Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Starter Hats

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I ran a couple of searched on the forum and the most recent thread that I found on starter hats dated to about 2005, I was not sure which was the greater of evils: resurrecting an obviously dead thread, or starting a new one. Obviously, I chose to start a new thread, rather than resurrect. I hope you'll forgive me if I've chosen wrongly.

At this time, I own a Cabela's Felt Outback (complete with earflaps), and a Stetson Explorer, and a straw fedora, the maker of which escapes me at the moment. I'm looking to expand my hat selection and am currently eyeballing the South Street Fedora and the High Roller Diamond Crown, both from Hats in the Belfry. At the price they're charging, I don't expect them to be in the same league with a nice Borsolino or Akubra, but they look like decent hats. Surely someone around here has some experience with these hats?

Any thoughts on those, or other advice for those of us just venturing into the wide, wide world of hats would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aabraxan

flylot74

One of the Regulars
I'm fairly new here but I thought I would toss my $ .02 in. You stated you were interested in both hats. I inferred that meant you were considering buying both. May I suggest that you take the same amount of "drachma" and invest in one better quality hat. I think you would be much more satisfied with one better quality hat than two of lesser caliber.

It's sort of like buying the most expensive hat you can't afford. :D

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Perhaps I should have been more clear. I am interested in both hats. In all likelihood, though, I'll only buy one, at least initially.

RBH

Bartender
I cant help you on the hats, but I have a big WELCOME for a fellow Arkansawyer!:eusa_clap

Let me edit this to add that for the money you cant go wrong with Akubra.
Then hopefully you will be ready for one of the custom hatters that hang around this place!

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Aabraxan said:
I ran a couple of searched on the forum and the most recent thread that I found on starter hats dated to about 2005, I was not sure which was the greater of evils: resurrecting an obviously dead thread, or starting a new one. Obviously, I chose to start a new thread, rather than resurrect. I hope you'll forgive me if I've chosen wrongly.

At this time, I own a Cabela's Felt Outback (complete with earflaps), and a Stetson Explorer, and a straw fedora, the maker of which escapes me at the moment. I'm looking to expand my hat selection and am currently eyeballing the South Street Fedora and the High Roller Diamond Crown, both from Hats in the Belfry. At the price they're charging, I don't expect them to be in the same league with a nice Borsolino or Akubra, but they look like decent hats. Surely someone around here has some experience with these hats?

Any thoughts on those, or other advice for those of us just venturing into the wide, wide world of hats would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aabraxan
First and foremost, WELCOME!

Now, down to the nitty-gritty: I've gotten a couple of hats from Hats In The Belfry and, to be quite honest, if I had done some more research, I probably could have gotten them elsewhere for less! From that realization on, I've done some Google work, lined up links to just about every online hatter out there, and then comparative shopped. I like a bargain, damn it!

As for a good hat vs. starter hat - If you like it, it's a GOOD hat! But, and again a lesson learned from experience, it's not about quantity so much as it is about quality for me now. Instead of dropping fifty a pop on mid-range hats, I hold off and save towards something of a higher end. They ain't good hats if they ain't on your head... Folks here know A LOT, so don't be afraid to ask!

Good hunting.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Aabraxan,
Based on the hats you currently have, the ones you're looking at probably compare most closely to the Cabela's hat you have in terms of quality. I don't know the Stetson Explorer, but it's probably the highest quality hat you've got. So, if you're looking to climb up a rung, these are not the hats to do it with. However, if you just want another inexpensive hat to broaden your selection, then these are it. Just don't expect anything better than the Cabela's, and possibly not even that good. I've gone through these sorts of starter hats, and that's exactly what they are. If you're gentle, they will last a while. Mine did.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Thanks to one and all for the responses. They're quite helpful. I'm sure I'll eventually want to move up the ladder in terms of quality; I just don't think I'm ready to make a huge leap in price until I have a better idea of what I like and what I will actually wear. (e.g. "good hats" :D ).

Not-Bogart13, I suspect you're right about the Stetson vs. Cabela's quality issue. I think the Stetson's felt might be a little thicker, but I'm more than a little on the newbish side at judging. The Stetson says "Mello Felt" on the inside, while the Cabela's says "Lite Felt," if that tells anyone anything. Neither is what you'd call top-of-the-line, but I find both to be quite wearable.

RBH said:
I cant help you on the hats, but I have a big WELCOME for a fellow Arkansawyer!:eusa_clap
Now that is a term rarely heard! :cheers1:

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes.

mineral

One of the Regulars
Aabraxan, from one new member to another, welcome. :)

Actually, do you have a problem with buying vintage? For the $35 or so of these hats you ought to be able to find a pretty decent vintage hat, which you might find much better as a starting hat than a wool felt hat that might badly shrink?

Just a thought.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
No, I wouldn't say I have a problem with buying a vintage hat. In fact, my wife just bought me a vintage Dobbs fedora. Unfortunately, said Dobbs turned out to be too small, which is why I didn't list it among hats I own. It will either be back on ebay (OFAS, I believe it's called?), or in the Classifieds here, soon. There are some practical considerations, though.

1) Sizing: I'm at least a 7 3/8, and quite possibly a 7 1/2. The seller of the aforementioned Dobbs either misread or misrepresented the size of the hat. She said it was a Large, but the tag clearly says Medium. What I don't know is if a 50-year old Medium is the same size as a new Medium.

2) Vintage hat shopping. There's not a single hat store where I live, and the few vintage stores around here want an arm and a leg for a decent vintage hat, from what I've seen. And buying new allows me to take advantage of return policies, which may or may not exist with vintage items, depending on the seller.

