Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stanley Aladdin Thermos

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm sure many of you are familiar with the classic green Stanley Aladdin thermos that used to grace many a working man's home.

In a most unfortunate turn of events, I've lost mine after some years (it's no longer in my storage, and no longer in my home - thus, who knows where it's gone off to) and I was going to replace it when I found out the following:

"Seattle, WA based Pacific Market International (PMI), founded by Rob Harris in 1983, purchases the Stanley and Aladdin brands. As a brand of PMI, Stanley product management and design moves to Seattle, WA and manufacturing moves to Shanghai, China to join PMI's already thriving network of manufacturing facilities."
Stanley PMI Website

So I ask you knowledgable ladies and gents -

Do any of you know of an American made thermos that is similar to, or better than, the old Stanley Aladdin thermoses? Your help is much appreciated!

nihil

One of the Regulars
I don't know about American ones, but Primus of Sweden still make absolutely top quality thermos. They should be available in the US as well.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I did not know that about the Aladdin - too bad. I've had mine for 20+years and I don't plan to replace it - ever. Might check on eBay for a "vintage" one. Replaement caps and lids are readily available (but probably made off-shore).

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
I see alot these, as well as thermos' of all type and age, at the Goodwill stores. That is if you don't mind a used thermos....

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I can't find any information on their website about where their products are manufactured, which probably bodes badly, but Thermos is still making their classic work thermos.

2520_Enlargement.png

jeep44

One of the Regulars
I carried one of these for years at work-kept my coffee hot through a 12 hour day. I have picked up several US-made ones at yard sales. I fill them up with bleach and water for a few days, and they are good to go again. Maybe the Chinese ones are just as good, but this is just one of my little protests against offshoring everything.

Undertow

Maybe the Chinese ones are just as good, but this is just one of my little protests against offshoring everything.

Ah, the devil is in the details! Let this be a warning to any unwary readers!

From all information I could find, it appears the previous Stanley Aladdin models were built in the USA (specifically, Nashville, TN) and were made of a thicker steel. You can test this out by holding a "vintage" model in one hand and a newer model in the other - notice the newer model feels like a feather. Also, there is anecdotal evidence (unfortunately, nothing verifiable) that says the older thermoses also had a thin layer of charcoal sandwiched between the two steel shells which provided added heat absorbtion.

In any case, I can tell you from first hand experience that the older thermoses would hold hot liquids up to 8-10 hours, while the current models are lucky to hold a temperature 3 hours. That's not simply a difference in quality as far as I'm concerned - it's really a different product.

I've never been a fan of bogus Chinese junk being sold under trusted names, but this has recently taken the cake for me. :(

*UPDATE - I was able to aquire an older Stanley Aladdin in mint condition! Here's to hot coffee and emergency cooking again!

Undertow

8-10 hours? More like 24 plus hours.

lol Exactly. When I took my Stanley Aladdin with me to an early morning CCW course in December about 7 years ago, I was pleased to find my car at about 2 degrees F, and my coffee piping hot just like it was when I put it in.

I did use one of the newer ones once (someone lent it to me), and I thought for sure it was broken or cracked. No - just doesn't hold any heat. Turns out China isn't too worried about how well they produce something, so long as it's produced.

Nigel

One of the Regulars
I got one of these Stanley flasks for my birthday this year. I found it's better than all the other cheap flasks I've had and it keeps my coffee hot for a full 12 hour shift.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
lol Exactly. When I took my Stanley Aladdin with me to an early morning CCW course in December about 7 years ago, I was pleased to find my car at about 2 degrees F, and my coffee piping hot just like it was when I put it in.

I did use one of the newer ones once (someone lent it to me), and I thought for sure it was broken or cracked. No - just doesn't hold any heat. Turns out China isn't too worried about how well they produce something, so long as it's produced.

What happens too, is that these big retailers tell the manufacturer; "oh Cheap-Mart can't put your product on our shelves for $24.99 our studies show our customers will not pay more than $19.99 for such product" Then the manufacturer has to figure out how to make it so Cheap-Mart can sell it for $19.99. Well, cut down on quality. Unfortunately the average consumer is unable to discern between cheap and quality so of course they flock over and buy it at $19.99 and say; "gosh I remember these were $27.99 a couple years ago".

Undertow

"gosh I remember these were $27.99 a couple years ago".

lol, hit the nail on the head. Someone I work with ACTUALLY SAID THAT. "Huh, I remember when those things used to be $25, and they lasted forever."

Thank god my dad's mom hordes peculiar items! I've got a nice old Stanley Aladdin in mint condition that's been sitting in her cupboard since she bought it.

TheBeak

One of the Regulars
OK, here's my Stanley bottle story.

I had one for about 20 years, but last year it stopped keeping things hot. I called the 800 number, and after a quick conversation they dispatched a replacement to me right away free of charge. - and the didn't want the old one back.

so - I have some experience with both....

here they are, early 90's model (bought about spring of 92), manufactured in Tenn, and a 2010 model they sent as a replacement made in China. I snapped a pic just for this thread, so here it is. Flash made things look terrible, so its blurry since I'm too lazy to break out the tripod.

166263_1518289402593_1395261571_31136400_3680020_n.jpg

they are nearly identical in weight, at 2 lbs, 9 oz, and 2 lbs, 10 oz respective. Fit and finish on the old bottle are better. Better looking welds, better precision on the handle mold, and better looking hammered paint finish.

The new bottle keeps coffee steaming hot for most of a day (8 or 9 hours), and hot enough to drink all day. (I have not taken temperature drop readings to support this.) Doesn't sound all that good compared to the legendary US made bottle, but honestly I dont remember the US made one being really any better, even when new. It would NOT keep coffee steaming hot 15-20 hours, even when new.

The issue is with the steel liners. A glass lined thermos of any brand will keep temperature longer than a steel bottle like the Stanley - at the expense of toughness. The Stanley bottle will live as tough as you do, and still do a pretty good job of keeping coffee hot. You get one drop with a glass bottle.

If I were spending money today, Id probably buy another Stanley. It works well, and their support for their product is hard to argue with. (you just have to get around the idea of sending money to the red monster.)

EDIT: I forgot to add, I like the cap on the old one better. It holds less, but it keeps coffee hot better when used as a cup so I use it instead of the new one. I put the caps on the "correct" bottles for the picture, but promptly reversed them again to put the new bottle back into its normal configuration before I put them away. The inner lid on the other hand I like tons better on the new one.

Last edited:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I'm on the look out for one by either Aladdin/Stanley or Thermos that will fit in a vintage dome lunch box. Basically with cup and all it cannot be more than 9 3/4" tall. Maybe even one that is the red tartan plaid. I have a vintage dome lunchbox coming that I am going to refurbish for daily use and I will need a thermos to fit within the lid. Vintage NOS preferred to kind of match the lunch box. Something good for holding soups and such. Thanks for any tips gang.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well I finally found one on ebay for $7.00. Looks like the second image I posted above and is NOS. Has one tiny little rust spot near the bottom about the size of a pin head. I think I can live with that. It is 9 3/4" tall so it will fit within my dome lunchbox. I can now enjoy hot soups for lunch this autumn and winter.:D

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko