Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Star Sportswear A-2 Project (Made By Greatest Generation Clothing Co.)

Technonut

Practically Family
The more I viewed my pics, the more I didn't quite like how the fit looked. The Star is supposed to be a trim jacket, with little to no blousing. I personally like my A-2's trim, hence, one of the reasons I swapped the GW Perry to begin with. As posted, I also didn't like the fullness in the jacket's upper arms. Today, I decided it was time to take action. ;)

Before:

IMG_2967_zps9zo90hld.jpg

After:

IMG_2984%203_zpsuutlvjyb.jpg

Before:

IMG_2978%202_zpsctyctwch.jpg

After:

IMG_2985%202_zpsghc1ffvn.jpg

Before:

IMG_2981%202_zpscmadd9q4.jpg

After:

IMG_2988%202_zpsdbsc5y8f.jpg

More After:

IMG_2990_zpso6dii6uf.jpg

IMG_2991_zpsdzlmykoz.jpg

To my eyes, the Star now looks 'right'.. and fits like a dream. :) Steve cut a great pattern, and constructed the jacket well. Sometimes, one just has to waterboard the SOB into submission if it doesn't cooperate. :cool: :eek: :D

Technonut

Practically Family
Well, that about wraps-up 'Project Star'... ;) In closing, I can say that by previously owning repro jackets from Eastman, RMNZ, Aero, GW, and others, Steve S's work (cutting, stitching, etc.), is just about on par with any of them. With some slight tweaks, his Star A-2 pattern will be right-on-the-money. :) Here are some final pics:

IMG_2997_zpsyhz3bglj.jpg

IMG_2999_zps9vaejg7c.jpg

IMG_3001_zpsh9mccc4t.jpg

IMG_3004_zpsp6lesx4u.jpg

IMG_3007_zpsc0kg2x6g.jpg

Next up: Steve is starting work on another AN-J-3 for me. :) This one will be made from seal Indian goat (which has reddish undertones), with red (brick) rib-rack knits (as found on his authentic original), and a cotton A-2-style lining (also in a brick color). The zipper will be a late 1940's Talon. :cool: Here's a pic of the Indian goat with the knits to show contrast:

IMG_3206_zps4rgd2nut.jpg

Technonut

Practically Family
What a lovely jacket.....enjoy :) looking forwards to ANJ-3 pics in due course...

Thanks! :) Sure thing on the AN pics when completed. I'm REALLY looking forward to this one. ;)

Love it! Steve is really making a name for himself with these jackets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you! :) Steve is talented for certain, and I think folks will be seeing more and more of his work. I'm enjoying the Star even more since I 'fixed' the fit more to my liking. Of course, I can't really wear it much beyond the cranked-up AC of my man-cave for now, but I'm going to put it through it's paces when fall rolls around. ;)

I applied conditioner after the jacket fully dried, and it is very supple, yet sturdy. Steve really did cut a nice pattern, and constructed the Star well. More pics:

IMG_3011_zpssevhnyff.jpg

IMG_3013_zpstw99ztwi.jpg

IMG_3020_zpsah2yhkqp.jpg

IMG_3017_zps1x9n1i6k.jpg

IMG_3022_zpsjbvfbuvz.jpg

IMG_3021_zpsiiyctydz.jpg

IMG_3023_zps2s3rhgh0.jpg

EDIT:

I noticed the collar looks pretty wrinkled in the pics above, but did manage to straighten it out some... Much better, huh? :)

IMG_3032_zpstt6gueoe.jpg

IMG_3031_zpsntqkoy9l.jpg

EDIT: I've been wearing the Star as much as Summer, and my AC will allow. It's looking better and better after each wearing:

IMG_3042_zpsnhcddpjo.jpg

IMG_3046_zpsqxbkrcw7.jpg

IMG_3047_zps7mhcmpxf.jpg

IMG_3048_zpsnyfthnlj.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner