Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Square toe harness, cowboy, or engineering type boots??

JLStorm

Practically Family
I am in the market for a new pair of boots. I prefer square toe (box toe?) because I have big feet for my height and this makes me look less like Im wearing a pair of skis (plus I just think they look cool).

I have worn a number of companies boots over the years Tony Lama, Nocona, Chippiwa, Red Wing, Frye, Danner, Dan Post, Justin, and probably a few others.

Currently I like Frye boots because they have great support but they are light weight as well. I like something that will develop a great patina with age, or comes distressed. Right now my top favorites are Frye 8R (I have the 12Rs) and the Frye outer zip heath stitch boots:

932668-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

937434-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Although, I am open to other suggestions and other manufacturers. Im also interested in exploring square toe cowboy boots, but I dont see many options.

Got a favorite pair of square toe boots? Let me know and post a photo! Especially of your beat up worn boots :)

kyboots

Practically Family
The Right Boots

You can never go wrong with Frye and I have those harness, but my favorite Frye is the black engineer. It looks good on my size 13's and wears great and is comfortable. The Wesco square toe harness boot is fabulous and some places will have the black ones in stock. If you can wait and since you have an Aero you know what that means, you can order some brown ones in whatever height you need.That might be really what you want in a square toe boot. Wesco is the top in construction and wear and I love my black engineers.They really tone down the size 13's too, and are built for support and comfort. I just wore my Wesco's all over Boston for the past four days and loved them. Of course a good Lucchese ostrich western boot looks sharp and wears well too. You can wear a large size with any of these and not show it, and a good cowboy boot can be worn anywhere! No softer leather than ostrich. The cowboy boot however may not be what you want in a toe, but with the "square toe" look right now you can find some on Ebay. Good luck! Hit me if any questions. John. PS I love your B3 want to sell?

Graemsay

Practically Family
Not a pair of boots, but W.S. Foster do a fantastic semi-distressed look on their bespoke shoes.

2150Cantab-medallion3_8.gif

2060Chavez.gif

I would love a pair, but they're £2350 / $3700 (and upwards).

They do boots as well, but they start at £5000 / $7800!

JLStorm

Practically Family
CopperNY said:
love my Chippewa harness boots in American buffalo hide:

yhst-17665666401044_2124_15314438

I have those boots too. I like them, but they are so much heavier than frye boots and I wasnt impressed with the thickness of the hide. The buffalo scratches and scrapes so easily on my boots and I can see the natural hide color. I still wear them, but I need to have the rubber heals replaced.

JLStorm

Practically Family
CopperNY said:
oh, they are far from perfect, but i've grown attached to them for some reason.

have you tried Wesco's yet? i keep looking at them, seem pretty much bulletproof, but $$$.....

http://www.stompersboots.com/gtwy_harness-031.php

I have never tried wesco. When I was needed over engineered boots that were required for jobs I had held in the past, I thought about them. But found red wings and loved them. Since I no longer need steel toes or boots that will last through extreme duty, Ive started to really enjoy lightweight and flexible boots. Fryes are the first boots Ive had that are nice and light and they feel like wearing something as light as sneakers compared to my chippewa or redwing boots.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
my father actually recommended Frye to me. growing up he was a greaser/gearhead and wore Herman Survivors engineer boots.

he sent me a picture from LIFE magazine that he said was -the- style when he was young:

3279024995_9d0be780f3.jpg

they don't look too heavy duty...

my default engineer boots are oiled black leather Chippewas.

JLStorm

Practically Family
kyboots said:
What's the remark on shark?

I dont wear animals that I dont feel are killed in a sustainable and efficient way and/or that are used in their entirety. Sharks make that list for me.

JLStorm

Practically Family
kyboots said:
The boots look like ostrich? Which is raised and eaten all over the world now. Are they ostrich or Shark?? Fooled me. John

the heel area is shark the rest is ostrich. The ostrich I have no issues with.

frussell

One Too Many
Shark lasts forever

I've got a pair of Paul Bond customs that I've had since I was eighteen, and the uppers have nearly worn out, while the shark foot is just like it was the day I received them. I might feel bad for the sharks if I needed to buy a new pair, but these have lasted almost thirty years, with countless re-soling. Tough as nails. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred