Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spring jacket time!

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am hoping I am seeing the last of winter. It's still -15 Celsius as a high today but next week it's going to be on the plus side of things. I have lost some weight and am thinking of a new spring jacket. Possibly retiring my London Fog bomber style and getting something new. Anybody else breaking out their spring jackets? What are they, show some pictures?
Johnny

Hal

Practically Family
no spring jacket here yet i have 18 inches of snow on its way ouch
You can't be living in Haverhill, Suffolk (England)! About 5 days ago Britain had a sudden temperature rise - whether that is temporary we can't know - but we seem to have sprung into spring. Until mid-February we had a brighter, drier and rather colder winter than the awful washout of 2015-6, which had scarcely a frost but lots of flooding; but that has now gone. As someone who prefers the clothes of winter, I'd be happy if ours lasted longer.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've always wondered about Kojax's location, never seemed to jibe with his posts... It's been a long wet and dreary winter up here, the loss of light is harder than the drop in temperature, tbh. The lighter leathers are now all pulled out of storage, checked and tried on to make sure nothing's gone awry over the past six months, and are now stacked behind the trouser press for wear...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Craig your location has the same problem as the Land of the Midnight Sun, Alaska, with exceptionally long summer days followed by long, dark winter days. Don't know whether winters would be worse in Anchorage or Glasgow? :eek:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I've always wondered about Kojax's location, never seemed to jibe with his posts... It's been a long wet and dreary winter up here, the loss of light is harder than the drop in temperature, tbh.
Quite so, going to and from home to work in the dark does get me down. Do perceptions change with age though. In my teens I thought nothing of donning my parka and riding out on my Vespa, into the teeth of a pitch black, blizzard. George Bernard Shaw was right, youth is definitely wasted on the young.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Speak for yourself, Johnny.

While it was indeed warm enough here early last week to break out my A-2s for a couple of days, it's currently 12 degrees... with more than a foot of snow expected tomorrow!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Low-mid eighties in south LA. 90s in the desert. Followed by nights and mornings of a thick fog blanket. Weird weather.

Edward

Bartender
10-16 Celsius here in London all week. Early Spring. It's the sort of weather I find perfect right now. I enjoy the Winter, but I've been missing my leathers a lot - time now to break them out. Perfection for me would be a Summer that stayed around this temperature until next November.....

Much as I enjoy the dark - I feel more alive during the Autumn after the brutality of Summer this far south, in London - it's also nice to move with the seasons a bit. Friday was the first time I left the office and got home in daylight. That's always a harbinger of Spring for me. If I had to choose, I wish we could stay on one time year round (GMT or BST), though equally I've always wished we could be on the same timezone as the rest of Western Europe.

Reactions: Hal

Marv

A-List Customer
I been wearing a mixture of jacket types over the winter months ranging from the G1, A2, B-10, N-2B, MA-1, N-1 but it just hasn't been cold enough to warrant the use of my Irvin (which hasn't seen the light of day for at least two years now).

So now as the weather seems to be entering the Spring months, I have been wearing my A2 most days with the odd MA-1 thrown in for good measure and all in all, another poor UK winter.

tropicalbob

Actually, this is a good time of year to stock up on heavier jackets. I just picked up a very nice, dark navy corduroy jacket from J Crew (so shoot me) for about $80.00: trim fit with high armholes.

I am hoping I am seeing the last of winter. It's still -15 Celsius as a high today but next week it's going to be on the plus side of things. I have lost some weight and am thinking of a new spring jacket. Possibly retiring my London Fog bomber style and getting something new. Anybody else breaking out their spring jackets? What are they, show some pictures?
Johnny
I was in Edmonton last week during the minus 23 plus the wind. It was so cold even the locals were complaining. I have to return next week but my cabbie assured me that spring will have arrived by then! I think I am bringing fleece anyways!

johnnycanuck

Looks like the weather man has changed his mind. We were going to be in the double didgets later this week. Now it is hovering around 5 Celsius with chance of snow most days. I guess I am stuck in my 3in1 winter jacket for another week at least...... here is a question for those who have had the 3in1 jackets. Has anyone used it for more than a winter jacket? Have you separated the shell and used it as a rain jacket? Used the insulating layer for a cool evening? I think I have been wearing these kind of jackets for over 20 years and I don't think I have done that yet.
Johnny

johnnycanuck

I was in Edmonton last week during the minus 23 plus the wind. It was so cold even the locals were complaining. I have to return next week but my cabbie assured me that spring will have arrived by then! I think I am bringing fleece anyways!
Yes definitely bring your insulation.
Johnny

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Quite so, going to and from home to work in the dark does get me down. Do perceptions change with age though. In my teens I thought nothing of donning my parka and riding out on my Vespa, into the teeth of a pitch black, blizzard. George Bernard Shaw was right, youth is definitely wasted on the young.

You may be right, though heading out on too many stories that ended in me standing for hours trying to shelter from howling gales and razor-sharp sleet, watching the sun and temperature sink, has made me love the softer spring-to-autumn days and value the bulletproof warmth of a shearling jacket.

Hal

Practically Family
Craig your location has the same problem as the Land of the Midnight Sun, Alaska, with exceptionally long summer days followed by long, dark winter days. Don't know whether winters would be worse in Anchorage or Glasgow? :eek:
I agree about the shortness of winter days, but don't know what Anchorage's latitude is. I have worked as a teacher in western Norway - the same latitude as Shetland - where in mid-December we would teach two 45-minute lessons before it got light! Don't we all find lengthening days exhilarating and shortening days the opposite? I'd enjoy summer day-length with winter temperatures.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I've always fancied the idea of a month of pure dark, though I'm not sure I'd do so well with the month of pure daylight.

Looks like the weather man has changed his mind. We were going to be in the double didgets later this week. Now it is hovering around 5 Celsius with chance of snow most days. I guess I am stuck in my 3in1 winter jacket for another week at least...... here is a question for those who have had the 3in1 jackets. Has anyone used it for more than a winter jacket? Have you separated the shell and used it as a rain jacket? Used the insulating layer for a cool evening? I think I have been wearing these kind of jackets for over 20 years and I don't think I have done that yet.
Johnny

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've owend a couple of jackets with a zip-out lining over the years. I guess if I took them travelling in changeable climatic conditions I might appreciate it, but I tend to find it's just ore hassle than they're worth day to day - I leave the liner in there and switch to a different coat as needsbe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