3) I'm not a very good collector. Frankly, I'm going to have to learn to take care of my hats, because I don't have much of a clue yet. I'm not one to buy an item and then put it in a UV-proof container so that I can look at it. I like to use stuff that I buy. Vintage hats are a finite quantity and if I really mess one up, I'd rather it were a new one that can be replaced.

Even with all that said, though, I've got my eye out for a nice vintage hat.

mineral

One of the Regulars
Ah, a fellow 59-60 cm head! :)

I hope your problem with the Dobbs hat resolve well in your favor. Anyway, if I were you, I wouldn't worry about not being a good collector. As long as you aren't using your hat as a soccer ball replacement the hats ought to be fine. And don't feel bad about exhausting a finite supply of vintage hats. I walked by a vintage clothings store today, only to be badly disappointed to hear that the Halloween costume shoppers bought up nearly all the hats. With competitors for vintage hats like that, I suspect you will have to try really hard to dish out a more ignominious and undeserving end to any vintage hat you buy.

Duck

Practically Family
Aabraxan said:
3) I'm not a very good collector. Frankly, I'm going to have to learn to take care of my hats, because I don't have much of a clue yet. I'm not one to buy an item and then put it in a UV-proof container so that I can look at it. I like to use stuff that I buy. Vintage hats are a finite quantity and if I really mess one up, I'd rather it were a new one that can be replaced.
Welcome to a great forum. The amount of knowledge that one can find here is amazing.
Don't be afraid to wear the vintage hats like what you find on OFAS. These are what I wear every day!!!!!:D

Spats McGee

One Too Many
mineral said:
Ah, a fellow 59-60 cm head! :)
Makes getting hats that fit oh-so-easy, doesn't it?

mineral said:
I hope your problem with the Dobbs hat resolve well in your favor.
Oh, it'll work out. We got it at a pretty reasonable price and I'll find a place to sell it.

mineral said:
Anyway, if I were you, I wouldn't worry about not being a good collector. As long as you aren't using your hat as a soccer ball replacement the hats ought to be fine. And don't feel bad about exhausting a finite supply of vintage hats. I walked by a vintage clothings store today, only to be badly disappointed to hear that the Halloween costume shoppers bought up nearly all the hats. With competitors for vintage hats like that, I suspect you will have to try really hard to dish out a more ignominious and undeserving end to any vintage hat you buy.
That does sound rather ignominious . . . I'm decently careful with my hats, but there may be some hat-shaping in my future. Like I said, I still have my eye out for a good vintage hat.

Duck said:
Welcome to a great forum. The amount of knowledge that one can find here is amazing.
Don't be afraid to wear the vintage hats like what you find on OFAS. These are what I wear every day!!!!!

Thanks and I won't be afraid to. That's what makes me such a bad collector! :)

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Starius, you may be right. Unfortunately, I don't think the BCF here in my town carries hats, and I can't locate them on the BCF website. It's been a while since I've been in that store, so I'll check it out again, but I don't recall any hats being there.

Havana

One of the Regulars
My best advice for a low cost new hat is to perhaps try a Jaxon Iconoclast or Bogart. These seem like very decent hats for the money and would definitely be a step up from a wool fedora. You don't have to spend big bucks to get a good hat but you do have to spend something. If you're really going to use it and wear it, it's a better use of your money to buy a fur felt Jaxon for around $75 than a wool hat for $40. Watch the online auctions too. I've picked up several "as new" Akubras over the years for under $25. I've bought two Snowy River models and made them into decent fedoras.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_iconoclast.html

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Aabraxan said:
Starius, you may be right. Unfortunately, I don't think the BCF here in my town carries hats, and I can't locate them on the BCF website. It's been a while since I've been in that store, so I'll check it out again, but I don't recall any hats being there.

It would be RARE for a Burlington Coat Factory to not have any hats. They were late getting in new shipments, but several locations have just gotten theirs. What you are looking for is fur felt. When you touch it, it feels soft and smooth! Prices run from $9.99 (last year's markdowns) to about $29.99 (Still a bargain). :)

Spats McGee

One Too Many
J.T.Marcus said:
It would be RARE for a Burlington Coat Factory to not have any hats. They were late getting in new shipments, but several locations have just gotten theirs. What you are looking for is fur felt. When you touch it, it feels soft and smooth! Prices run from $9.99 (last year's markdowns) to about $29.99 (Still a bargain). :)
There are two BCFs in town. I've only been into one and, as I mentioned, didn't remember there being any hats there. However, I went to the other one during my lunch and, lo and behold, it's not one of the rare BCFs without hats! They had fedoras, porkpies and even a bowler! :cool2: Prices ranged, from I saw from $12.99 to $19.99. I suspect there are hats outside that range, but they are very, very reasonable. Granted, the hats don't feel like the same quality as my Stetson or my Cabela's, but, at the very least, it gives me a place where I can go try on hats and look in a mirror. Thanks for the tips!

Havana said:
My best advice for a low cost new hat is to perhaps try a Jaxon Iconoclast or Bogart. These seem like very decent hats for the money and would definitely be a step up from a wool fedora.
I have to admit that the Iconoclast in that link is certainly one fine looking hat! Nice selection, Havana.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
:mad: I tried the BCF route and ended up with nothing while deelovely walked out with 4 or 5 hats:( :eek: Oh, well

lol lol lol lol lol

Hey. Aabraxan! Hopefully Sunday I'll be posting a couple of hats for sale that might fit you. (7 3/8 and 7 1/2) Keep your eye on the Classifieds. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points