Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spongy Haptic on a Leather Jacket means what?

58panheadfan

One Too Many
It's a matte black by design and I thought it was dry at first. If the sleeve alteration is relatively cheap I'll go for it if not I'll leave it alone. Maybe I'll try hot water treatment on the elbow/forearm lol that's pretty affordable

I don’t think the HWT will shorten the sleeve length, maybe a few mm, if any. The best way would be to shorten the sleeves. By the way, cool lightweight jacket in vintage optic…

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
That's excatly how the leather on the PB Glendale feel... beside it has a top coat :)

Now that I slept on it, i remember now that this is similar to the naked cowhide that I was handling at Johnson Leather a while back.

I was unsure at first because of its hand feel as it felt too delicate but it grew on me after I wore it and noticed how comfy it is to wear and how good the drape is.

I don’t think the HWT will shorten the sleeve length, maybe a few mm, if any. The best way would be to shorten the sleeves. By the way, cool lightweight jacket in vintage optic…

That's what I figured lol it's not cotton that would shrink an inch with hot water. Thank you.

Pandemic

One Too Many
Wow. Sure looks like a BK Wingman in a different leather. But $570 plus shipping?

EDIT: $450 plus shipping with the 20% first time customer discount.

Oh damn, I said I didn't need another brown jacket

Last edited:

willyto

One Too Many
Now that I slept on it, i remember now that this is similar to the naked cowhide that I was handling at Johnson Leather a while back.

I was unsure at first because of its hand feel as it felt too delicate but it grew on me after I wore it and noticed how comfy it is to wear and how good the drape is.

That's what I figured lol it's not cotton that would shrink an inch with hot water. Thank you.
You soak your arms in water and pull back the sleeves like you would do with a long sleeve tee or a shirt and let those sleeves crease and dry creased.

You'll notice how they shorten a bit but it's not a permanent thing. As soon as the leather drapes they will keep the creases but the leather will be the same lenght.

What causes the sleeves to shorten a bit is the elbow stretching, has happened to me before.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The spongy feel could be the breed/diet/sex/health of the animal, and tanning process as well as coating. Eastman’s older horsehide gets very spongy after broken in, but at first it was plasticky and stiff. But other hide like CXl never seem to get spongy, many after fifty years. Not an indication of strength so you shouldn’t have to worry.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I was talking with a friend of mine about this and he said that there is a good chance that the spongey feeling could mean that the leather was tumbled in a large drum aka dry milled.

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Pike Brothers Glendale 40's Sports Jacket today

First I had to get used to the haptic of the leather (spongy feeling) and have now worn the jacket for a few weeks. Now, I have to say, I have come to love it very much. It fits perfectly. My initial doubts about the leather are gone. I recently had the Varenne from Shangri-La Leather in my hands and can say that the PB feels the same :)

Pike Brothers Glendale_1.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran