 is dirt cheap for nice men's shoes. "Good" usually starts around $300 (think Allen Edmonds), which is why vintage shoes are so dang awesome. Traditional men's shoes require pricier materials and a good bit of labor. Those at least look welted (though certainly gemmed, which is a whole different topic), so they can be resoled, which is a big plus, but they also look to be made of corrected grain leather- which is usually poor quality leather that's been coated with a plastic spray to hide the defects, which gives it that artificial shine.

In terms of prices, those NOS shell longwings have the same leather and about the same build quality as these. For example. Those black wholecuts would probably run at least a thousand today.

Gives you a whole new appreciation for finding these things for $5, doesn't it?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If you want a solid pair of quality shoes on the cheap, PM Gene and Cookie and give them your size.....;)

cptjeff

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
If you want a solid pair of quality shoes on the cheap, PM Gene and Cookie and give them your size.....;)

No kidding. The best shoes I own were courtesy of Gene. And as you can see in this thread, he has a few pairs lying around.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
I think I might have to do just that. They've both posted some most droolworthy shoes in this thread. And pickin's seem slim in my neck of the woods

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner