Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SS France - SS Norway - SS... Blue Lady???

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The French liner SS France entered service in 1961, so she's not technically a Golden Era liner, but as there are steamship enthusiasts here, I pass along this link, along with a "What the...?"

http://www.ssmaritime.com/newsupdates.htm#_SS_Norway,_ex

It seems the former SS France, which became the cruise ship SS Norway minus two propellers, is now in India awaiting scrapping. What a sad story, and it really illustrates how lucky we are to have the Queen Mary.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

The Norway (originally the France) was the last true oceanliner made until the new QM2. She is one of five passenger ships ever built that was over 1000 feet in length. The other four are the Queen Mary, Queen Elizabeth, Normandie and the QM2. Most people don't realize the QE2 was made as a part time cruiser, part time liner which is why she is only 963 feet long to fit in the panama canal.

At any rate the France/Norway was the last of the old liners. As said above, she is not from the golden era and lacks the rich woods and smell of old money. She is an early sixties ship and has the trappings of that era. It is hard to fathom that they thought this was an improvement over the Normandie. It is my opinion that they would have been much better off building a ship of the likes of her predecessor….but that is my take on the QE2 as well. My wife and I sailed on her in 1989. It was a twelve night cruise of the British isles...with a stop in Amsterdam and France thrown in. We really enjoyed sailing on her. She was one of the few steam ships still in service. Most have gone to diesel. Due to the length of the cruise, it was mostly retired people and their grandchildren. There were only a few couples our age aboard. Never-the-less we enjoyed the company of all ages.

It is voyage I will never forget and I hate to see the old gal in such a bad state. France has been sabre rattling for years about buying her and making her into a hotel in Le Havre. Now is their chance. Let's see if the French will rise to the occasion.....but I doubt it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto