Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Staff changes at Aero Leather

Cooperson

One Too Many
This is probably old news, but just noticed on Aero's Facebook site that Will has parted company and Ken has returned to take up the slack. Good to see old experienced hands at the helm, but a real shame to see Will go. I remember a long telephone conversation we had when I was ordering my first jacket, he answered all my questions and never rushed me along - a genuinely nice guy and I imagine skills that will be very hard to replace.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
This is probably old news, but just noticed on Aero's Facebook site that Will has parted company and Ken has returned to take up the slack. Good to see old experienced hands at the helm, but a real shame to see Will go. I remember a long telephone conversation we had when I was ordering my first jacket, he answered all my questions and never rushed me along - a genuinely nice guy and I imagine skills that will be very hard to replace.

I can confirm that Will has left the company, but as you said my dad is back here running things, along with my mum Lydia. In the true sense of the words family business, my brother is also returning to the company next week. I can assure you than any attentiveness people have received from Will, will be continued from here on in.

We have a very strong team of staff, and have no worries about any lost skills with Will's departure. In addition to this, we've recently had some incredible new graduates of the local textile university proving themselves to be some of the most skilled machinists we've had in some time, most of who are now fully qualified, or close to being so.

All positive in the Aero camp!

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
We can’t go into all the reasons for Will Lauder leaving but I'm sure some of you are surprised and wondering why. For some years he appeared to want to go in a different direction than the original Aero template.

We hear he plans to set up his own leather company, I assume he’ll be taking a new design direction and using new leathers as there wouldn’t be much point otherwise.

To be fair, and so as not to compete with his new project in any way, we have removed all five of Will’s designs from our range and from out website, these are The Indiana, Radjacke, The HG-5, The Stuart and The Cruiser. Every other design on our site was by Ken Calder, including all the old favourites… The Highwayman which Aero started making in 1983, all the Half Belt varieties, Café Racer, the various Bike jackets, Barnstormer, Rallye, Grizzly etc and the full range of cloth jackets and knitwear.

We’ve also discontinued all Japanese fashion denim, Iron Heart, Flat Head, EightG etc, as is already known we’ve been selling these off at half price for several weeks. Most of which are sold out, but if that's your thing keep an eye and you might be able to grab a bargain!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the explanation, that explains why some jackets disappeared over night. I thought it from poor sales of a particular model. Good luck to both.

Worf

wdw

One Too Many
Kudos to Ken for all those great designs. I didn't realise they were all his.

I met him a few weeks ago and it was a real pleasure. Good luck to you all going forward anyway.

Cooperson

One Too Many
cloudylemonade - Thank you being so honest, I'm sure many were wondering why Will had left after being with you for such along time. Shame to see the Stuart pattern go though, it was always one I had my eye on. Very best wishes to you both.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
No problem, that was my favourite of his designs (tho didn't it originate from a customer, possibly on here?), but it wouldn't be fair of us to continue his designs.

deuxcv

New in Town
seems that iron heart isn't too happy about this. every gallery photo, every item, every forum post re: aero is GONE.

Edward

Bartender
No problem, that was my favourite of his designs (tho didn't it originate from a customer, possibly on here?), but it wouldn't be fair of us to continue his designs.

Not sure about that one... The Radjacke model was based on a custom order for Lounger John Lever. It was, if memory serves, essentially John's redux of an original German thirties motorcycle jacket.

If Will and the company have been interested in taking things in different directions, this seems a logical outcome - as others have said, good luck to both.... and hurray for the buyer's market, which can only benefit from further choice.

cloudylemonade

A-List Customer
Not sure about that one... The Radjacke model was based on a custom order for Lounger John Lever. It was, if memory serves, essentially John's redux of an original German thirties motorcycle jacket.

Think it was perhaps from one of the Aero USA customers.

Graemsay

Practically Family
CloudyLemonade, you've still got the Aero / Ironheart jeans listed as being in stock.

Yes, I am keeping an eye on them. :)

As for Will, I still think it's a real shame. It sounds like it's been a painful experience on both sides, but I'm glad that Aero are continuing in the same vein. (And the jackets I'm interested in are still in production. :)) I agree with Edward on both counts, though.

Cooperson

One Too Many
seems that iron heart isn't too happy about this. every gallery photo, every item, every forum post re: aero is GONE.

I noticed that. If you type 'iron heart Aero leather' in Google images, there are still plenty of photos hanging around of that really nice slim fit cafe racer design with a collar, but they don't link back to the Iron Heart website anymore. Wonder is that was one of Will's collaborations and why there have been issues?

wdw

One Too Many
Looking at the not infrequent Insurrection posts, they seem to be upping their Aero presence quite substantially. So, what with the apparent dropping of the Iron Heart link, this could be the start of the new management strategy.

I'm still waiting to see the 1st October price rises, so am curious why that hasn't happened. Not that I want them, mind.

Interesting times in Aero-land.

deuxcv

New in Town

i don't necessarily agree with that on a principle level, though i don't know the details of the relationship, agreements, and parting of ways. but in my restaurants, if an employee creates a recipe for us that goes on the menu, that recipe is ours and we don't remove it from our offerings if that employee leaves. outside of specific agreements to the contrary, i would think that that same principle would hold true for garment design origins.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
The people behind Aero consistently show that they care. Not only for their product, but also for their customers and, obviously, for their employees and even former employees. I imagine that their employee turnover is very low. I wish more businesses were so people oriented.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto