Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spooky Stuff...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Halloween's just around the corner, so why not share a few thoughts on your favorite scary radio moments?

There's a couple of thriller-type episodes that really stand out of me. The first is "The Hitch-Hiker," a "Suspense" program first heard in 1942, with Orson Welles as a man on a cross-country drive being driven insane by a mysterious apparation that keeps popping up at the side of the road. Now, to be honest, I have very mixed feelings about Welles -- I think in a lot of his radio work he tends to over-emote, acting as if every role he plays is King Lear. He rarely disappears into a character to the point where you forget it's *Orson Welles, AC-TOR* playing the part. But in this story he's quite restrained and quite convincing as an ordinary man in extraordinary circumstances.

My second favorite is a very creepy 1947 episode of "Escape," entitled "Evening Primrose." An adaptation of a John Collier short story, it revolves around a disaffected poet who decides to drop out of an oppressive society by moving into a department store -- sleeping in a hidden lair during the day and roaming the store at night to find inspiration for his writing. Unfortunately for him, there are others in the store who beat him to the idea. I really like the moody atmosphere in this one -- maybe because one of my "someday they'll all be sorry" embittered childhood fantasies was to do exactly what the fellow in the story does...

I heard both these programs in reruns over a Boston radio station back in the mid-70s, when I was just discovering radio drama -- and they've stuck with me ever since.

How about some others? What are your favorite spine-tinglers -- and *why* are they your favorites?

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Poignant

The Hitch-hiker is in my collection. It is spooky and he does a great job (Ihave a crush on Orson Welles, thin or fat) and you are right, doesn't awct. It is a kind of sad story. Evening Primrose, I had forgotten the title but not the plot of that nifty one! Thanks for reminding me. I'll be back when I remember some other favorites. Pleasant dreams.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Scare

Just listening to the news-and realizing this is not fiction-can
be far more alarming than any radio drama. Imagine recent homicide
reports dramatized in radio-program format, I doubt whether such would
even be allowed to air. War of the Worlds is tame by comparison.
A sad comment on today.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
tales well calculated to keep you in... SUSPENSE

At one point my drive to work was about fifteen minutes one way. Some time ago I put in a tape I had of "Suspense". I listened to Robert Taylor in "The House on Cypress Canyon" on the way to work on the way back I was listening to the last half. As I pulled into the car park at the apartments the show was still playing. I sat there in rapt attention, my hackles raising. Man, that was spooky.
The other side of the tape I think had "Fugue in C Minor" with Vincent Price.

There were many creepy radio shows in the golden age. Aside from Suspence I liked "Lights Out", "The Whistler" and others.

Sincerely,
TheWOLF

CharlieH.

One Too Many
The scariest thing I've ever heard on radio was the most quitessential Halloween broadcast - The War Of The Worlds. When I first heard it some years ago, one of the most frightening notions on my head was flying saucers and the sight of those gray midgets with gigantic heads. You can imagine my shock when I heard the first tripod leaving the spacecraft. That still gives me the creeps.

Kent Allard

New in Town
CharlieH. said:
The scariest thing I've ever heard on radio was the most quitessential Halloween broadcast - The War Of The Worlds.

One of the stops on my vacation last year was in Grover's Mill, NJ. There's a park with a plaque dedicated to "The War of the Worlds". Sitting in that park at twilight and listening to a recording of the original broadcast was my favorite moment of frisson.

Sunny

One Too Many
Suspense/horror is NOT a genre that I usually enjoy, but there are a few that I've heard and that've stuck with me.

LizzieMaine said:
My second favorite is a very creepy 1947 episode of "Escape," entitled "Evening Primrose." An adaptation of a John Collier short story, it revolves around a disaffected poet who decides to drop out of an oppressive society by moving into a department store -- sleeping in a hidden lair during the day and roaming the store at night to find inspiration for his writing. Unfortunately for him, there are others in the store who beat him to the idea. I really like the moody atmosphere in this one -- maybe because one of my "someday they'll all be sorry" embittered childhood fantasies was to do exactly what the fellow in the story does...
Ahh! :eek: I listened to a whole bunch of "Escape" earlier this summer. (I'm like a bad girl with a box of chocolates - I listen to episode after episode after episode.) But "Evening Primrose" literally gave me the trembles. That just doesn't happen to me! I had to go wander around the house to shake it off. That actor was Jeff Chandler, too, so I had a pre-conceived affinity for the character. Chandler's remarkably versatile, both as shy Mr. Boynton in "Our Miss Brooks" and tough private eye "Michael Shayne." As Michael Shayne he played opposite an uncredited Jack Webb. Anyone who can swap jabs with Jack Webb has my respect. And then to turn around and play a bashful biologist, and then the "Evening Primrose" poet... !

