Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Squatter vs. Bushman

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
I thinking of making a western hat with a Montana peak a la campaign hat style. I'm likely going to do it with either a squatter or a bushman. I'm thinking the squatter, because it has a slightly lower crown than the bushman.

Any thoughts?

Gooch.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The only difference in the two is the brim width...

I thinking of making a western hat with a Montana peak a la campaign hat style. I'm likely going to do it with either a squatter or a bushman. I'm thinking the squatter, because it has a slightly lower crown than the bushman.

Any thoughts?

Gooch.

.... so I would use the Bushman. Unless you have a Squatter from an OZ retailer which seems to be made dimension wise DIFFERENT from the DM imported ones.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Any thoughts?

Gooch.

HI Gooch

I think that you'll need a 5.5 inch crown to do a decent Montana peak. 5.75 would be better, I have a six inch crown in a custom hat and it's just a bit big. With the price of importing an Akubra, you might consider a $170.00 plus $18 shipping Jaxonbilt. He doesn't show Montana peaks, but I have one from him. The one in the picture is actually a 50/50 blend for $270.00.

http://www.jaxonbilthats.com

See pix here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?51684-JAXONBILT-Hats/page6

Later

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
What is that difference?

from what I've been told the ones from OZ are not lined, have a dimensional brim, lower crown and are made from a lighter wieght Imperial grade felt. My Dm squatters have a full 3" brim, 5 1/2" crown and are lined and are made from the same weight Imperial grade felt as my Bushman, heavier than the ones from OZ.
DM has a pic of the Bushman with a Montana peak crease on it here:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/popup_image.php?pID=81&tab=images&swatches=1&tab3=1&tab4=1&tab5=1

danofarlington

from what I've been told the ones from OZ are not lined, have a dimensional brim, lower crown and are made from a lighter wieght Imperial grade felt. My Dm squatters have a full 3" brim, 5 1/2" crown and are lined and are made from the same weight Imperial grade felt as my Bushman, heavier than the ones from OZ.
DM has a pic of the Bushman with a Montana peak crease on it here:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/popup_image.php?pID=81&tab=images&swatches=1&tab3=1&tab4=1&tab5=1

Thanks. I may have to get one of each to compare. That Bushman in the photo looked pretty good too.

1961MJS

Hi again

I noticed that the general Montana peak size is a 5.5 inch crown with a 3 inch brim. Um, why not just get a Stratton hat? The dimensions of the one I had was 5.5 inch crown and 3.25 inch brim. They come in a lot of colors including tan. They're about $130 (roughly) and are built in Chicago. Their felt is from Winchester TN, where the boys went in 2010. I had one, and they're nice (the tag fell off at the outlet store (Levine's in StL) and I bought a 7 3/8 Wide Oval instead of just a 7 3/8).

http://www.strattonhats.com/dealers.html

They are thick, stiff felt, but can be worked with.

Later

Last edited:

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
Hi again

I noticed that the general Montana peak size is a 5.5 inch crown with a 3 inch brim. Um, why not just get a Stratton hat? The dimensions of the one I had was 5.5 inch crown and 3.25 inch brim. They come in a lot of colors including tan. They're about $130 (roughly) and are built in Chicago. Their felt is from Winchester TN, where the boys went in 2010. I had one, and they're nice (the tag fell off at the outlet store (Levine's in StL) and I bought a 7 3/8 Wide Oval instead of just a 7 3/8).

http://www.strattonhats.com/dealers.html

They are thick, stiff felt, but can be worked with.

Later

I've definitely been thinking of one of these. The only thing is the grommets, which I'm not a big fan of.

And that way, I could also join the Campaign Hat Corps.

1961MJS

I've definitely been thinking of one of these. The only thing is the grommets, which I'm not a big fan of.

And that way, I could also join the Campaign Hat Corps.
Hi

The worst part about the grommets is that there are a couple of big long grommets for the leather chin strap. If you're looking for "vintage", the plastic (I think) long grommets look too new. I own the Jaxonbilt, and I'm considering a Sun Body Montana peak also.

Later

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Is Bushman crown fuller than Squatters? I am looking at DM.

Bothe of these DM imported hats have a crown of similar proportions and hieght. They both are somewhat 'square" so to speak and don't give as much taper when creased in a center dent/front pinched crease. Here's a head-on of my Bushman:

Bushman1.jpg

and here's one of my squatters:

Squatter1013.jpg

hope this helps :)

frussell

One Too Many
Harry - just a heads up, if you say you're not a fan of grommets, be aware that the David Morgan Squatters have one visible grommet, and one hidden under the ribbon. If I was going to do a Montana Peak, (and I've done many, but usually on a western hat) I'd want a little more crown to work with than my Squatter had. I sold it because it was too low crowned to put in any crease that looked right on me. What about using a Campdraft? Frank

Harry - just a heads up, if you say you're not a fan of grommets, be aware that the David Morgan Squatters have one visible grommet, and one hidden under the ribbon. If I was going to do a Montana Peak, (and I've done many, but usually on a western hat) I'd want a little more crown to work with than my Squatter had. I sold it because it was too low crowned to put in any crease that looked right on me. What about using a Campdraft? Frank

I agree with Frank. The Squatters that I have had & sold were way too low crowned for a Montana crease. A Campdraft has enough crown for one = been there, done that...

frussell

One Too Many
Here's an example of a non-western one worn by the man in my avatar later in his life. More military style, but definitely not a lower crown. You're going to need some crown to work with, or the dents will sit right on your head. I'd still say Campdraft, but you might have trouble with any bound brim if you're looking for the super flat look. Frank.
hkbuniform.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks gtdean, but what confuses me is the 4.12" crown height stated in http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=19

Thats the dimension creased as shown in the Aussie Telescope crease. Seems that is a popular style in Oz. It is sold as an Open Crown hat as gtdean says and is taller that way. The DM Squatters are made with slightly different specs than the ones sold in Oz. All of mine are from DM and have 5 1/4" Open Crowns, liners, made in the same Imperial grade felt as my Bushman ( which has a 5 1/2" open crown ), and has chinstrap hooks attached inside the sweatband and does not have as much taper to the block as I've seen on the ones from Oz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk