Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stars And Their Hobbies

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I seem to recall a picture in a Gary Cooper biography of Coop working on or repairing one of his hunting rifles. He often hunted with Ernest Hemingway.

Elaina

One Too Many
I'm on an origami pen pal list that includes a well-known actress; she sends her original diagrams along with everyone else, and another actor is on a quilting block exchange I know of (I don't quilt, but I've seen his squares.) Only thing is, they make darn sure no one will give their address out to anyone else before sending anything, since it's their home one.

Hey they're people too. May not have alot of off time, but we all have something to do when we have nothing else to do.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Quigley Brown said:
I remember reading an article once about how stereo cameras were the hot and trendy things that 1940s movie stars were all playing with.

Silent film legend Harold Lloyd took many "3-D" pictures that his daughter recently published into book that came complete with 3-D glasses. He also took many nudie photos around his mansion's pool. Hot-cha-cha.

BRS

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
If I Might Stretch the Meaning of Star...

John Von Neumann was a star in the field of mathematics and a computer science pioneer. His hobby is also his connection to Hollywood. He owned a successful sports car dealership in Hollywood. He was also one of the first Volkswagen dealers in the USA!

Feraud

Bartender
Being a very amateur shutterbug I can appreciate the effort put forth by one of my favorite Rat Packers.
See: Photos by Sammy Davis, Jr.
Sammy Davis Jr.—iconic, legendary, in a word, classic. While the world has long known of Davis's unparalleled abilities to sing, dance, and act, only his closest friends and associates knew of his amazing talent and passion for photography. Now, in this collection of never-before-seen photos, Burt Boyar, Davis's longtime friend, exposes these memorable images for generations of his fans, portraying a side of Davis that has long remained a secret to the world at large. Here are Davis's candid shots including his closest friends—Frank Sinatra, Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Jerry Lewis, Dean Martin, Sean Connery, and Paul Newman—not to mention scores of the twentieth century's biggest stars captured at their most casual and revealing moments.

A major car buff, Rudolf Valentino loved fast cars, and being mechanically-inclined, one of his great pleasures in life was working on them.

valentino+in+his+workshop+2.jpg

rv-car.JPG

Espee

Practically Family
Reginald Denny owned a hobby shop in his later years.

Frank Sinatra photographed an Ali fight for LIFE.

Eddie "Rochester" Anderson had HO scale trains, and Yul Brynner collected trains as well.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Jimmy Stuart and Henry Fonda would build and fly free flight gas powered model airplanes. Peter Fonda said it was fun to watch them build the planes. Hours of Jimmy saying B5, C9, A3 and Henry handing him the corresponding peace! That would go on all weekend long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points