Another one that really gave me the willies was "Three Skeleton Key," the "Escape" version with Vincent Price. (1953, I want to say.) It's about an isolated lighthouse on a South America island. The three lighthouse-keepers are trapped by thousands of voracious rats, come off a derelict that ran onto the rocks. This one totally threw me! I usually sew or do something with my hands when I'm listening to a new show. But I couldn't concentrate on anything else during "Three Skeleton Key." Yikes! :eek:

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Lights Out......Everybody.....

A special episode of Lights Out, celebrating their 4 year anniversary, which continued the week after with others, all featuring none other than Boris Karoff. The first episode....."The Dream"

The Dream is A VERY FRIGHTNING SHOW, at least it was for me, but interesting as well. At night, and as the program goes..."Lights out, everybody", and you have a spooky evening.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Not really a favourite but....

When I was a wee one, I was fiddling with the dial on the AM late at night and I tuned into this show where people sent stories of their paranormal experiences. I vividly recall one of a woman who had lost her dog, and soon started to see holes digging themselves on her backyard and wet dog tracks appearing on a freshly mopped floor. Doesn't sound that spooky now, but back then it gave me a good nightmare or two!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
CharlieH. said:
When I was a wee one, I was fiddling with the dial on the AM late at night and I tuned into this show where people sent stories of their paranormal experiences. I vividly recall one of a woman who had lost her dog, and soon started to see holes digging themselves on her backyard and wet dog tracks appearing on a freshly mopped floor. Doesn't sound that spooky now, but back then it gave me a good nightmare or two!

Was that a modern day show? And if so, was it Coast to Coast AM? I used to listen to that show every now and then; especially on Halloween. People send in their ghost stories and experiences; kinda neat stuff.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
ScionPI2005 said:
Was that a modern day show? And if so, was it Coast to Coast AM? I used to listen to that show every now and then; especially on Halloween. People send in their ghost stories and experiences; kinda neat stuff.

Yes, it was a modern show, but I can't remember which. This was many years ago.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone think the hissing and distortion of a radio show can add to it's spookiness? What's a show that is along the lines of that?

Has anyone listened to a show while going to bed and dreamt about it while it was still playing?

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
This is a really old thread that I just found. A couple of months ago there was an episode called The Hitchhiker on The Twilight Zone that must have been inspired by Orson Welle's Hitchhiker episode. I remember seeing the original Twilight Zone episode as a kid and it scared the heck out of me - almost as much as the episode on Dark Shadows where the Jeremy character reached his hand up out of the grave. I had so much trouble sleeping after the DS episode that I was forbidden from ever watching it again. Then in 1976 there was a similar scene in the movie Carrie where she reaches up out of the grave. Even though I was 15, I still had trouble sleeping. I don't know what it is about dead people reaching up out of their graves, but it does bother me for some reason. :eeek:

Last edited:

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I'm kind'a disappointed that this thread isn't for sharing spooky stuff that happened to us directly, or that we've heard about first hand. That would be a good thread.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
The scariest thing I've ever heard on radio was the most quitessential Halloween broadcast - The War Of The Worlds. When I first heard it some years ago, one of the most frightening notions on my head was flying saucers and the sight of those gray midgets with gigantic heads. You can imagine my shock when I heard the first tripod leaving the spacecraft. That still gives me the creeps.

This was on the BBC last Saturday. 'The Martian Wars 1913-1917'. Where they took War of the Worlds and combined it with WWI. Where they invaded Germany first and then everyone else came to their aid. They had 'historians, and soldiers' interviewed, letters, it was just like a documentary. They did a really great job.

Mike

Denton

One of the Regulars
I thought there must be an old thread on this topic. I recently had some trouble with rats in my yard, and I remembered the story "Three Skeleton Key" from "Escape." I knew that listening to the story would be a terrible idea but I kept thinking about it and finally couldn't help myself. Predictably it freaked me out. The cliché that horror stories on the radio are much scarier than any movie is basically true.

"Evening Primrose," mentioned by Lizzie at the start of this thread, is also brilliant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21